RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need rat advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 am 
Single-Sixer

Hi Folks, l noticed a few signs in my garage last Friday that something wasn't the norm. My motorcycle, which has a lot of chrome looked all smeary. I thought hmm I need to wipe her down. I keep it pretty much spotless & just figured it was every I stirred up from doing yard work. Saturday night we had guests & I went to get a beverage out of the little fridge in the garage and a pretty good sized blur ran over and under some storage totes. Went to Walmart Sunday morning and picked up two rat traps, a glue trap and a tomcat rodent house with the green poison block inside.Then I put peanut butter on the traps, wiped the bike down & shut the lights off. Got up this morning & the peanut butter was gone off the traps (not sprung) glue trap was empty. But (Yay!) there were teeth marks on the poison block. Of course the little SOB had been all over my scoot. Got a high powered flashlight out & went over it (pulled the seat) and found no evidence of wire chewing- my biggest concern. We have a strictly indoor (Diva) cat. I'll gladly take any advice- Thanks Dave

Post subject: Re: Need rat advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:11 am 
Hawkeye

Best advice I can give is get rid of the rats.
Worked at a chicken farm as a kid they had rats galore. We shot the sob.
Kinda fun actually. If it was me I'd trap em. Not hard they are pretty dumb!

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:28 am 
Hunter

Find some "Just One Bite" rat poison. You'll need to go online to find smaller quantities. It has the poison that D-Con used to have, before gov't regulations made it ineffective.

The new over the counter stuff is kid safe, pet safe, rat safe etc.... so if you use this you will need to make sure the carcasses aren't eaten by your dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:37 am 
Hawkeye

Keep in mind the way poison works is that the rats or mice think it is food and so when you put it out they are drawn to it. I'm saying this only because if you use a poison and you kill a few and think you got them then I think it is best to not leave the poison out. If you have an 'unlimited' supply of vermin outside then you will just be bringing them in to get the 'food'. I learned this the hard way after my in laws had been leaving poison out at our mountain house... discovered thousands of mice skeletons up in the attic.

I vote for traps.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:06 am 
Hawkeye

Like any other animal, rats/mice look for shelter, food, and water. You have to deny them all 3. Which is usually easier said than done, but examine your house inside and out and you can usually at least make it less appealing to them. As said above, bait should be placed outside and away from the house. You can put it in small enclosures that allows them access to the bait, but that can't be gotten to by any pets you might have.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am 
Single-Sixer

Thanks for the help Folks, points taken! Been here 19 years & never had this issue. Need a better bait for the traps, how it got the peanut butter off without springing it is beyond me. BTW, hope your doing better Blume- been following your posts off & on, wish you the best Man- Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 am 
Ruger Guru

Some good advice here but lets look at it from a professional angle.

I do wildlife control, and as such, trapping is part of my business. As noted above, denying them the food, water & shelter is PART of the solution. All animals spend their life doing basically 3 things. Eating, sleeping & reproducing. Break that chain, and you fix the problem.
Reproduction is the one we ignore, as it's the hardest one to control.
Sleeping,, we can work on that,, by sealing any & all places they can use to enter a structure. You MUST seal ALL openings with things that prevent re-entry. Liquid foam, steel wool & silicone are your friends. Liquid expanding foam seals the airflow,, which is how they find the entry points. Steel wool,,embedded in with the foam from the outside,,, works as a chewing preventive material. Silicone also seals airflow,, but doubles as an exterior weather protector.

Eating. Your mistake was the peanut butter. You served it on a platter where they didn't have to work the trap to eat. THAT'S WHY IT'S GONE. The wooden, snap type kill traps are very effective. BUT,,,, you MUST make the animal work the trigger. I recommend getting some sunflower seeds, some nylon stocking material, and some tiny wire such as used to tie bread bags. Cut a small piece of nylon, (about 1-1/2" square,) Put 3-4 seeds in the center, fold the nylon up into a "bag" of seed. Use the wire to tie it together, AND to tie it to the trigger of the trap. Before you set the trap, crush one or two seed in the nylon between your fingers, to put out the scent of the seed. Set multiple traps,, all around, and you will get the immediate offenders.
The same trick works for mice, on a smaller scale. I use the plastic trip pan traps for mice, & wedge seeds into the holes in the plastic "swiss cheese" trip pan holes.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 am 
Hawkeye

azleite wrote:
Thanks for the help Folks, points taken! Been here 19 years & never had this issue. Need a better bait for the traps, how it got the peanut butter off without springing it is beyond me. BTW, hope your doing better Blume- been following your posts off & on, wish you the best Man- Dave

What has changed that made your place attractive to the vermin? Construction next door, across the street etc. I have rats on the farm. I shoot everyone I can with shotgun, rat shot in revolver, or air rifle. I also have a Jack Russell Terrier that ferrets them out of briar patches. Then I have two cats, that stay outside more than inside( spayed and neutered, and vaccinated). I don’t use poison because of my pets( I have seen them bleeding from every orrifice due to ingestion). I haven’t lost any pets to the poison, but spent lots of money to save them. If you know some one with a ferret, borrow it for a week-rats be gone!
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:38 am 
Buckeye

If you poison them you may find that they crawl into a hidden spot or perhaps into a wall or attic and die there, rotting and stinking for weeks. If it's a rat then use a "live trap" like a Havaheart, and then drown it or shoot it. The Aguilar no powder 22 cal is great for this.

NRA
GOA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:11 am 
Single-Sixer

I use raw bacon hooked on the rat trap. Peanut butter gets nibbled on but will not spring the trap, with bacon the nibbles will pull on the bacon and cause it to spring. If you have brown rats they can get big so I would also screw the trap to a piece of 2x4 so they cant walk away if the spring does not kill them. Its more likely you have roof rats since browns usually stay outside.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 am 
Blackhawk

I'll second what contender said RE: peanut butter as bait. I've only had that work on the traps that the rodent has to enter to get at the bait; otherwise, they just swipe it and leave the trap empty. My favorite bait is to superglue peanut halves to the flat spot on the trigger, they will generally last for years before the repetitive snapping loosens the superglue. If you're trapping something large, the bigger snap traps often have an attachment point for string to prevent the trapped rodent from running off with your trap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 am 
Hunter

The standard bait used by biologists is a version of peanut butter, and rolled oats. A touch of honey doesn't hurt.

Here's a poison that I've used that is safe and effective. Mixed peanut butter with rolled oats. I add a little corn meal. Add baking soda to the mix. Seems rats cannot burp. The soda reacts with stomach acid and kills the rat or mouse. Safe for other animals such as cats and dogs. Don't know about birds or squirrels (Anybody?).

Rats will taste a strange food and wait an hour or so before gorging themselves. Putting some untainted bait out to trick them before setting out poison might not be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am 
Hawkeye

Rodents can easily remove soft bait (like peanut butter) from a trap w/o springing it, so use a more solid bait (like bacon) that can be hooked into the trap's trigger.

When denying rodents access to a building, keep in mind that they can/will squeeze through very tiny openings, so long as their skulls will pass through.

Don't use steel wool to fill/block openings, as rodents will eat it - instead use a solid filler block (wood or metal).

You can also use a leash to let your cat overnight in the garage, near your scoot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 am 
Hunter

Peanut butter - They lick it off. Never even bumping the trigger, BUT hit that peanut butter with a Bic lighter and it gets a hard crunchy shell. Works very well after that. Not my preferred bait, but it does make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 am 
Hawkeye

My daughter got infested with mice/rats, some the size of a fat chipmunk. I'll bet we got between 25-50 of them under her carport before she called an exterminator. I've always used swiss cheese folded over and smashed under the little prong on the trap. It hardens quickly and a mouse rarely pulls it off if attached right.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org