RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hay harvest in north MO
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:52 am 
Hawkeye

Man, it's a tough go. Ground is saturated to the point of water standing on the flat ground and seeps weeping on the hills. Had a morning "popcorn" shower yesterday from out of nowhere that set us back 1/2 day on drying time. Hay won't dry because it's laying on wet ground so we're spending 2X time with the rakes to move it back and forth.
I was expecting some high production numbers but then a wind pushed a lot of the brome down and I'm leaving 20% on the ground that the mower just slid over. We're about 60-65% baled and if today goes better than yesterday, may be at 85-90% complete. Yesterday was not a great day. I had to swap some belts on the baler and one belt had been sitting as my spare for 2 years. It was stiff and "grabby" causing some problems that may be getting worked out after 7-8 hours of use. Also popped a masterlink in a primary drive chain. Don't know what caused that unless the plugging from the grabby belt put extra stress on it or maybe having the baler sink to the axle in muck was a factor.
We've got this afternoon and tomorrow before the next extended rain period sets in. Unfortunately, there's no way to get the bales hauled out of 2 fields after an access crossing washed away and the other route to the road is unusable due to muddy ground too soft to pull a loaded trailer through.
We need to run the sprayer over the soybeans again before another rain but that's simply not going to happen unless the rain holds off past 7/4.
Too bad those folks who think farming is easy can't be here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:35 am 
Single-Sixer

Farming is and always has been a tough go. Good luck with the weather!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:56 am 
Buckeye

How hard can it be?
You plant the seed and just sit back until it grows! :roll:
Hope your next few days to better!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:55 am 
Hawkeye

Tough row to hoe. The old timey way was with a scythe and not baling but putting it in a pile around a post. Time consuming it is. Maybe time to switch to rice? :P Good luck my friend.
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 am 
Hawkeye

We've had similar summers when it just didn't dry up. In those days, I used all the hay I produced and could sort the better and the not so. Now, I sell all except a few bales kept for the goats so I can't just relegate some to use for livestock bedding--it all needs to be feed quality.
If all goes not too poorly today, I'll be looking at the end of the baling soon.
I'm pretty much on track today. I figure if I've worked hard enough to sweat through my shirt by 9AM, I've made a good start. I just came in for a coffee break @ 8:15 and the only dry parts of my shirt are the pocket flaps and the placket on the front. Baler and tractor greased, oil checked, chain oiler filled, twine box checked, and bearings shaken. All that's left is wash the windows and snug up the "loose nut" behind the steering wheel. While I was accomplishing those tasks, I had the water running in the sprayer nurse tank so it's ready to take to the field.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 am 
Hawkeye

Good Job! Hey I would hire you in a heart beat!
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:17 pm 
Blackhawk

If it was easy, everybody would do it. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:18 pm 
Blackhawk

Hay is a commodity that when you sell it its too cheap, and when you buy it its too expensive. Running a cow/calf operation has turned into a joke. If I cood figure out what else to do with the land I would get out asap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 pm 
Hawkeye

Had an OK run today w/o significant problems. Maybe 40 +/- bales left to roll up. Probably not going to get it all moved before the next round of rains. My hay buyer hauls with an 18 wheeler and that makes things difficult as we have no hard surface area big enough to handle such a rig so any amount of rain stops the process.
Last year we loaded on a wide intersection on the county road but even that's been under 4-5' of water multiple times this summer and unsuitable for a loaded semi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:33 pm 
Blackhawk

Same here in Southern Illinois. LUCKILY all sin and gas taxes going up at midnight. My neighbor is using my fields. If you don't Autumn Olive bushes take over. I get to use his Bob Catt as needed in exchange..He got all done this evening. Still haven't put my 3 acres of Corn for the Deer yet. planter down again..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 am 
Hawkeye

Hay is ready here, but harvest has not started Too Wet! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 am 
Hawkeye

Had a slight burp in the game plan. A month back I'd decided this year was going to be challenging and bought a used "disc mower" to augment my sickle bar hay conditioner. Good move as no sickle mower would cut the stuff we grew this year. Tom talked me into advertising my sickle bar mowers (I have 2 for use and 1 for parts) to free up some barn space and partially cover the cost of the disc mower. Guess what? A guy called last night to set up a time to come and take 1 working mower and the parts unit this morning. Then I found that another guy wants to buy the remaining one as soon as buyer #1 makes his choice.
This is GOOD fortune but BAD timing as we're about maxed out time wise. Tom's bringing the skid loader to help and I've got my Ford 4000 loaded on the trailer to shuffle stuff around in the machine shed cause EVERYTHING is parked in front of those mowers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:19 am 
Hawkeye

Life, ain’t it fun! Timing is everything or so I have been told! When things go too easy I start wondering what I have done wrong?
gramps

Last edited by gramps on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:33 am 
Buckeye

and to make matters worse, muddy harvests will tell buyers theres dirt is in the hay and give you less.
are you using wire or mesh on your bails, mo'?
round or square bails?

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:19 am 
Hawkeye

These are 1200-1500# round bales. My buyer feeds show calves inside a large barn so doesn't want net wrap although he does tolerate plastic twine. Using sisal twine often results in a hay explosion during handling unless the bales are moved immediately. As it is, the bales get handled 4-6 times in getting moved, loaded, unloaded, and ultimately fed.
Last year we were able to cut loading time to approx 30 minutes by using both skidloader and tractor loader but not this time. Loading with the tractor alone takes most of an hour.