RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NIKON scope warranty?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: missouri
Has anyone had personal experience with the "NO FAULT" Nikon warranty?
I have Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 in front of me that has a complete failure of the top turret. My guess is the guy who borrowed the rifle didn't know that the caps had to be removed to make zero adjustments and he screwed the top cap down to the point of stripping the adjustment turret out of the housing.
PS: Don't loan out anything you can't afford to lose.

_________________
Mobuck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am 
Buckeye

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:35 pm
Posts: 1023
Location: Texas
Wow.

In my view the guy who borrowed it and destroyed it owes you a replacement.

I’m guessing you don’t want to pursue that angle, though. I think it would be worth sending to Nikon. Maybe they’d help you, and it seems like you’d only be out a few bucks for shipping, to find out.

Here’s a link to a copy of their warranty. It appears they’ve left plenty of loopholes for themselves. I know I don’t habitually save the purchase receipts for scopes I have owned for several years.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_US/ ... sample.pdf


Last edited by arfmel on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:47 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:01 am
Posts: 14923
Location: Woodbury, Tn
Call NKON. I too have one, and they are fine scopes. Let us know how it turns out.
gramps

_________________
NRA Patron Member
Tn firearms association: http://www.tfaonline.org


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:03 am 
Hawkeye
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 am
Posts: 13424
Location: Monroe County, MS
arfmel wrote:
Wow.

In my view the guy who borrowed it and destroyed it owes you a replacement.

I’m guessing you don’t want to pursue that angle, though. I think it would be worth sending to Nikon. Maybe they’d help you, and it seems like you’d only be out a few bucks for shipping, to find out.

Here’s a link to a copy of their warranty. It appears they’ve left plenty of loopholes for themselves. I know I don’t habitually save the purchase receipts for scopes I have owned for several years.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en_US/ ... sample.pdf


Pretty standard warranty for lots of things. I doubt Nikon will fix it for free. Is it your scope, or are you trying to fix it for somebody else?

_________________
In the dimness of the shadows
Where we hairy heathens warred,
I can taste in thought the lifeblood;
We used teeth before the sword.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:55 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 am
Posts: 8479
Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Nikon's website lists all the Nikon authorized repair facilities around the country.
Nikon itself has only two repair facilities.
Based on experience-and this is over several years and hundreds of items Nikon itself is slower than the outside shops. They seem to be busy refurbishing returned units for resale.
Good luck getting it fixed.

_________________
Gun control means you never have to say, "I missed you".
A mind is a terrible thing to waste on a Liberal.
Moto Guzzi-the way the V is meant to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:57 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:01 am
Posts: 16174
Location: Milo Maine
As far as I know Nikon has a 100% No Fault Warranty. The one exception is electronics.

_________________
A gun is like a parachute.
If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 am 
Buckeye

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Sonoran Desert Az.
Nikon has an excellent warranty and it does not matter whether you are the original owner or not.
I have sent a couple scopes to Nikon to have fixed.
They were both fixed and sent back free of charge.
When I got them back they were in as good as new condition.
I am not sure what they will say about your particular problem , but it would be worth a phone call.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 pm 
Ruger Guru

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:01 am
Posts: 11203
Location: KY
Have only had to send one Nikon back, cost me for shipping, nothing else. They sent me a brand new scope.

_________________
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 am
Posts: 8479
Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
I just read their warranty and it specifically stated for the original owner.

_________________
Gun control means you never have to say, "I missed you".
A mind is a terrible thing to waste on a Liberal.
Moto Guzzi-the way the V is meant to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:39 pm 
Hawkeye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 2:01 am
Posts: 12011
Location: Maine
Just me but a warranty should be for something the manufacturer is at fault for and not something the customer or anyone else messed up. I'd be presenting this to whomever borrowed the rifle and messed the scope up. If nothing there, you chalk it up as a learning experience - know who you're lending it to.

_________________
Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. More people need to start being the bug.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 pm 
Buckeye

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Sonoran Desert Az.
Bull Barrel wrote:
I just read their warranty and it specifically stated for the original owner.

I bought a Mini 14 with a Nikon scope on it.
The scope wouldn't track.
I called Nikon and told them that I got it used and if they could fix it.
They said "send it in".
They fixed it for free and sent it back to me.
I did have to pay shipping to send it in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 pm 
Hawkeye

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: missouri
I got a response to my email request. They said "Don't worry, just ship it in and we'll fix it".

_________________
Mobuck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:06 pm 
Buckeye

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Sonoran Desert Az.
Nikon is not the only one with excellent warranties and service.
I have also had excellent service from Leupold and Burris.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:26 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 am
Posts: 8479
Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
Busterswoodshop wrote:
Bull Barrel wrote:
I just read their warranty and it specifically stated for the original owner.

I bought a Mini 14 with a Nikon scope on it.
The scope wouldn't track.
I called Nikon and told them that I got it used and if they could fix it.
They said "send it in".
They fixed it for free and sent it back to me.
I did have to pay shipping to send it in.


Great they did that. How long ago was that?
Mobuck, let us know how it goes!

_________________
Gun control means you never have to say, "I missed you".
A mind is a terrible thing to waste on a Liberal.
Moto Guzzi-the way the V is meant to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:50 am 
Buckeye

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Sonoran Desert Az.
Bull Barrel wrote:
Busterswoodshop wrote:
Bull Barrel wrote:
I just read their warranty and it specifically stated for the original owner.

I bought a Mini 14 with a Nikon scope on it.
The scope wouldn't track.
I called Nikon and told them that I got it used and if they could fix it.
They said "send it in".
They fixed it for free and sent it back to me.
I did have to pay shipping to send it in.


Great they did that. How long ago was that?
Mobuck, let us know how it goes!


About a year ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group