RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:47 pm 
Hunter

This is all a sign that our entire civilization is starting to crumble.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:11 pm 
Newly Registered

Fox Mike wrote:
Ask some of the kids today if it is 10:45 or quarter till 11. Watch the look.

isn't quarter till eleven the same as 10:35? lol

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 pm 
Hawkeye

Hi,

I think of this one every year as dove season approaches:

Several of us had hunted doves together for years, and always used the "clock system" to describe where birds were coming in or from. Same as a million war movies with fighter pilots, right? Can't be too hard to figure out.

Well, this time we took a 16 yr old kid on his first dove hunt, as his Dad had to work that day. We'd call birds for him, he'd look at his wrist, then be all tangled up where the bird was, and he'd miss it. Finally my buddy asked him what the problem was.

"I've got a digital watch" came the reply!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 pm 
Blackhawk

Rick Courtright wrote:
Mobuck wrote:
I learned "mental math" from Dad who was very good at making a "close calculation with big numbers" to get a ballpark figure and also with fractions. I'm not so good anymore as I forget where I started at times.

Hi,

My old gunsmith boss was a functional illiterate: it would take him 30 minutes to read a column in the newspaper about 4 inches long. But with "mental math" he was like Rain Man! Best I can remember, he was never wrong on a calculation I saw him do.

You guys who DO have machinist training will get a giggle out of this. They did a fair amount of machine work in the shop, and every so often someone would come looking for a job, claiming machinist experience. Boss would take 'em out to the back of the shop where the lathe and mills were, and chuck up a piece of scrap round stock in the lathe. He'd tell the guy he wanted him to cut a short length of that piece to 1/4" less in diameter. Inevitably the guy would set the cutting tool to make a cut, turn on the machine and end up with 1/2" less diameter.

When that happened, boss would politely tell the fellow "Sorry, no job, but let me give you a quick lesson" and explain why they should take a 1/8" cut since the stock was being cut from both sides. They'd get lost taking the 1/4" and dividing it by 2 to get to that 1/8" he was talking about. I hope they could read and write, so maybe they could be authors, because machine work was above and beyond them if it involved some scribbling of numbers on a piece of scratch paper before hitting the "on" button.

Rick C
some of the older lathes had direct read dials on the compound. If you moved the dial .010 it would move the tool in .010. That would cut .010 off on a side making the piece .020 smaller in diameter. Newer lathes had indirect read dials. When you moved the compound .010 it would move the tool only .005 thus taking .005 on a side making the piece .010 smaller in diameter.
My old South Bend lathe has a direct read dial and I have to remind myself of that every time I use it.