RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 am 
Hunter

I fell and broke my hip may 19th. Three days in the hospital, 20 miserable days in rehab. The bed was the worst thing and I couldn't get comfortable as I am tall and fat. I lost all appetite and lost about 35 pounds. I have gained back about ten. I STILL am on a walker. I dont think I ever had a worse physical event in my life and have broken bones in motorcycle wreck`s etc. I am 78 years old so that has to be a factor. It`s a job getting in our truck. I think I could drive but it isn't worth fighting my wife over it. I have a couple of other things fighting me. Arthritics in the left ankle that I think might be the reason I fell and busted my right hip. One side of my body now works against the other and keeps me on the stroller. About two weeks ago I again fell in the same exact spot using the walker getting up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. I couldn't get off the floor and the wife couldn't lift me and had to call the daughter and so in law for help to get me up. Fortunately they had just retired and down the street in their travel trailer as they had just started their gypsy life by visiting us for a week. Good luck and try to follow all instructions and with time all this will just be a bad memory.
In my case I am lucky I have a good wife that takes good care of me. I was a bachelor most of my adult life and would be in deep bandini had I not married again after I retired.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:35 am 
Hawkeye

Best to you. You are in my prayers. Do what the nurses tell you.

NRA
Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
Jeepnik wrote:
Do yourself a favor and don't push it. Let things heal right the first time. It takes longer the second.

Bingo! If you need to talk/vent call me! Anytime!
gramps

Can you guess how I figured that great bit of wisdom out? Youth and stupidity cause more problems than anything else in life.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm 
Hunter

My surgeon instructed me a week ago when I was in for a followup checkup, to walk, walk more, and walk even more. I still cant safely take but a step or two without the walker. I can only walk a short distance with the walker and my left foot and/or ankle gives out due to arthritis. The new ball and hip joint is on my right side. Makes it hard on following the doctors orders. Sometimes ya cant win. Good luck! You do have the advantage of picking your time for surgery. In my case I broke it on saturday night just before mothers day. I had no hip problem before. I walk on the sidewalk behind our house a bunch of laps back and forth every day but my ankle usually gives out and stops me. My thing had been trail riding a few days a week and missing that bothers me the most. Waited all winter for it and this happened just when the trails in the high country behind us opened up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck: just keep reminding them and yourself... this sure is a lot better than that last time!

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Wishing the best for you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:42 am 
Single-Sixer

How ya doin'?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:45 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Do what the docs say but sometimes ya gotta push just a bit. Seems to help get ya around quicker. YMMV.
Best wishes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:31 pm 
Hawkeye

Well, I'm back home. I had some PT before riding home and the total was a bit much. I'm having more pain but it's not unbearable.
Grandson is learning what's expected so he should be doing a little better by the time his Mother goes home. She was in health care for several years before moving and later getting into the clerical side of law enforcement so she has a handle on how and when to help.