RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:47 am 
Buckeye

Kevin wrote:
Quote:
So much anger, so little time

Anger? That’s right, I’m furious. I’m so mad gas doesn’t cost $7 or $8 a gallon. Then perhaps there would be fewer single car drivers on the road and less emissions ruining the environment.

Yep, I’m mad. Hopefully when people start to care something will change.

I wonder if Kevin isn't actually Al Gore. Gore was spouting this type of BS when he ran against Bush. We are lucky he never got enough hanging chads to fall in his favor.

CFC Member: EXTRASHOT
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:17 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
It's pretty much dependable that the last week of June gasoline prices raise and then again in September. During winter they tend to go down. The consumer complaints bitterly accusing the oil companies and the corporations of everything under the sun… Yet people still insist on scheduling their vacations in the summertime and traveling during their vacations.

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:37 am 
Hawkeye

Selena wrote:
It's pretty much dependable that the last week of June gasoline prices raise and then again in September. During winter they tend to go down. The consumer complaints bitterly accusing the oil companies and the corporations of everything under the sun… Yet people still insist on scheduling their vacations in the summertime and traveling during their vacations.

The kids are out of school; There are more places to go without encountering freezing weather and snow storms and why sit at home when you get a couple weeks off from work and have the time to visit various sight seeing points.
Believe me the oil companies DO rip off the consumer every chance they get.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 pm 
Hunter

I did 1775 miles round trip this week from Portland to East of Calgary and back on business. I saw prices as low as $2.50 in the northern Idaho area, and as high as $3.40 per liter in BC. The prices in Canada were pretty crazy. As soon as I left BC and entered Alberta, the prices drop from $3.40 to $3.00 per liter. I don't have the conversions right at hand, but I do know that is over $1.00 per gallon difference.
As a side note---I drive a 2012 ford fusion for a company car. I do around 30,000 miles per year and average 24 to 26 MPG. Running the same old cheap regular fuel in both BC and Alberta I got between 28 and 32 MPG. Makes a guy wonder just how much better their fuel is up north.

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:14 pm 
Single-Sixer

Citgo 87 octane in Buzzards Bay, MA is $2.59 today. Down six cents from last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am 
Single-Sixer

Gasbuddy.com found premium for me at $2.99 today.
Regular is $2.57.
A couple of years ago premium was a consistent 30 cents higher.
Now it's 40 - 45 cents higher on average.
I've read it's in part because premium is more efficient (better MPG) so "they" figure it all averages out to the same MPG with regular or premium. Not sure I buy that, but premium is recommended for my car so I'll stick with it. I'm happy with 26-28 MPG average, and have gotten 30 on a long highway trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:13 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Premium is no more efficient in an engine that requires regular. In fact, it may be less efficient.

When the storm hit the Gulf last week gas here in STL went to 2.79.
We were told it was due to the storm.
Well, Splain why gas in Ardmore AL last week was 2.38?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm 
Hawkeye

Gasoline prices aren't that outrageous at all.

Consider this: If you paid 21 cents a gallon for gas for your vehicle in 1929, that same gallon today would be selling for around $3.15 thanks to inflation of the currency.

Now on top of that, you have to consider that the feds and every State have tacked on their own array of taxes to the price of each gallon of fuel. So to me, it's hard to understand how the oil companies can legitimately be blamed for 'greed'. If you removed all the special taxes each government has tacked on to the price, gasoline would be .30 or .40 cents cheaper than it is, which would mean that the 1929 price was even higher than the current inflated price.

Also - When markets are up and manufacturing is hot, refineries compete with other industries for that barrel of crude. That's what accounts for a lot of the price fluctuations and speculation.

Gasoline is a bargain at the prices we're paying IMO. If it's getting expensive, it's not because of greedy oil companies. It's because of inflation and other government meddling.

“No power was given to Congress to infringe on any one of the natural rights of the people by this Constitution, and, should they attempt it without constitutional authority, the act would be a nullity, and could not be enforced.” -Theophilus Parsons at the Massachusetts ratifying convention

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:14 pm 
Hawkeye

The oil co makes about 3 cents/gl.
Govt gets about 40. And govt does nothing to earn it.

Who is greedy?

Last edited by Bull Barrel on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 pm 
Hawkeye

OOOPS;
Gas prices DROPPED 17 cents per gallon overnight here in Zephyrhills, FL.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:22 pm 
Hawkeye

AJGUNNER wrote:
Makes a guy wonder just how much better their fuel is up north.

Any bets on the amount of alcohol they add?

When they started that crap I noticed that when the Alcohol was added, the mileage
went DOWN by more than ten percent. Then when they stopped adding in in the
Spring, it would go back up. Now they keep that crap in it all year long.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 pm 
Hawkeye

Not to mention the tax dollars subsidising the alk production.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:22 pm 
Hawkeye

powder smoke wrote:
Oil industry has been raping America for years. There is no end in sight! ps

Could be, that's why I hold a fair amount of oil company stock. Been paying nice dividends for years. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
A lot of the price rise is due to the US lack of sufficient refinery capacity.

Regular around here is a bit over $3.00. It is what it is as long as I can afford it. At least you don't have to by a huge amount of the stuff at once. Try four new tires and see how that one hits you.

BTW I believe what the oil companies have been doing is called capitalism and is within the law. The purpose of an oil company is not for charitable works. The purpose of an oil company is to make money for its owners. I am one of those owners. Anyone can jump on the band wagon. Buy and hold stocks for dividends not betting on the stock market.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:20 pm 
Buckeye

Yesterday, the gas in Galax, Virginia was $2.49.9. I went to fill up my gas cans and the pick-up today and the gas price had dropped to $2.39.9. YEA!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 pm 
Hawkeye

Redding, CA yesterday was $4.20 for 87 oct. It's $2.39 back home.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next