RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 am 
Ruger Guru

Some folks just don't care about themselves or others.

I spent this past weekend at OGCA with the ROCS displays & all. Somewhere, somehow,, somebody was around me & was sick. I picked up a nasty chest & head cold. I've been congested, raw sore throat, & coughing since Monday. It was in full force yesterday,, to the point I've coughed so much all my muscles in my chest & stomach hurt.

If a person is sick,, they should get treatment, AND avoid others,, ESPECIALLY a crowded place like the OGCA show. Since I got home,, and realized I was getting sick,, I have postponed work, and stayed in trying to get over this. I've been taking my normal OTC medications that have worked for me in the past,, and I HATE taking pills of any kind. But I realize that sometimes it's necessary. I'm thinking that the worst of it is just past,, and I'm on the mend right now. I'm sore as heck from coughing,, and it hurts to cough,, but my throat is not as raw, and my congestion has began to settle down.

But it appalls me how some folks think; "Aww,, I'm not too bad,, let's go to the gun show anyway," and infect others they come in contact with. I had to go out Monday to a customer's house to set groundhog traps. Before I went,, I told the lady to NOT get close to me, as I was getting sick,, and did not want to spread it. I didn't go anywhere else and avoided people. I have to go & get a groundhog later,, and the lady will be gone when I go. I'll not pass along my sickness to others if I can help it.

And if anybody else who was at ROCS got this crud,, we should team up & whup the person who spread it to us!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 am 
Hunter

Take a cruise sometime. Three cruises in the last three years. Seriously sick by the time I got home each time. Some people were walking germ factories!

Conservative Republican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:42 am 
Hawkeye

Yep, I know what you mean. 5 deep breaths every hour while you are awake will help to clear it. Breathing is a pump for the lymph/immune system, plus it keeps your lungs from sticking together, which leads to pneumonia.
gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:34 am 
Hawkeye

I attribute my run of good health to vitamins, no grandchildren nearby, and working in a place where people wear masks. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:57 am 
Hawkeye

I honestly feel for you. I just got over a bout of the galloping crud about a week ago. My doc prescribed an anti-biotic and some other pill to help dry me out. I too am not a pill person. I felt like swallowing a brick to get one of them down.

NRA
Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:15 am 
Hawkeye

Well contender, if it is a virus, you are stuck with it until it runs its course.
However, if it is just a cold (and even a few of the virus') start with 500 mg of
vitamin C and a large glass of water. Follow that with another 250mg of C and
8oz of water PER HOUR. Most times you can kill it in less than one day.

I got that from a manager at work MANY years ago. I was skeptical, until I tried
it. Worked very well. In fact, after I first tried it, I maintained a bottle of Vit C in
my desk at work until I retired. - - - War story continued - - - One of the guys at
work came in one morning looking like warmed over death. I asked him why he
was even in, and he said there were several things that HAD to be done that
morning. I gave him the description and a small hand full of Vit C. (about 8am)
About an hour after lunch he stuck his head in (looking a LOT better) and said
"WOW, THAT STUFF WORKS!"

YMMV :D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am 
Hunter

I retired from a VA medical center. I was always appalled at how many employees showed up for work sick...nothing like infecting a vulnerable patient population. Saw the same thing at UC Med.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 pm 
Hawkeye

Hope you feel better! At least you didn't fly. Planes are just giant germ factories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:43 pm 
Hunter

I have been taking Vitamin C for over 20 years, am out in the weather, bicycle to work year round-here in Central NJ. Linus Pauling was right.
Getting proper care ? Even with all these insurance programs that can still blast a hole in people's budgets.
Calling off from work ? Same thing. Lots of companies either don't offer sick days or take them out of vacation.
And some people do have a sense of dedication.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:09 pm 
Hawkeye

And people wonder how a pandemic can happen...…. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:19 pm 
Hawkeye

It sounds like bronchitis, which you could have gotten in any number of ways that had nothing to do with anybody else. I'm an expert on the stuff, having had it about 7 times in the last 6 years, and I didn't get it FROM anyone else any time. And no one got it from me, either. It just happens sometimes.

Get checked out and get some prescriptions.

Strange as it sounds, Mucinex or the Walmart equivalent will do wonders for your cough.

Good luck and get well soon.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:39 pm 
Ruger Guru

Well, I'm glad to say that things appear to be on the upswing. My congestion is being treated with sudafed. I was able to sleep last night w/o a lot of drainage.
My cough has settled into my chest, and as such,, the coughing has caused the muscles associated with that to hurt when I cough.
And yes,, I'm doing the vitamin C stuff. Not quite as much as mentioned above,, so maybe I'll increase it some.
My throat seems to take spells of scratchiness, then seems ok. Lots of fluids as well.

But,, my post was not so much about me,, as it was about the attitude that sick folks need to avoid places where a crowd is gathering,, to prevent spreading their sickness. ESPECIALLY when it's a social activity & not a required activity,, such as the gun show vs work.
And for work places,, if sick,, WEAR A MASK!!!!!!!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:01 pm 
Buckeye

"I picked up a nasty chest & head cold. I've been congested, raw sore throat, & coughing since Monday. It was in full force yesterday,, to the point I've coughed so much all my muscles in my chest & stomach hurt."

About 30 years ago I developed a cough that just wouldn't go away. I had it for mouths. You haven't lived until you cough so hard you crack a rib! I was in the kitchen when it happened. It put me on the floor. If someone had broke into the house then, they could have killed me graveyard dead and there wasn't a durn thing I could have done about it.

I crawled into the living room so that I could use a chair to get back up. Went to the Dr., who ordered an x-ray. Found out they don't even wrap the chest any more. Just had to heal up on my own.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:12 am 
Hawkeye

I paid real close attention to what was going on in the hospital and there wasn't a single cough, sneeze, or anything there. Patients were kept well separated in pre-op, post op, and when moving around the halls. Visitor movement was limited to main hall ways and individual rooms.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:44 am 
Hawkeye

Pneumonia in Basic training and spent a WEEK in an "Isolation" ward with other pneumonia patients.