RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:48 am 
Hawkeye

Downtown Portland. I go around Portland as best I can. Unless you've seen it for yourself, downtown Portland is every bit as creepy as the big nasty cities farther east, with the added weirdness cultivated in Seattle/Portland.

Over the last couple years, e-scooters for rent has been an on-going test, and now accepted as apparently permanent. They are parked everywhere. Walk up to one, put in your credit card or scan somehow with you cell phone, (I really don't know how it works), and ride away.

But downtown, the street urchins can leave nothing unharmed. Seems the police have discovered a graveyard of e-scooters on the bottom of the Willamette River.

https://www.kptv.com/news/divers-recove ... 990ca.html

Last edited by WAYNO on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:54 am 
Hunter

I've visited my two oldest sons, one in Santa Monica, CA and one in Redmond, WA and those e-scooters are everywhere in both cities, especially Santa Monica. I've heard stories of similar things happening there, with scooters vandalized by lowlives just for their amusement. But my son told me that one of the challenges of using the scooters is that you might travel several miles, leave the scooter, finish your errand and then have a problem with finding no scooter to ride back to home. He said people are hiding them to insure that they will have one when they need it. But in addition to the fun and convenience of these scooters, it has provided jobs for a lot of people. If you own a truck or a van you can be engaged as a contractor to pick up the scooters at night and bring them for recharging. I forget what the per minute charge is to use them, but I remember thinking at the time that it was very reasonable, especially when thinking about the high cost of parking in the congested areas of L.A. Chicago is just starting to allow them, but only in limited areas as a test of the system.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am 
Hawkeye

Some cities across America found them to be a strange new menace:

They were removed from the streets of Indianapolis in July, and eliminated from Milwaukee in August.

San Francisco scrapped them in May.

New York has just been preemptively making it clear that they’re illegal.

More cities are currently planning to jump on that bandwagon, designating them as motor vehicles:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/electric ... c3f85dddba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am 
Single-Sixer

"Grady Memorial Hospital, the largest hospital in Georgia, estimated it receives between 80 and 100 scooter-related injuries per month, ranging from serious head injuries to broken limbs."

They banned them on the sidewalks in Atlanta. I read where someone was killed on one just recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 am 
Hunter

I seen my first one a couple months ago. Thought I was seeing things as there was no place for any visible motor and the kid wasn't going down hill. There are always sob`s out there that will ruin a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 am 
Hawkeye

Wayno, with what's going on in the Legislature in Oregon, I guess several conservatives up and left Oregon, to keep a quorum from being able to meet. Many came to Idaho. One of the radio talk hosts mentioned it and that they may need some help, several people called the station, and said they someone could stay at their house. Not sure how many legislatures left, but sounds like several now have a place to stay, till this blows over.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 am 
Hunter

Many of those scooters are stolen for the batteries and the rest dumped, as I understand it.
A friend of mine recently bought an e-scooter...
The thing is terrifyingly fast- near 40 mph on its teeny wheels.
His offices are in downtown San Francisco, so of course it's been stolen. I think he got it back sans battery.
I'll stick with my Honda scooter when I gotta go downtown...

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am 
Hawkeye

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
Wayno, with what's going on in the Legislature in Oregon, I guess several conservatives up and left Oregon, to keep a quorum from being able to meet. Many came to Idaho. One of the radio talk hosts mentioned it and that they may need some help, several people called the station, and said they someone could stay at their house. Not sure how many legislatures left, but sounds like several now have a place to stay, till this blows over.

The dim's have a super majority in the Oregon legislature. They know they can enact any law they want, enact any taxes they want, declaring it an emergency, and the "people" have no input, and they cannot vote on such measures.

This walkout of the R's first happened a couple weeks ago over a gun bill that the d's would have enacted without a public vote.

Portland has tremendous influence over the rest of this very rural state.

I am vocally supportive of the R's doing what they have to do, and am on the R's mailing lists. Since these lists are public, I also get hate mail from the d's.

Here's a letter I received today from one of my legislators that is on MY side.

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/24d9385

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:16 am 
Hawkeye

sfhogman wrote:
I'll stick with my Honda scooter when I gotta go downtown...

Jeff

I fully agree. The street legal scooters are a much better answer. Ride 'em almost for free with their tremendous fuel efficiency. They have real brakes on both wheels. And with their real tires and wheels, you have far less chance of doing a face plant when you're forced into traversing a pothole or entering a driveway with a little uneven entry. Don't ask me how I know about faceplants with the little Razor scooters. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:18 am 
Buckeye

In Chicago recently a scooter was found up in a tree and another one in a dumpster.
Some people...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm 
Hawkeye

NOTHING that happens in the DEMOCRATIC republic of Portland surprises me any more. Having driven recently in downtown Portland, I predict several accidents will happen with these E-scooters and probably fatal ones. They are worse than the idiots on their bicycles..... Just sayin'

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:31 pm 
Single-Sixer

WAYNO wrote:

But downtown, the street urchins can leave nothing unharmed. Seems the police have discovered a graveyard of e-scooters on the bottom of the Willamette River.

See, this is why ya can't have nice things. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm 
Single-Sixer

They have just started with them in Norfolk, Va this wk. It was tried before and failed miserably. I wondering who is going to be liable when a pedestrian is hit, hospitalized, and has massive medical bills. Since the city condoned them are they going to be liable? It's just a matter of time until someone, either a rider or a pedestrian gets hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:04 pm 
Blackhawk

That's not all that gets tossed into the river, That area is popular for shopping carts and bicycles. Normally before the Navy brings ships to the Rose Festival, they and the SO dive the area. I suspect they did again this year and since no bombs were found they left that junk til a later date. In the 8 years I was assigned to the Navy fleet security for the week of the ships being here. I operated a police boat, we had the Navy ships turn up 6 bodies from suicide. 1 ships propeller dislodged 1 on the way to dock and another body when leaving. That stuff does not make the news. Their propellers maybe only a few feet from the bottom depending on the river depth of that year.
Another item is abandon and stolen vehicles that people launch off the boat ramps throughout Portland into the Willamette river. I helped the SO at the Oak Grove boat ramp and after 2 days they had pulled up 12 or 15 cars as I recall and left others for later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 am 
Hawkeye

Actually I liked down town Portland. It was nice and clean and except for the occasional nut job running around shouting to everyone not bad at all. I even walked a good bit of it early one evening with no problems. The public transportation is really good. I was really disappointed that the Portland statue was covered up because of some work though.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet