RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:17 am 
Hawkeye

Nashville tried them. A new PHD was riding on the sidewalk on a scooter, he pulled out in front of an SUV, and died from injuries (duh). Parents letting underage children play on them. Scooters found abandoned all over the place. The “Experiment” has ended!
gramps

Last edited by gramps on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:33 pm 
Hawkeye

My scooter would take a bunch of those vandals to toss in a river. Its 500lbs with the fork locked isn't the easiest thing to move by hand. Portland isn't weird it just tolerates a lot of vandals and street bums and of course the Antifa who combine the positions of vandal and bum.

Paul W.
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 am 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
500 lb?
That's a motorcycle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17 am 
Hunter

Not to steal the thread, but the differences between scooters and motorcycles are blurring. It used to be that scooters had tiny wheels, a type of automatic transmission, step through rather than swing your leg over, feet resting on the body of the vehicle versus foot pegs, and very small versus larger engines. In recent years these differences are certainly blurring. A number of scooters now have engines as large as small to mid size motorcycles, i.e. 650cc. Wheels on some scooters are as large or close to that of motorcycles. The step-through structure may not be at least somewhat a step-over form. And some motorcycles now have a form of automatic transmission so there is not a clutch lever. Scooters still have the fully upright seating position, which is not found on the vast majority of motorcycles. And many scooters have roomy underseat storage, eliminating the need for wearing a backpack or having saddle bags like most motorcycles. Many of the larger scooters are fully capable of Interstate Highway travel, at speeds that can reach triple digits. Scooters are no longer just little moped like vehicles and can be a viable alternative to a motorcycle.

Retired

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
—Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:25 pm 
Hawkeye

Exactly Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Kymco all make what's currently called Maxi-scooters. Well suited for town and long range touring. I've downgraded from a Goldwing to a maxi. Honest 125mph top end as verified by GPS, 300+ mile range on fuel. In some ways it's a lot like my Goldwings were. Well designed fairing protects well against rain and cold. Heated seats and grips, 15" wheels, ABS and CVT auto transmission. Seating position with feet back similar to a sport bike or stretched out in front of you as per cruisers.
My first motorcycle was a 1949 Triumph 650 Thunderbird. This scooter would beat the pants off in all areas of riding, top speed, handling in the twisties, comfort, an MUCH greater reliability. But it is a scooter so I don't wear my black leather jacket when riding it.

Paul W.
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:58 pm 
Hunter

exavid wrote:
Exactly Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Kymco all make what's currently called Maxi-scooters. Well suited for town and long range touring. I've downgraded from a Goldwing to a maxi. Honest 125mph top end as verified by GPS, 300+ mile range on fuel. In some ways it's a lot like my Goldwings were. Well designed fairing protects well against rain and cold. Heated seats and grips, 15" wheels, ABS and CVT auto transmission. Seating position with feet back similar to a sport bike or stretched out in front of you as per cruisers.
My first motorcycle was a 1949 Triumph 650 Thunderbird. This scooter would beat the pants off in all areas of riding, top speed, handling in the twisties, comfort, an MUCH greater reliability. But it is a scooter so I don't wear my black leather jacket when riding it.

What maxi scooter did you get? A few years ago I had a Honda SilverWing which was a great ride but it did have the little wheels. Right now as my second bike I have a Honda PCX150 which has 14 inch wheels, almost like a real motorcycle. It is not for highways, with a top speed of about 60, but for around town and errands it is more fun than I would have dragging out the Goldwing.

Retired

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
—Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:15 pm 
Hawkeye

You meet the nicest people on a Vespa!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:54 pm 
Hawkeye

I have a 1913 (first year available) BMW C650GT. The later ones have some worthwhile improvements such as a better sounding muffler exhaust system, modified centerstand which take a lot of effort out of putting it up on the stand. There were a few other changes but nothing major. The older ones like mine can be upgraded with the newer parts but I'm satisfied with mine as is. I've made a few rides over over 300 miles on the scooter and found it was no real hardship giving up the big Goldwing. I've also had a couple of Silver Wing scooters and a Burgman 650. Both are good but the BMW is the better bike it handles the twisties like a proper motorcycle.

Paul W.
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:55 pm 
Hawkeye

I have 2013 (first year available) BMW C650GT. The later ones have some worthwhile improvements such as a better sounding muffler exhaust system, modified centerstand which take a lot of effort out of putting it up on the stand. There were a few other changes but nothing major. The older ones like mine can be upgraded with the newer parts but I'm satisfied with mine as is. I've made a few rides over over 300 miles on the scooter and found it was no real hardship giving up the big Goldwing. I've also had a couple of Silver Wing scooters and a Burgman 650. Both are good but the BMW is the better bike it handles the twisties like a proper motorcycle.

Paul W.
NRA Life Member