RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 pm 
Hawkeye

Hospital check in scheduled for 5:45 AM 7/16. Surgery @ 7AM.
This will be the second time I've been locked down in my entire life. The first time(when I got blown up) at least I could walk around as desired after recovery. I couldn't talk and barely breath that first time but I could move around. I wheedled my way out that time a couple days early. This time I can talk all I want but they're gonna watch my moving close. Maybe I'll just be abrasive enough to encourage them to let me out.
The guy who recommended this facility and Doctor thinks I'm wanting out too soon but he doesn't have the ingrained dislike of hospitals, Dr's, and big city in general that I do.
I've probably won't sit on a tractor again for at least a month. That hasn't happened since 2000 when I took the blind kid to Colorado to do his internship before he could get his degree. The guy we worked for wouldn't let me drive HIS tractor--didn't think I was qualified. I drove my truck yesterday and no telling when I can get back in that. It's 3 big steps to the door sill.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:28 pm 
Hawkeye

Do yourself a favor and don't push it. Let things heal right the first time. It takes longer the second.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:38 pm 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik wrote:
Do yourself a favor and don't push it. Let things heal right the first time. It takes longer the second.

Bingo! If you need to talk/vent call me! Anytime!
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:38 pm 
Blackhawk

Good luck, deep breaths, relax and try not to
strangle anybody important.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:00 pm 
Hawkeye

"Good luck, deep breaths, relax and try not to
strangle anybody important."
Very similar to the advice received from Daughter but then, she leans toward the rougher side of of things. She just switched jobs from Sheriff's Dept jail administrator to Prosecuting Atty debt collection department.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:10 pm 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
Ah yes, farmers and rehabilitation/recovery…

First off, if you must get on the tractor earlier than advised, before you start take an inventory of your pain and discomfort. Put them in writing! Every hour or so take another inventory and keep running tabs of your condition. Keep in mind that you are not going to bounce back the way you did your younger days and if you had someone willing to do the work for you there is no shame in letting them.

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Hawkeye

Good Luck and May God watch over you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 pm 
Single-Sixer

You haven't been to a hospital lately have you? They'll throw you out as soon as they can because of insurance companies forcing them to. I thought they were going to send me home with a kit to sew myself up after surgery.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm 
Buckeye

Follow those instructions!! I have heard enough horror stories about guys that did not. Pushing yourself is good as long as it doesn't exceed the limits imposed on you.
Wishing you the best outcome possible. Sent a little prayer to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am 
Hawkeye

"I thought they were going to send me home with a kit to sew myself up after surgery."

Interestingly, Tom made the comment to his wife's uncle yesterday that he was pretty sure if the was a stay at home DIY kit for this, I'd have ordered it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck, good luck... but my advise is to just go with what they say. I had the unique experience just over 3 months ago of having to turn over my entire life to folks... I did not have a choice... well actually the doc in the ER did give me a choice... "sign this disclaimer or lay there and die." I chose to sign the form even knowing that it meant nothing.... just a rule they have. I'm a very shy and private person and I spent the rest of that night with numerous people moving my family jewels around to first install the stint then a temporary pump/ impeller and then to check and make sure I was not bleeding out.... it was a different world for me. It had been close to 40 years since I had seen a doctor professionally.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 am 
Hawkeye

When I got blown up, I was walking around until I just ran out of blood to stay vertical and was on a stretcher/gurney from that point until I woke up in post op and then was pretty doped for another 12 hours. Not much of that I remember except that every time the medic said" blood pressure's dropping", the pilot tilted the chopper forward until I swear it was flying standing on it's nose. I was a bit concerned that I might have survived the explosion only to be killed strapped to a board in a helo crash. When we got there, he yanked that thing from nose down to tail down and plopped on the pad like a spitwad hitting concrete.
Before and during surgery, I had a femoral line that caused problems after removal requiring that I stay basically immobile for hours. The big thing was the breathing tube kept getting plugged with ??? which caused a lot of consternation on my part when I suddenly couldn't breathe. Couldn't talk, right arm also injured and mostly immobilized, but finally I was able to scribble on a pad using my left hand. That helped immensely.
I have plenty of reasons to dislike being in a hospital. Trying to control those feelings is more difficult when you're making a choice to be there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:50 am 
Hunter

Best wishes to you Mobuck! You will do fine. I had my right hip replaced 2 weeks ago today, July 1. Pain free in hip joint. I’m standing straighter and walking pain free. Same surgeon did my left hip 19 years ago, 12-7-2000. I have in home therapy. I’m not driving yet. But, ready to get out and fire a few Rugers!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 am 
Ruger Guru

Good luck my friend! Keep us posted when you can!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 am 
Hawkeye

I'm taking my iPAD along but not sure what hospital policy on use will be. Might be able to check in on RF Tuesday afternoon/evening.
Tom's driving me down this afternoon and then leaving post op on a 3 day work trip. Daughter is driving to my house Tuesday and heading on to KC Wed. morning. DIL's uncle may show up Tuesday evening to check on me. Heck, it's not like the hospital staff isn't going to look after me.