RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Wyandot Jim wrote:
6GUNSONLY wrote:
My dad was a Navy man and I remember him singing the Naval hymn to me on many occasions. I used to love to lay by him at night when I was a little boy and get him to tell me stories about when he was in the Navy. He was on a tin can, Atlantic Fleet, and his daily job was the ship's store. His battle station was on the depth charges. He's been gone 10 years now, I still miss him.

Apologies for the thread drift. Just got me thinking...

I for one don't see where an Apology is need when speaking about a dedicated American

I agree, since it caused me to think of my father, a Master Sergeant, who raised my brother and I like he was still in the Army. He was a good man!
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:07 pm 
Buckeye

Fox Mike wrote:
The US Marine hymn speaks of "the shores of Tripoli". By that one would believe that a major Marine force had raided Triploi. Actually there were only eight (8) Marines and about five hundred (500) mercinaries in that raid. Granted they did fight other battles while there but most were aboard ships. Not knocking the Corp, just posting fact.

You left out a few facts. The Marines were a 1st Lieutenant, Presley O'Bannon, a sergeant and six enlisted men. The mercenary army was composed of Greek Orthadox Christians and Muslisms. They had to march across 500 miles of desert and at times were down to "...a handful of rice and two biscuits a day". The different parts of their "army" mutinied at different times during their journey. After arriving in Derna, O'Bannon, his Marines and 50 Greek gunners captured a battery of cannon. The good lieutenant raised Old Glory over the battery, which was the first time the US flag had ever flown over land in the Old World.

There is a lot more details involved in the story dealing politics, but the above summarizes the role of the Marines in Tripoli.

Here is the link to Wikipedia, which corresponds closely with my Marine Corps history references:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Derna_(1805)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 pm 
Hawkeye

Wyandot Jim wrote:
Camptown Racers. :wink:
The only way an 6-8 year old kid could be racist is if his parents told him to be :(

I wonder how many people had never heard The Camptown Races until the movie Blazing Saddles came out?

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am 
Buckeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
Wyandot Jim wrote:
Camptown Racers. :wink:
The only way an 6-8 year old kid could be racist is if his parents told him to be :(

I wonder how many people had never heard The Camptown Races until the movie Blazing Saddles came out?

Rick C

I was living in Maryland with my granny while I was in grade school. My music teacher taught us a lot of folk songs, including those written by Stephen Foster. We also sang Dixie and The Battle Hymn of the Republic. This was in the '60s. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:23 pm 
Hawkeye

Swanee River
Song by Bing Crosby
Lyrics
Way down upon the Swanee River,
Far, far away.
That's where my heart is yearning ever,
Home where the old folks stay.
Way down upon the Swanee River,
Far, far away-hey.
Wo, that's where my heart is yearning ever,