RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hot enough for you ?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:46 am 
Buckeye

Dad didn't like AC, none in the house, in fact he never bought a car or truck with that option. Mom's wishes weren't consulted, and when I got my first job on a farm, at age 16, my first paycheck went for a window AC unit for my bedroom. Ahhh, what luxury!

My wife asked me if the lawn was going to get mowed this weekend. I told her it has an equal chance of getting snowed on as mowed on. Ain't happening!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:22 am 
Hawkeye

kramden wrote:
I always laugh at these idiots like AOC. Climate change hysteria. I'm 70 years old and have learned that the weather is the weather. I've experienced cold summers - hot summers. Warm winters - extremely cold winters. Grew up with no A/C at home ,in school or in the Army barracks. Feel quite blessed to have it today. People are suckered so easily. Everyone must think life was always unicorns and rainbows before Trump got in office. IMO God created us and put everything in and on this earth for our use and survival.

My better half and I were speaking of this just a few days ago. I don't remember where the first place I lived had a/c. I know it was sometime after 1964 so I would have been about 27-28. Big fans were all I had growing up. If you didn't have it you couldn't miss it. I do remember Reads Drug store in Annapolis had a sign on their door that said "Air conditioned" and "Come in it is cool".

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:40 am 
Bearcat

I like it hot. The hotter, the better. I never complain March-November. Winter is the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:09 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi Kevin Keith, seems like there was a small Smith forum member with the same ID years ago, if it is you great to see you again, if not my mistake.

I prefer Fall, I love the cooler weather because Texas Summers can be sweltering and I love that the year end holidays are coming up!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:13 pm 
Hawkeye

This is today at 5:15 pm. A wee bit more than yesterday. They, the weather prognosticators, say that it is REALLY supposed to get hot on Sunday. I can hardly wait.

Maryland Shall Issue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:22 pm 
Buckeye

Weather is just that.....weather. Summer is hot, winter is cold.......that being said, I'll take cold over hot any day. I can always put on more clothes or build a fire.....but, I can only take off so much before folks start pointing and laughing........ :roll:

Last edited by tinman on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm 
Hunter

In the Summer of 1896 there was a 10 day killer heat wave that hit NYC-1,500 deaths, mostly tenement dwellers.
That came 8 years after the Great Blizzard of 1888.
Here in Central NJ we had several 100 degree days in the Summer of 1966-and I didn't have A/C then.
I lived on the Upper East Side of Manhattan 1960-61, recall the movie theaters advertising they were air conditioned.
My mother mentioned seeing a picture from the UK heat wave of 1955, showed a banner headline " Heat Wave-76 and rising!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:54 am 
Hawkeye

blackhawknj wrote:
My mother mentioned seeing a picture from the UK heat wave of 1955, showed a banner headline " Heat Wave-76 and rising!"

As the CAP exchange Cadet for Maryland in June of 1954 I went to the British Isles. While there we toured a lot. We were in Plymouth and the temp hit somewhere in the low 70s. You would have thought it was a HEAT WAVE. The beaches were mobbed.

Maryland Shall Issue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
I vaguely remember Gramps telling me of one year when he had guys in a hay crew passing out from the heat in the daytime but you needed a jacket after the sun went down. I also remember Dad telling me how he and his brother nearly came to blows over who would work on the root cellar rather than help cut firewood simply because the root cellar was 20 degrees cooler and out of the sun. I'e come to give a lot of consideration to the idea that weather (in the midwest) come in 40 year cycles between mild and extreme. People have the choice, they can adjust or they can roll over and die.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going out to the screened in porch and snap the green beans I got out of the garden earlier this morning. I have visions of them in a pot with a bacon end or two and maybe some corn bread for dinner. I would rather worry about the things I can do something about and leave the weather in the hands of Him with infinite knowledge.

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:42 pm 
Single-Sixer

My 15 year old daughter and I were in the truck Friday heading to town and she made a comment about how hot it was, it was 100°. Got me to thinking. When I was her age I would have been in a tobacco field working, topping or pulling suckers this time of year. The heat didn't really seem that bad back then. I sure wouldn't want to do it now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:58 pm 
Hunter

If I am driving by myself I prefer to have the windows open, listen to the road, be aware of the road.
I live in an apartment, use window units. Came home on a summer night a few years ago, the unit in my bedroom was kaput. GE labeled, made in the PRC. I paid good money for that unit-$20 at a yard sale. Ran it for about 300 days, each day cost me $0.056. Pulled it out, installed another one, still going strong. Another GE, made in Thailand-paid $45 at a Goodwill store.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 pm 
Hawkeye

Today was interesting. High temp was not that bad (for around here) at 104.
Humidity was up a bit at not quite 40%, a few sprinkles of rain.

This evening I was over at my daughters and looked out the window. Said I - "I'm
headed home before that front gets here." I got in my house with everything
buttoned up and in a few seconds it started to rain. Two tenths in ten minutes
(yawn), but the temperature went from 104 to 78 in that ten minutes. Humidity was
about 75%.

Still blowing but only about ten mph. Daughter lost a few roof panels. Guess I
know what the son-in-law will be doing tomorrow. :roll:

P.S. He retires Friday. 8)
Has to drop off equipment that many of us would love to have, on Thursday. :wink:

Update:
01:24 (3-1/2 hours later):
NWS says Temp is 78, Dew Point 71!
But it's a DRY heat :roll: . :roll: . :roll:

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am 
Buckeye

I grew up working outdoors. Dad owned an asphalt paving business. In the early years, his workforce were all of his sons, and sometimes, on a larger job, a relative or two would join in. In the beginning, shoveling ten tons of hot (275-325 degree) asphalt out of a dump truck, all before lunch, was pretty common. I also worked as a section hand for the N&W Railroad both in a yard and out on the main-line.....and did a stint as a deckhand on a river tug on the Mississippi, before going in the Army. After discharge I moved to Texas for a LEO job in the DFW area. My first full Texas summer was 1980. Having never been to Texas before, I just figured that what I had heard was true.......Texas in the summertime is hot. So, when my first full summer (1980) came around, I just assumed this was just a normal Texas summer........didn't give it much thought till the locals told me it was not always this warm:

A few highlights from that year:

The summer of 1980 broke or tied 29 daily records, many of which still stand to this day.

The highest of those: twin 113-degree readings on June 26 and 27

All 31 days of July were hotter than 99 degrees

28 days over 105 degrees

69 days above 100 degrees, 42 of which were consecutive

Only 1.96 inches of rain

I am thankful for A/C.....but I do try to keep its use to a minimum :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm 
Hawkeye

If you don't like the heat, stick around. It will be cold soon enough. I grew up in the tropics. We had two seasons - hot and dry and hot and wet. How about that?

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:43 pm 
Hunter

58 degrees on the west side of San Francisco right now. High fog. Tonight the fog will descend and we'll have wet drizzly fog. Rinse and repeat through the first half of September.
Ten miles from here it's well over 90.
The Golden Gate is the only break in the Coast Range for hundreds of miles. When the San Joaquin Valley heats up the fog is drawn in with a vengeance....