RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:35 pm 
Buckeye

I made a purchase at a LTD that totalled $110 even. I handed the young lady 3 $20 and a $50. I started seeing smoke. She laid the money out on the counter and stared at it for a bit and then called over another clerk and asked if I was right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:59 pm 
Ruger Guru

I too have fun with the fact I can figure out my change & all faster than the idiots at many cash registers nowadays.
But,, if they have to call a manager,, I politely but firmly point out the failing of a BASIC skill of handling money. I then ask the manager; "Do you want a person like this handling YOUR paycheck?"

Only once,, have I had a manager so confused as to how to make change to the point of filing a written complaint with the owner of the fast food place.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:31 pm 
Hawkeye

AJGUNNER wrote:
The best quick lunch deal anywhere is to buy off the drive through dollar menu, and pay with 50 cent pieces. For some reason they will gladly take 50 cents for each dollar item you order. :lol: It even says the value/amount right on the coin. They are either to excited to see a "real silver dollar", or to stupid to bother actually reading what it is in their hands. Either way, it seems to work at just about any fast food drive through. :wink:

Hi,

A trapshooting acquaintance is a retired Sheriff's deputy. His Dad taught the "bad kids" in a continuation high school, and his uncle taught my HS chemistry and physics classes-- where a lot of the motion problems were explained in gun related terms--then took some time off to finish his doctorate in physics, and came back to teach at UC until he passed. Grandpa had an old time gun shop that pretty much ran out of a cigar box as far as money was concerned. And courtesy of that cigar box, everybody in the family knew how to count change.

So our deputy friend doesn't come from a line of dummies. He once told me if you could stand your conscience yelling at you, it wouldn't take much to make $100-$200 a day shortchanging kids at drive thru windows. I wouldn't be surprised, though my conscience says "Don't do it."

I stop for coffee several times a week at a local fast food place, and when I add one of their breakfast sandwiches the change on the bill comes to 19 cents. There's a lady there who's pretty sharp, been doing this money handling thing a while--she's 54-55--yet I can still get her talking to herself 3 out of 4 times by doing something with the 19 cents. This morning I gave her 29 cents, the easiest one in the book (I thought), and it had her twisted up to where she needed a chiropractor to stand up straight. I asked her why she didn't just subtract the 19 cents from the 29 cents I gave her, in her head, and give me the dime. Omigosh... "I never thought of that." The young ones make her look like the best money handler in the universe...

Some places the kids are probably just never gonna get it. I'll give them odd things in bills and change, knowing what I want back out of it. Sometimes they ask why I'm giving them extra money. I usually tell them "Just ring it in and watch what happens." "Wow, how'd you do that?" is a common response.

Making change the way I was taught is really just an exercise in counting. It barely even deserves the term "arithmetic" most of the time. I understand the abacus/soroban is making a comeback in schools in some parts of the world to help teach kids not only how change works, but how to handle many of the everyday things that are simple counting problems. I know a lot of kids who could benefit from such training!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
Sometimes they ask why I'm giving them extra money. I usually tell them "Just ring it in and watch what happens." "Wow, how'd you do that?" is a common response.

That's a fact. Something costs $5.50 and I hand them a $10 and a $1. They hand the $1 back saying I gave them too much $. I tell them I want a $5 back instead of 4 $1's. Blank. I tell them to enter it and it says they owe me $5.50

So, they hand me the change with a puzzled look on their face wondering if I just pulled some slight of hand magic trick and their drawers are going to come up short :)

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm 
Buckeye

2 + 2 = 5 for very large amounts of 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 pm 
Buckeye

When I was a Ute I delivered car parts to garages. Some would run a weekly tab and I’d have to collect the bill. We offered 2% discount for cash. Guys would look at me like I was a god because I figured out 2% of $486.50 was $9.73 in my head.
I had a young guy working for me and he asked what I should charge a customer for customer for an item. Back then we had printed price sheets. Yellow sheet was mainly walk in. Green sheet garages and Blue sheet was the best price. All the sheets had the same list price but the cost to the customer was X% off of list. I told him to charge 40% off of list. He proceeds to multiply list times 40 and then deduct that amount off of the list price. When I told him to just multiply the list by 60 or 6 and add a zero on the end he looked at me like I grew a third eye. No matter how I tried I couldn’t get him to realize that taking 40% off was the same a leaving 60% on. I asked what his major in college was, and you probably guessed it. Math.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 pm 
Buckeye

Funny story. My Dad also worked for the same store. One night a customer called and asked my Dad what the decimal equivalent for say 11/32s. Dad just happened to have a chart showing these in front of him. Dad rattled off the number reading from the chart. The guy asks are you sure? Dad say yes. Customer then asks well what’s 7/16ths equal to and Dad just reads off the chart again. Again, are you sure? Yes I am. The guy must have asked 4 or 5 numbers and Dad just read the corresponding number. The guy finally said, Damn, You sure do know your mathematics! Dad just replied, Yeah, it’s a hobby of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:40 pm 
Buckeye

At least now they have cash registers that figure the change. I was on jury duty n downtown LA. Got a burger bill was about $6.80. I gave the guy a ten and told him just put the change on the tray - busy limited time to eat etc. Went and sat down and see he gave me $6.80. Guy with me got the same thing. We're sitting there watching and after a short time he calls the manager over because he needs more money.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:18 am 
Hunter

RSIno1 wrote:
At least now they have cash registers that figure the change.

That right there is the major issue.

They don't to know how to count change the machine does it for them.......Unless you slip the extra change in after they hit the keys. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:59 am 
Hunter

Many years ago at a MacDonalds my bill was $6.20. I put down a $10, a $1 and two dimes. The kid entered this into the register and then looked up at me with astonishment. He said breathlessly, "How did you do that? Your change comes out to exactly $5!". I said its just simple arithmetic, but he thought I was some sort to math genius and said the same. He was a nice kid so I didn't say what was in my head, and that was to have said "That's why I'm retired and living a nice life, and you are stuck here working in a fast foot store".

Truly unfortunately many young people today not only do not have basic math and arithmetic skills, they have ZERO understanding of economics and even the terms used. A young man in our family could not get it through his head that "revenue" and "profit" were not the same thing. He has had numerous costly problems with the bank because he cannot seem to understand how to keep a check register. He looks it up online and thinks he has the balance shown on the screen. I have tried more than once to explain to him that he needs to subtract any outstanding checks that have not yet cleared the bank to know how much money he really has available to him, but it doesn't seem to get through to him. It is scary to think about people like this voting. When they hear a politician talk about giving them goodies "for free" they don't laugh, they salivate! Trying to explain that just because a politician is saying that he or she will provide unlimited medical care to everyone and they would not be charged a penny, plus college would be free for everyone, student loans will be forgiven, minimum wages will be raised so that everyone has a "living wage", etc, etc. they actually believe what they are hearing because they have no understanding whatsoever that these things will not actually ever happen.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:16 am 
Hawkeye

The "math (or arithmetic if you choose)deficiency" goes back further than the current generation.
Close to 30 years back, I was trying to get a farm loan and had "an interview" with the lender's loan officer who was just out of college. I was giving him numbers and making the calculations mentally before he could manipulate his calculator. After 5 minutes of this, the loan officer asked me to stop doing this as it confused him. About that time, I realized I wasn't getting the loan and quite possibly this was a good thing.
I learned "mental math" from Dad who was very good at making a "close calculation with big numbers" to get a ballpark figure and also with fractions. I'm not so good anymore as I forget where I started at times.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:19 pm 
Hunter

I work with several 20 something's who will, when asked the time, pull out their cell phone and read it. I have asked why they don't look at the clock and the answer is we didn't use that kind of clock in school so I don't have time to figure it out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
I learned "mental math" from Dad who was very good at making a "close calculation with big numbers" to get a ballpark figure and also with fractions. I'm not so good anymore as I forget where I started at times.

Hi,

My old gunsmith boss was a functional illiterate: it would take him 30 minutes to read a column in the newspaper about 4 inches long. But with "mental math" he was like Rain Man! Best I can remember, he was never wrong on a calculation I saw him do.

You guys who DO have machinist training will get a giggle out of this. They did a fair amount of machine work in the shop, and every so often someone would come looking for a job, claiming machinist experience. Boss would take 'em out to the back of the shop where the lathe and mills were, and chuck up a piece of scrap round stock in the lathe. He'd tell the guy he wanted him to cut a short length of that piece to 1/4" less in diameter. Inevitably the guy would set the cutting tool to make a cut, turn on the machine and end up with 1/2" less diameter.

When that happened, boss would politely tell the fellow "Sorry, no job, but let me give you a quick lesson" and explain why they should take a 1/8" cut since the stock was being cut from both sides. They'd get lost taking the 1/4" and dividing it by 2 to get to that 1/8" he was talking about. I hope they could read and write, so maybe they could be authors, because machine work was above and beyond them if it involved some scribbling of numbers on a piece of scratch paper before hitting the "on" button.

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:27 am 
Bearcat

I find that age has nothing to do with it. A lot of people have problems working with money out of a till, I think most are afraid they may make a mistake and ether short change the customer or give to much back and end up short and have to pay it back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:41 am 
Bearcat

This morning I stopped at a fast food for breakfast. Bill was $4.28, gave the girl a $5 bill two dimes a nickel and three pennies. She counted the change three times touching each coin as she counted. Then she put it and the $5 bill in the till and closed the drawer. I smiled and said the bill was $4.28 and I gave you $5.28. She looked at me as if I was speaking in a foreign language. She had to call the manager to open the drawer to give me my dollar change back.