RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 pm 
Hawkeye

Yep, I'm long time member of the club too. Been fighting diabetes for about forty years now. I keep an A1c around 6 most of the time. I do two insulin injections per day.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:56 am 
Hunter

Dave, don't get discouraged. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago and I had an A1C of 15.2 and blood sugar reading of 400 plus. I started the metformin regime, diet changes and walking 10k-12k steps a day an average of for to five days a week and in 6 weeks it was down to 11.7. I had it checked at the clinic last night and it was down to 7.1. My vision was changing every 30 days or so for several months before the diagnosis and with the changes I've made in the last three months I am now back to my old prescription in my classes and I've lost about 26 pounds and feel great. Yes, there are times if feels like you live in food purgatory but the fact is I consider the diagnosis a blessing. It served as a wake up call and the lifestyle changes have improved my health and hopefully extended my time with my family.

Robb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am 
Hawkeye

One thing about metformin, don't stay away from a bathroom too far until you figure out the schedule of need.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am 
Hunter

That bathroom issue resolved itself once I stopped drinking 2-3 gallons of water a day before I was diagnosed and started on the meds. At least that was how it worked in my case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:17 am 
Hawkeye

Metformin does have side effects, and may not effect everyone. I use Chlorestramine a powder for Cholesterol, and it helps. I think a lot of people use it to help with the side effects. I also carry Immodium with me for bad days, which is rare now.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:15 am 
Hawkeye

I have been on metformin for 2-3 weeks. So far no side effects. I am however on a minimum dose of 500mg once in the evening with dinner.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 am 
Hunter

Good to see you starting on a low dose. My numbers where so high I started right out with 1000 metformin both morning and night. You can handle this Chief!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Robb Barnes wrote:
Good to see you starting on a low dose. My numbers where so high I started right out with 1000 metformin both morning and night. You can handle this Chief!

Thanks Robb. :D I am dedicated to making the changes I need to get a handle on this....

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:54 pm 
Ruger Guru

Doc told me a year ago I was diabetic. I said give me a year, and I won't be. I lost 70 pounds, and am no longer diabetic. I would rather work out the rest of my life, and not eat like I did, than stick myself everyday!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm 
Buckeye

Robb Barnes wrote:
That bathroom issue resolved itself once I stopped drinking 2-3 gallons of water a day before I was diagnosed and started on the meds. At least that was how it worked in my case.

That increased urination was likely a result of the uncontrolled diabetes. As was the drinking 2-3 gallons of water a day. The “3 P’s” of diabetes in regards to symptoms are polyuria, polyphagia, and polydipsia. In layman’s terms, pee a lot, drink a lot, eat a lot. Controlling your diabetes was likely the main culprit in resolving those issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 am 
Hawkeye

exavid wrote:
Yep, I'm long time member of the club too. Been fighting diabetes for about forty years now. I keep an A1c around 6 most of the time. I do two insulin injections per day.

A1c around 6...? Congrats! Once it hits 5.7, you are no longer diabetic. Total remission. Not many have the discipline to get there. You done good.

PC = Political Submission