RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:46 pm 
Hawkeye

Working in the paint store, I was never taken aback by requests made by potential customers. And usually ended up making a sale.

Customer: "Do you have paint for a fish?" Turns out this was a mounted fish that had gotten bedraggled over the years. The owner had restored it, but wanted to restore the "wet" look. Sold her a can of gloss polyurethane.

Another customer: "Do you have paint for grass?" Sold him white latex paint to mark out boundary lines on an athletic field.

Yet another customer: "I need some paint for some dogs." Turns out he was into field trials up at Grand Junction, Tennessee. They were using chalk, but the dogs running through the brush smeared the numbers so they were not readable. Sold him white latex paint, with the caution that it be washed out at the end of the day.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 pm 
Single-Sixer

Interesting. Funny how we are able to remember things like that!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:03 pm 
Buckeye

No striped paint? :)

Political science without biography is taxidermy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:10 am 
Hawkeye

Have you ever sold a bucket of prop wash?

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 pm 
Hawkeye

I like it. It would be pretty funny to have a customer ask for dog paint.

There is a place here in DFW called “Cat Tattoo.” Our first cat was mean enough I always wanted to take him in and get a tattoo on his shoulder. Maybe a picture of a dog. He had to go and die before I could do it. Now every time we drive past “Cat Tattoo” there’s some nice memories of Nixon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 pm 
Blackhawk

I live about 6 miles from Bob and worked for a regional paint manufacturer, Farrell Calhoun, here in Memphis for 35 years. We have a collection of old products dating back to 1905. I know for a fact we have a pint labeled dog marking paint from the 30s in that collection. The product was made specifically for the dog trials and was in our catalog for a few years.

Why gun control? Because armed people will NOT willingly load themselves into railroad boxcars.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 am 
Hawkeye

sheepdawg wrote:
I live about 6 miles from Bob and worked for a regional paint manufacturer, Farrell Calhoun, here in Memphis for 35 years. We have a collection of old products dating back to 1905. I know for a fact we have a pint labeled dog marking paint from the 30s in that collection. The product was made specifically for the dog trials and was in our catalog for a few years.

We have used that product on beagles IIRC it was yellow. So the numbers would
stand out and you could score the front runner! Wow that goes way back around
1970. lol ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am 
Single-Sixer

Do you ever paint a bullseye on your dog?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:44 am 
Buckeye

sheepdawg wrote:

I sold Farrell Calhoun XIM Primers in the 90's,as I was the Regional Manager for 18 states. I remember the contractor bbq's and the wild events well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 pm 
Blackhawk

buckeyeshooter wrote:
sheepdawg wrote:

I sold Farrell Calhoun XIM Primers in the 90's,as I was the Regional Manager for 18 states. I remember the contractor bbq's and the wild events well.

I was usually in the middle of the wild events. The contractor BBQs have become tame ever since Joe died. Best boss I ever had and boy did he love to party. Most politically incorrect person ever. I'm sure he's taken over in hell by now.

Why gun control? Because armed people will NOT willingly load themselves into railroad boxcars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:58 pm 
Hawkeye

Hondo44 wrote:
Have you ever sold a bucket of prop wash?

How about a bucket of bitter ends? Rumor has it that you could go to the boiler room on a ship and pick up a bucket of them. Or if they were out of bitter ends, pick up a bucket of steam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:41 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Bucket of steam.....I was told to get a bucket of steam and returned with a bucket of water.
"Darn, it cooled off".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 pm 
Blackhawk

I have to admit I never sold a bucket of prop wash but sending a new greenhorn walking the dock going from boat to boat asking for a bucket of prop wash seemed to have occurred a few times.

I was entering into an oil company’s dock to make crew change and just outside the gate about a 1/4 mi from the boat stood my deckhand. He was standing on top of the levee wall holding a large sheet of aluminum foil pointed towards the boat. Turns out the captain I was relieving thought it would be good prank to send the guy down the road with the foil to tune the radar. Looked a bit strange and hard to explain to company execs that were arriving for a quarterly safety meeting. It wasn’t acceptable even then 30 yrs ago. to embarrass someone like that on the job especially with those Guys from Houston arriving.

CNN Blocked
MSNBC Blocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Reminds me of sending a Tenderfoot to the waterfront at Scout camp, looking for a canoe stretcher...

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 am 
Hawkeye

My father had a print shop. He said the type had got lice in them, making the print come out fuzzy. So I was tasked with finding the little buggers, and removing them. He showed me how to spread the type, put water in and look close. That was when he closed the type up quickly causing the water to squirt into my face! Never could find those little buggers! :mrgreen:
gramps