RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:01 pm 
Hunter

A friend posted this on another forum:

Sorry; but another rant about millennials and basic math.

So there I was at the register in a local sandwich store.
My order came to $8.09
I gave the high school aged girl, at the register a $10 bill
and AS I'm saying "and here's a dime"; she quickly types $10 into the register -- but also takes the dime from me.
After the register drawer opens; she hands me a $1 bill and proceeds to begin counting out .91 in change.
I politely remind her that she took $10.10 from me; and that she should give me another $1 bill and a penny.

She acknowledged that I gave her $10.10. A couple of "oh, yea, umm" came from her. Followed by a completely confused, deer-in-headlights look.
She really could not comprehend the difference/change from $10.10 and $8.09 !

She calls over her manager; another high school or maybe first year college aged girl.
They both are completely baffled on the amount of change they should give me.
After about 30 seconds of them whispering to each other; the manger says "He's old, they can do math. Just give him what he says.".

I have seen this many times myself - and don't confuse them by using dollar coins.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pm 
Hawkeye

Yep, it is so much fun if you have the time!
gramps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:06 pm 
Hawkeye

Blows my mind how easy it is to confuse them. I had a deal rang up that turned out $9.05. I gave the gal a $10 bill, and said I've got a nickel. She apparently didn't hear that and put in the $10 into the register and I handed her a nickel. She had this strange look on her face. I said, "Did I confuse you?" She acknowledged I did, and I said, just give me back a $1. She did, but I could tell she wasn't sure. I think she got through school on her looks. Nice looking lady.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 pm 
Hawkeye

Over 20 years ago my son worked with me. We'd stop by a Burger King for breakfast and the change would be 91¢. The girl would always give me 9 dimes and a penny. One day I asked her to give me the change using quarters. She looked at the handful of dimes, looked at me and looked back down at the dimes and said "Wwwhy?" She had to get the manager to do it.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:12 pm 
Hawkeye

Ask some of the kids today if it is 10:45 or quarter till 11. Watch the look.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm 
Single-Sixer

I made a purchase at a circle k. Don't remember what it was but the total was $3.52. I paid with a $2.00 bill, a dollar coin, a 50 cent piece and 2 pennies. Totally shorted out the cashier.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm 
Hawkeye

sgtjimh wrote:
I made a purchase at a circle k. Don't remember what it was but the total was $3.52. I paid with a $2.00 bill, a dollar coin, a 50 cent piece and 2 pennies. Totally shorted out the cashier.

A friend of mine was at a kiosk in a mall and tried to pay with a $2.00 bill. Had security called on him before it was over.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:17 pm 
Hunter

Cholo wrote:
Over 20 years ago my son worked with me. We'd stop by a Burger King for breakfast and the change would be 91¢. The girl would always give me 9 dimes and a penny. One day I asked her to give me the change using quarters. She looked at the handful of dimes, looked at me and looked back down at the dimes and said "Wwwhy?" She had to get the manager to do it.

This one angers me. I hate a pocketful of change. Just a couple days ago I got mitfull of nickels (14) because that was all that was in the drawer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:31 pm 
Hunter

It's kinda nit-picking, but I'm an old fart, so I can be cranky. I get my undies in a bunch when people call it "math" when it's really"arithmetic".

"Math" is algebra, calculus, differential equations, trigonometry, complex numbers, matrix manipulation.......

And I, too have encountered many an air-headed cashier - nearly always a young one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:00 pm 
Hunter

What sad, sad stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:05 pm 
Hunter

nvbirdman wrote:
What sad, sad stories.

No, what a sad indictment of our educational system. :x
Paul B.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 pm 
Hunter

The best quick lunch deal anywhere is to buy off the drive through dollar menu, and pay with 50 cent pieces. For some reason they will gladly take 50 cents for each dollar item you order. :lol: It even says the value/amount right on the coin. They are either to excited to see a "real silver dollar", or to stupid to bother actually reading what it is in their hands. Either way, it seems to work at just about any fast food drive through. :wink:

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 pm 
Hawkeye

Some years back I was at a MacDonald for a breakfast to go. The bill came to something like $6.70. I handed the girl a $10.00 bill and three quarters. At that moment they lost all electricity. She had the drawer open but couldn't figure what to give me in change. Had to call the manager to give me my change.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 pm 
Bearcat

A Fast Change Artist could have a field day now a days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:12 pm 
Hunter

wwb wrote:
It's kinda nit-picking, but I'm an old fart, so I can be cranky. I get my undies in a bunch when people call it "math" when it's really"arithmetic".

"Math" is algebra, calculus, differential equations, trigonometry, complex numbers, matrix manipulation.......

And I, too have encountered many an air-headed cashier - nearly always a young one.

Do you know your naughts and gazintuz? :shock:

You can always tell the fellers with the higher edgicashun. :wink:

#Iwillnotcomplyfu

They want to "have a conversation". I want to grease the guillotine.

If you don't turn in your guns, they can't make you ride in the cattle cars.