RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I am now a Diabetic....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:22 pm 
Hawkeye

The last couple of years my Dr. told me my A1C was getting up to borderline Diabetes level. Well a couple of weeks ago he called me to say I am officially Diabetic. :(

I have been on a modified version of the Keto diet, A1C has kept creeping up. Initially he has put me on a minimum dose of Metformin. After a couple of months I get another test to see how things look. I also monitor blood sugar every morning.

I miss the big baked potatoes, fries, Mama's apple pie, and a dish of ice cream every night. I told my Dr. that I was going to cheat once a month and eat whatever I please. Something to look forward too.... :wink:

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:30 pm 
Hunter

Dave,
When I was diagnosed as a Type II diabetic (19 years ago) I had an appointment with the diabetes nurse/counselor. Told her, "Well I guess there goes eating cookies". She told me, "You can still eat cookies, just don't eat the whole package in one sitting!" I have lost weight, watch my diet and I have not had to go on anything other than oral medications (Metformin is the main one, along with a couple others). I do not need insulin, my body makes enough, it just needs help getting it to do what it is supposed to do.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pm 
Buckeye

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. A1C was 11.3! I was drinking about 1/2-3/4 gal. of sweet tea a day plus whatever I felt like eating or drinking. I cut out sugar went to whole wheat bread no beer, really got religion, so to speak. Was put on metformin & glipizide. 6 mos. later my A1C was down to 5.8, then 5.6. I’ve been cheating here and there. Last test was 6.4. My wife has been on Weight Watchers and has lost a lot of weight. She’s trying to get me to commit to it but I like to eat! I am sure weight loss would help my diabetes, blood pressure, and knees but I am weak. I can’t envision looking forward to a dinner of steamed broccoli.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:28 pm 
Hawkeye

Mmmmm . . . steamed broccoli . . . with a quarter-pound of butter and a side of sweet potatoes!!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:41 pm 
Hawkeye

Heliman wrote:
The last couple of years my Dr. told me my A1C was getting up to borderline Diabetes level. Well a couple of weeks ago he called me to say I am officially Diabetic. :(

I have been on a modified version of the Keto diet, A1C has kept creeping up. Initially he has put me on a minimum dose of Metformin. After a couple of months I get another test to see how things look. I also monitor blood sugar every morning.

I miss the big baked potatoes, fries, Mama's apple pie, and a dish of ice cream every night. I told my Dr. that I was going to cheat once a month and eat whatever I please. Something to look forward too.... :wink:

Dave

One thing that isn't all that hard is called intermittent fasting. Within reason, eat what you want from noon till 7:00 at night and nothing from 7:00 pm till noon. I'm guessing your A1C will improve as times goes on. I've had a problem with Metformin for years. It can cause diarrhea issues. Imodium, or there's another thing that can help.
Hang in there, you have more discipline than you realize.

Acorn, an A1c of 11.3 is in the range of serious problems, including going blind. I went through a period where my A1c was 9.0 and went for my diabetic eye check, and the eye dr. just about flipped. It was a huge office with several doctors and she said that 2-3 times a year someone would come in who was blind from diabetes. At that point there's nothing they can do. Glad you got it down.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 am 
Hawkeye

I too am diabetic, since the late 1980’s. Most type 2 is actually Syndrome X, which is reversible. The Keto diet is severe, but can work wonders. Cut out ALL SUGARS, and carbohydrates. Eat salads with salmon, tuna, chicken etc. beef 2-3 times a week and DON’T TRIM THE FAT! The whole idea is to get into a state where you burn fat. After approximately 6-9 months on the diet you can then allow a few carbs in. My girl friend has lost 65 lbs the last 6 months. Sooo, I am starting the KETO diet myself. I want to get off of my insulin, and BP med. Good luck to all of us!
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 am 
Buckeye

Yes 11.3 is high. Dr called after my first test and told me to “get in here”. I had noticed some eyesight issues but figured it was age. Luckily the eye doctor couldn’t detect any residual effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am 
Hawkeye

Improve circulation. Exercise as if your life depends on it.

You, me, and 30 million other people.

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:26 pm 
Blackhawk

I used to be borderline diabetic and my daughter was taking the shots. We started a plan called "Yoli". I am now taking no meds and my daughter is off the shots and all meds also. Look up the Yoli plan and see if it will work for you. Daughter was spending about $750 per month for insulin. This plan cost about $200 per month. She is saving around $500 per month. My blood sugar was running 160-170. Now it runs between 95-100 consistent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:13 pm 
Hunter

Heliman wrote:

Dave

Are you classified as over weight by any chance?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:57 pm 
Buckeye

Acorn wrote:
...I can’t envision looking forward to a dinner of steamed broccoli.

Olive oil, salt, pepper - roast it at 400 for about 10-15 minutes. Get it nice and brown. Won't change the way it affects your body and tastes so much better than steaming it.
Or buy the broccoli slaw bag from Wal Mart and mix lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and some chili pepper or diced jalapenos for heat. Great side dish, full of nutrition and good fat and likely better than whatever alternatives you were going to eat.
The key to eating differently is experimenting and being open to different things. Steamed broccoli is awful and it's not the only way you can eat it. Food should be enjoyed. Real food.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm 
Hawkeye

Mus408 wrote:
Heliman wrote:

Dave

Are you classified as over weight by any chance?

YES! I am working to lose weight. I am a small framed person. When I got out of the Navy in ‘72 I weighed 140 lbs. The last time I was under 200 was in ‘86. Now, I am down from a high of 244 to 224. My initial goal is 200. I would like to realistically get to 180. I am losing a little at a time. Wish me luck!

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:02 pm 
Hawkeye

Best of luck with your health and weight loss! My husband was diagnosed as type 2 years ago when his A1c came back as 7.4 so he decided to take care of it or else deal with possible health issue and even got used to the once a year instead of every three year eye doctor visits. He did start eating smarter and more healthy and in a year he had lost 20 plus pounds but did add muscle mass which helps to burn calories and his A1c was down to 5.7. The best and smartest thing is years later he is still keeping it up. Will be pulling for you on your progress!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 pm 
Blackhawk

With the plan I mentioned earlier I have also lost 43 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm 
Hunter

Might shock folks but can't remember what my A1c is but I keep same weight range for years at 155-158 lbs. and at 5.8 height. Still feel good at 65 now and just stay active doing physical activity plus a 1/2 mile walk twice a day...the dog. I eat smaller portions but do like a beer everyday and maybe some ice cream during the Summer months!