RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm 
Single-Sixer

Saw the article recently of UP celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad's Completion. I've made a note of the date it will be passing through our area and hope to take my grandchildren to see it. https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Former VFD Fire Chief/E.M.T.....Trying to age gracefully......don't think its working!..... Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~John Quinton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 pm 
Hawkeye

I have spent many hours on the Big Boy. It was a static display at the county fairground. It hadn’t moved in decades. But when they went to move her to the restoration facility she rolled just fine.

Of coarse there was prep work including laying of temporary track. But watching her move out was bittersweet. She’d been ours for a long time but now she belongs to the whole country.

If you get a chance go see her. You’re seeing what makes this country great.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:30 pm 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik wrote:
If you get a chance go see her. You’re seeing what makes this country great.

Hi,

Very true, and no amount of red golf caps with catchy slogans can even come close!

I never spent much time at LA County Fairgrounds, and when I was there it was more likely to watch the ponies or the dragsters run. So I wasn't really familiar with the Big Boy when she was there. But after they moved her to the Colton yards a few miles to the east, UP put her on display for the public for 2-3 days, and my neighbor, a train buff, and I went down to look. Even in disrepair, what a magnificent machine she was.

We got to visit a few minutes with the crew overseeing the entire move, from Pomona to Cheyenne, WY. These are the kind of guys who could tell you stories for weeks or months at a time and you'd never tire of listening. They had no idea how long the restoration could take, and one fellow said it COULD take close to five years so 2 or 2 1/2 years is fantastic. If I'm not mistaken, one thing that would take a lot of time would be designing, building and installing a system to run the locomotive on diesel, instead of coal. Gotta keep the air quality folks happy, ya know?

Then they told us they hoped to be able to return to SoCal "first" when she was ready to go. It looks like the Midwest gets first shot, though, until October, when they plan to bring her back down here. It looks like folks will have a chance to ride the train behind her then. Dates, prices and such are apparently still in flux, but here's a website to watch for progress reports: http://www.railgiants.org/Big-Boy-Excursion-Info.php

It should be really exciting to get a chance to go for a ride, but even without that, just seeing that beautiful mass of steel and iron rolling on her own again will be great!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 am 
Hawkeye

The Big Boy has been running for about two months,along with a 4-8-4,a diesel and about 15 cars,mostly passenger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 am 
Hawkeye

Touring the Country? Nothing on the east coast as far as it can tell. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:40 pm 
Hawkeye

She's a beauty.. I've been watching this restoration and subsequent tour for a while.

A dear old departed co worker and friend of mine used to build miniature steam locomotives. Fascinating stuff. (RIP B.J.!)

Regards, Pete

“No power was given to Congress to infringe on any one of the natural rights of the people by this Constitution, and, should they attempt it without constitutional authority, the act would be a nullity, and could not be enforced.” -Theophilus Parsons at the Massachusetts ratifying convention

When an honest man finds he's wrong, he'll either cease being wrong, or he'll cease being honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm 
Hawkeye

Somewhere I have a photo of me in the firebox, and I ain't exactly small. It's too bad they couldn't have ran it coal fired. As a historical train you'd think the air quality folks would give it a pass. Typical bureaucrats.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:20 pm 
Hawkeye

Here's what a Big Boy looks like burning coal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:42 pm 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
The closest it comes to me is Chicago and nothing gets me there. One would think they would cut a deal with the L&I and use their tracks to go through Seymour Indiana just for the sake of history. I mean it's not like they have to worry about the Reno Brothers anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm 
Buckeye

Pretty good thread on CalGuns http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... on+pacific

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:23 pm 
Buckeye

Looks like all of us in the South are just gonna have to watch old videos........... :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:11 pm 
Hunter

Another monster..... a 2-8-8-4. Several were built for the DM&IR (Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range) to haul iron ore from northern Minnesota to the port of Duluth. They were all eventually either sold to another line or retired. There is one on display in the railroad museum in Duluth. I can remember seeing them in operation as a kid in the early/mid 50s.

http://www.missabe.com/cms/system/files ... one222.jpg