RugerForum.com
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/

Things you find out by reading
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=279594
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Fox Mike [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Things you find out by reading

The US Marine hymn speaks of "the shores of Tripoli". By that one would believe that a major Marine force had raided Triploi. Actually there were only eight (8) Marines and about five hundred (500) mercinaries in that raid. Granted they did fight other battles while there but most were aboard ships. Not knocking the Corp, just posting fact.

Author:  Wyandot Jim [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

Yep I have also read that. It was still quite an accomplishment considering the miles they traveled in the desert. I have also seen the movie about it but don't remember the name.
Just think about it. We have been fighting the Muslims for a long time :wink:

Author:  Colonialgirl [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

YEAH, MARINES LED the way and commanded the attack.

Author:  blackhawknj [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

"The halls of Montezuma". He'd been out of business for quite a few years when they landed there.

Author:  Jeepnik [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

blackhawknj wrote:
"The halls of Montezuma". He'd been out of business for quite a few years when they landed there.


Gee, we could pick any of the services hymns apart. For instance, the wild blue yonder isn't. It's actually a reflection mostly of ocean. The army hasn't used caissons for a very long time. And Anchors Aweigh is basically a drinking song. Not to mention they don't, strictly speaking, sail anymore.

Author:  Fox Mike [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

Jeepnik wrote:
blackhawknj wrote:
"The halls of Montezuma". He'd been out of business for quite a few years when they landed there.


Gee, we could pick any of the services hymns apart. For instance, the wild blue yonder isn't. It's actually a reflection mostly of ocean. The army hasn't used caissons for a very long time. And Anchors Aweigh is basically a drinking song. Not to mention they don't, strictly speaking, sail anymore.

Not any intent to "pick apart" anything. I just posted a fact. Some atempt to find 'negative' in everything.

Author:  vito [ Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

Maybe its time to update all of the services songs. Maybe use one song for all of them, like Bruno Mars "Uptown Funk".

Author:  Montelores [ Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

"For instance, the wild blue yonder isn't. It's actually a reflection mostly of ocean."


So why do we have a blue sky in the center of North America?

:wink:

Monty

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/G ... e_sky.html

Author:  graygun [ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

I believe the Army hymn replaced "caissons" with "Army".


"The Army goes rolling along"

Author:  T.A. WORKMAN [ Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

Semper Fi!

Author:  Wyandot Jim [ Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

vito wrote:
Maybe its time to update all of the services songs. Maybe use one song for all of them, like Bruno Mars "Uptown Funk".


Since you are retired GI I know this was a joke. Why do we need to change History that has been changed so much now???
When I was in school back in the 40-50 we had Music and we sang all of the old military songs along with the songs of the South. We loved it and NOBODY thought they were BAD or Raciest. What a shame the Kids of today don't know any of the old classics. Way Down Upon The Swanee River, Camptown Racers. :wink:
The only way an 6-8 year old kid could be racist is if his parents told him to be :(

Author:  protoolman [ Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

Anchors Aweigh is basically a drinking song? Never hear that but so what? I did have a few beers in a few ports and I'm fine with that.

Author:  6GUNSONLY [ Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

My dad was a Navy man and I remember him singing the Naval hymn to me on many occasions. I used to love to lay by him at night when I was a little boy and get him to tell me stories about when he was in the Navy. He was on a tin can, Atlantic Fleet, and his daily job was the ship's store. His battle station was on the depth charges. He's been gone 10 years now, I still miss him.

Apologies for the thread drift. Just got me thinking...

Author:  Wyandot Jim [ Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

6GUNSONLY wrote:
My dad was a Navy man and I remember him singing the Naval hymn to me on many occasions. I used to love to lay by him at night when I was a little boy and get him to tell me stories about when he was in the Navy. He was on a tin can, Atlantic Fleet, and his daily job was the ship's store. His battle station was on the depth charges. He's been gone 10 years now, I still miss him.

Apologies for the thread drift. Just got me thinking...


I for one don't see where an Apology is need when speaking about a dedicated American

Author:  6GUNSONLY [ Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Things you find out by reading

Thanks Jim.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/