RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:17 pm 

What humidity level seems reasonable to help keep rust and tarnish away in the gun safe?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:45 pm 
Hawkeye

I think I'm okay at 30-55% and have never had a problem. I do have a humidifier pack in my safe for the summer months when the humidity can get in the very low 60's with my new heat pump.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 pm 
Hawkeye

I like 30-40% tops. My safes seem to be very consistent at ~35-37% in any season. Nothing dries out and nothing rusts. Our AC systems do a good job of humidity control when in cooling mode, (Typically ~32-35%) but I still use the desiccant packs as Cholo suggested. They seem to take the fluctuations out of the equation.

However, here in Az, we have a fairly predictable weather pattern. I always recommend the inexpensive Acurite digital temperature/humidity meter from Walmart or similar. (Walmart usually has 'em for $11 or $12 bucks) They are very accurate, reliable and compact. Hang a dew-point chart inside each safe, and you can quickly know from temperature and humidity what the dew point is at any particular time, and whether or not you're at any risk for moisture condensing on your stuff.

Here's a PDF of a Dew Point chart you can print out: https://protective.sherwin-williams.com ... hart_f.pdf

The setup I described gives anyone a good idea of their conditions, and can thus develop strategies as necessary to stave off problems.

Good luck!
Regards, Pete

ETA: I forgot to mention that the little Acu-Rite devices feature a high/low peak function so you'll be able to tell what's been going on inside your safe when you're not watching. The image below represents about 10 months of temperature and humidity activity. (I generally change pouches and refresh the battery each Labor Day. )

The dip in temperature reflects our horrible Arizona 'winter' months. ;) The desiccant pouches do a tremendous job of keeping the environment stable. In the past 10 months, I've never been close to the average dew point of ~48 Degrees.

I consider this to be an extraordinarily stable environment.

“No power was given to Congress to infringe on any one of the natural rights of the people by this Constitution, and, should they attempt it without constitutional authority, the act would be a nullity, and could not be enforced.” -Theophilus Parsons at the Massachusetts ratifying convention

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:22 am 
Single-Sixer

At 55-60% I've never had a problem with rust (or mold, or mildew) on anything in my basement.
To keep it there I have two dehumidifiers that each remove 3+ gallons of water per day in the summer.
In the winter it stays around 30-35% naturally so the dehumidifiers are off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:17 pm 
Single-Sixer

Condensation is the enemy not the humidity. I've kept a Golden Rod in my safe since 1999 and have never had a single speck of rust on any of my guns. The Golden Rod is not a dehumidifier, as some people think, it's a heat source that will keep the moisture from condensing.

I've had my safe inside my house and I've had it in the garage in one of my houses and in the basement in another one and I've never had any rust. As long as the moisture doesn't condensate your guns won't rust.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:24 am 
Single-Sixer

I have a golden rod, humidor humidity meter (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-ITH-10-T ... 05&sr=1-10), and a can of desiccant (https://azlibertysafe.com/accessory-des ... pg-18.html). Having lived on the east coast, Texas and now AZ, I like the humidity between 27-35%.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:16 pm 
Buckeye

Living in the Pacific North Wet -- AKA Washington -- rust, condensation, mould, etc., can be/is a problem. Found the east, easiest, and cheapest solution is -- as others stated -- to install a "Golden Rod."