RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doing a Ruger display
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 am 
Ruger Guru

I was talking with some of our ROCS members this past weekend about trying to get folks to come & do a display at the shows we do.
And then,, just now, reading FoxMike's discussion about his reasons for not doing a display just extended what I've been thinking on for the last few days.

WE NEED MORE FOLKS DISPLAYING AT OUR SHOWS!!!!!!

Last year, RoninPa had a post asking questions about ways of making things better & getting more folks to participate.

Well, I want to see what I can do to get a few folks to decide to try doing a display.

Here are a few thoughts to try & get more folks to do a display.

You do NOT have to have a super complete set of guns to display.

You do NOT have to have the rarest Ruger to do a display.

You CAN display ANYTHING that YOU feel is special or interesting to YOU!!!!!!!

It can be simple or elaborate,, but it is YOUR display.

I see small displays with one or two guns a lot. I recall a new displayer who did a one gun display and won novice class with a simple title of; "My favorite Ruger."

Some folks think about the costs associated with doing a ROCS show. Yes,, it costs to pay for a table, the drive, the motel, & the meals. For some folks,, this is not an easy expense. I spent 2 nights in a motel, cost was right at $300 after taxes & all. The table rent at the show was $70. Gas round trip in my buddy's car was about $100. Banquet meal was $40,, and I spent about $50 for the other meals we had. (Breakfast at the hotel.) We drove about 7-8 hours each way for the show. I KNOW many folks would not have to travel as far.
BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there are a few "perks" in doing a show. Each year,, each displayer gets some goodies that are unique & often ONLY for them. Plus,, we try to do things to where it makes it worth it to be a displayer. Each year it's a little different but worthwhile.
There are drawings for guns for displayers, which the odds are excellent.

BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE ABOUT THE MONEY.

The general things I hear from folks I try to get involved is this;
They do not THINK that what they have is worthy of displaying. To that I call a HUGE BS!!!!!!!!!

I see stuff here on this Forum all the time that I'd like to see in person. ROCS is for ALL people who enjoy Ruger firearms,, NOT just the serious collectors. I know many here will look at the pictures & think; "I don't have anything like that!" Or "I can't compete with those other displays."
To those comments I say; "BS!"
First off,, the competition is mostly for bragging rights. Yes,,, the winners in each category do get a few little awards,, & extras. BUT,, when you have 4 categories,,, (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced & Masters,) you can still win.
But it is NOT,, is NOT,, about winning so much as it is about the fellowship & friendship & sharing!

So,,, what is YOUR excuse?

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 am 
Hunter

I agree 100%. I had a display a few years ago that got first place novice and I did not expect to place at all, and it was all current production guns that I use. I talked with the wife and we may try the Ohio show next year and definitely will be at Huntsville again just to spend time with like minded people and talk to and try to educate the public, what’s not to like.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 am 
Hawkeye

Well since you ask. I have not thought of my guns as a collection, yet I do probably have some which are “collectible.” Like a blued single six with the Stainless Bisley grip frame. Or an OM single six marked 22 magnum.

In fact. Some people here have said they don’t have a collection, but rather an accumulation. I think I’ve read that a few times and suppose I feel the same way.

Do you have pictures of the gun display with just one gun? The “My favorite Ruger” display. Interesting, I bet it was a nice display.

How many people came to the ROCS show? Is it open to the public like a regular gun show with guns for sale? The last time I went to a gun show there were so many people it wasn’t enjoyable at all.

You did post some nice pictures over in the gallery. There doesn’t seem to be many people walking around either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:36 pm 
Ruger Guru

Kevin, just to let you know, as to NOT "seeing" many people walking around,,,,the gun shows ,in this case the Ohio Gun Collectors,only allow displayers or someone from the group to take pictures of the displays ONLY before the show starts...too many people around after wards...Most shows do NOT allow picture taking, cameras, videos, etc at ANY time......they see you , you will be asked to leave, and delete any and all pictures...the rules are the rules.......pay attention to them., after all ROCS, etc., are guests of the show.......
yes we are lucky to get to see some of the fine displays and the hard work these folks put in their displays........

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:29 pm 
Hawkeye

Location is the biggest thing for me as everything is far away from Maine, the pace everyone forgets about. Time involved packing, traveling, unpacking, repacking and travel home. I'd only have memorabilia but could come up with something interesting maybe but yeah...just nothing close by.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Kevin wrote:
How many people came to the ROCS show? Is it open to the public like a regular gun show with guns for sale?

The ROCS display was a "show within a show" at OGCA, guests of the OGCA if you will.

OGCA shows are limited to OGCA members and their guests, with the exception of invited displays from other organizations such as ROCS and the various other collector organizations. These shows are hugely attended as the OGCA has a LOT of members.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:01 pm 
Hunter

Remember, ROCS stands for Ruger OWNERS and Collectors Society. It is NOT just for collectors. Displays can be whatever you want, we display our Rugers to educate the public about Ruger firearms. As far as I know, because I have not been to all the shows where ROCS has been invited to do displays, other than OGCA which is a private show, all the others are just standard gun shows where anyone can get in.

Yes, you do have a cost associated with doing a display. For the wife and I, we treat these show times as mini vacations. We enjoy getting together with like minded people and we are a diverse group where one can learn a lot about a lot of different subjects, not just about firearms (although guns are discussed a lot :D ).

I really can't say anything other than what Contender said to me when I was on the fence about showing my few Six series guns the first time. He told me, "JUST DO IT". Then followed up with, "Once you've done one, you'll be hooked" and he was right.

There are a few people that only do one show a year that is local (or a reasonable driving distance) to them and that is fine, they are still welcome each and every year we meet up as anyone will be.

There are enough of us displayers that you can contact any of us to run your concerns or display ideas by us and we will be glad to give you our experiences, advice or guidance.

Just to reiterate, our displays are to inform and educate all firearm owners and enthusiasts about all Ruger firearms and the history of Sturm, Ruger and Company.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:28 pm 
Ruger Guru

A lot of good info above.

I've had a former member here,, who can't log on due to the server issues we have currently, but he does contact me via email. We have TRIED to get him back on here,, but the server isn't allowing it. THAT'S another issue.

BUT,,, he is willing to do a display. All he has asked is for some guidance.

I, and I know a few others,, would be GLAD to offer any & all help to ANYONE who wants to try a display.

I nudged Ron into it and he just won the Advanced Class display award. KUDOS to him! I'm PROUD of him & how he's grown into a super good friend and displayer.

Kevin,, yes,, I know MANY folks feel they are "accumulators" & not collectors. As noted above; ROCS stands for OWNERS as well as collectors. Do NOT think you do not have something to share. The one gun display was a few years ago,, and you may find it in past pictures.

BlkHawk73,, I fully do understand the logistics issue. We had a member from Az & one from Tx at this past weekend show. Vince drove from Az with his wife & felt it was well worth it. MAYBE,, just MAYBE you could figure out the logistics? BTW; I did a display a few years back called; "Patches, Pins & Decals!" Memorabilia. It got a LOT of attention!

One gun displays. We've had several over the years. Scott,, (also known as deerstalker) did a one gun display all the way from Alaska. This past show,, look at Mike's one gun display,, and that gun won "Best Ruger of the Show" award. Look at other pictures,,, and you may see only a few guns & such. I just did my display with 2 Rugers & one other gun, a .30 Carbine rifle. I was second behind Ron in judging. BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT THE JUDGING as much as it is about sharing. Even more,, you will LEARN a lot about Rugers that you may not have known. Plus,, you can see some excellent, rare Rugers displayed in the Masters class. It's not even judged. Masters know that others can't easily compete in their class.

So, I will say it again,,, Help is available & we'd LOVE to have more folks display! BOTH Owners AND Collectors!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:58 pm 
Hawkeye

From the ROCS website,,,the process!

https://www.rugersociety.com/display-sh ... lines.html

Thought most would find this helpful.
Terry

Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Sixgun Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 pm 
Ruger Guru

Thanks Terry!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am 
Long Frame Super

Many years ago I finally made to Tulsa Gun Show, I stood in total amazement of some of the displays I got to see & I was educated about guns I only read about & got to see pictures of in Dougan's books. Great information was gleamed from the displayers who talked freely about their displays. Thanks to all the displayers.

GUN COLLECTORS......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!

Living in the Middle of the Rocky Mountains!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 pm 
Hawkeye

Not being a collector but more of an accumulator, I have still displayed a couple of times. I put some of my favorite Rugers on the Table and called it "Rugers of the West". In other words what people in the west (me) like to carry when out in the woods, camping, ATVing, etc. I figured, these were just guns I liked and if I like them maybe someone else would like them. For someone to say, there's no point because they won't win, that may not be the case. I won in Novice class sometime back. I was also the only competitor in the novice class. :mrgreen:
After that I was embarrassed to display. But the truth is, I like being around like minded people and even a little embarrassed because Hank works so hard getting it together and getting prizes, so I'm going to give it a shot again this year. I've had a lot of guns over the years, I just haven't done as well as I'd have liked hanging on to them. We'll see what happens.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:05 pm 
Hunter

Marlin,
I really doesn't matter what you display as long as it is something you can use to educate non-Ruger people (and many times even Ruger people). If you win that's icing on the cake but that's not necessarily the reason to display. Yes, I have been fortunate enough to win a few times but what I really like is when people come up and start asking questions about my displayed Rugers or start to reminisce about the times that they carried this or that model. They enjoy talking about them and I'll listen. If they ask me about Rugers that are not my specialty, I normally direct them to a displayer that is the most knowledgeable, but I am becoming more educated about all Rugers all the time by talking to the other guys. And the other guys talk to me about my Rugers, we all want to learn as much as we can to help educate those who have questions.

I have thought about a display with a 77/44, Red Label, SR556, 10/22, Super Blackhawk, GP100, Mark II and a Ruger Air rifle and titling it "Some Rugers For A Hunter" Pretty simple display, all of them are guns I use, and I think it could get on lookers talking/asking questions.

I have found, since my first display, that once you start and get in to doing it, you start looking at your "accumulation" and say "you know, I could do this or this OR this and it would look pretty good and would be interesting".

Again, to those following this thread, who are on the fence about displaying, I'll tell you like Tyrone (Contender) told me,"JUST DO IT". If it ends up not being enjoyable to you, you don't have to continue. But I think that once you do it and get around all these other Ruger people, you'll enjoy it. Oh, and you don't have to display at all the shows, do the one(s) you can. For the wife and I, these are mini vacations spread out throughout the year.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Ron, I agree. I used to be competitive, but at this point I like having fun and hanging out with good people and getting people educated if I can. The more we get people into the firearms community the better off we will all be. No point in worrying about winning as there are those who have the ability to spend more money than I do, and that's their fun. I'm working on what I am going to display already. I still need to pick up a couple more, to have a reasonable display.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 pm 
Ruger Guru

Ok, so a showing of hands,, Who is going to be a new displayer at a show this year or even next year?

Come on,, JUST DO IT!!!!!!! :D :D

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA