RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 am 
Hunter

Sometimes when I think about growing old. I think about James Dean and Elvis Presley. In my mind they more or less started out the same.

James will always be young to us because he was taken in his prime. We got to see Elvis deteriorate over time. To be blunt would you rather go out in your prime in a spectacular car wreck, or a fat old man on your toilet? I guess we don’t really get to decide. I know I’m not old yet but can no longer die young. Lol.

Came back to edit. Because I just realized Elvis was so young when he died. I was only a kid when he died. I had no idea he was only 42! Still James was only 24. Wow! I’m older then Elvis!

Interesting (to me at least), Elvis was born Jan 8, and James Feb 8.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:22 am 
Ruger Guru

And right now,, despite my age, & such,, I look better than they do! :D :D

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am 
Hawkeye

One thing for sure, no one on this forum is growing younger. Youth is wasted on the young, by the time you appreciate it, it's gone. I'm over 3/4 of a century now and pretty much filled out my bucket list but still enjoy watching my grandchildren grow up. I don't enjoy the debilities of aging, I could have done without the arthritis, cancer, failing knees and such but I still climb on my bike and have a good time on a twisty road, enjoy friends at the range and others. All in all not too bad... except for the demoncrats running this state.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 am 
Hunter

Yes, personally I WOULD rather go out a fat old man on my toilet than in my prime as a young hot shot because that would mean I got to live a lot of life the young hot shot didn't get to. Besides I AM a fat old man. There has been a large number events in my life I WOULDN'T want to relive again, accidents, injuries, high loss`s, huge disappointments, cheap dirty bull labor in my youth, some incidents where I thought I might not live through etc. Five weeks ago I fell in the middle of the night on the way to the toilet. I broke my hip joint out. I somehow was also pinned to the floor tightly part way in a closet and couldn't move a iota. The pain was the worst I ever had. I couldn't stop pooping. Wife called 911, also neighbors from across the street. The man and wife seen me laying in poop. I am just now starting to cope better with my situation. I cant walk without a walker. The first three weeks I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I am looking at at least $10,000 in doctor bills my deductible insurance wont cover. So far it looks like about a $55,000 fall, operation, hospital, ambulance and rehab bills starting to come in. Yet going by other bad events in my life with time we all but forget past tortures. I lost my nose about thirteen years ago. Cant count the broken bones from past MC and vehicle wrecks etc. Heart stents, fights etc. Buried four mates.
Dying as a young hot shot in your prime would be wimping out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 am 
Hunter

Yes, youth is wasted on the young. And a lot of "mature" people-aren't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 am 
Hunter

I've had intermittent back problems for over 20 years (I'm 60). What works for me is walking and moderate exercise several times a week. Even if you have an active physical job, exercises that are designed to enhance flexibility and strengthen your body core will probably help, if you don't have serious spinal degeneration. After one of my back "episodes", I went to physical therapy for a little while and I've continued to use the exercises they showed me. It really helps. And though I've had both knees replaced I have been able to avoid back surgery. I can still do "most" of the things I need to do, including pulling and shooting my 60# longbows.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 pm 
Hawkeye

bogus bill
Quote:
I am looking at at least $10,000 in doctor bills my deductible insurance wont cover. So far it looks like about a $55,000 fall, operation, hospital, ambulance and rehab bills starting to come in.

Wow now that is high priced Sh!t or is it now you don't have a pot to Pi$$ in :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:39 pm 
Hunter

It`s a long yet still unresolved story. I had just used up my lifetime medical insurance cap from Lockheed where I retired. (Had other medical problems that totaled whatever the cap was since I retired in january 2,000 They claim although they shouldn't have took my premiums I paid for the last couple months. I am being refunded for that month and basically they are saying I am SOL! The bills are just starting to roll in and I may have to get a lawyer. My wife is without insurance until July since the beginning of this year. We are also getting billed for prescriptions for since the start of the year they claim were wrongfully paid. I have been arguing with company reps about it since last November or so. Wish I had kept notes. They are so huge I never get the same person when I call. I was unmarried when I retired. I was told I needed to keep my insurance up on me so she could be insured. As I am over 65 mine was only about $40 a month but hers was/is?? $1146 a month. I had a broker trying to find us new insurance and he needed a letter from lockheed saying I am un insurable by their rules before we could buy other insurance. I broke my hip before the letter finally came! At the moment we have no idea how this will turn out. I just believe God will sort it out eventually. When this (if ever) is over I will post our outcome. I just bought some type insurance on me that as I understand it, must pay the first $7,900 of all bills before it kicks in. Hope I got that wrong! It`s a real mess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:44 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm in the same boat..... I have some rinkydinky insurance that might pay for some of my recent medical bills... Got the initial bill from the hospital for 5 days stay... $395,000 yeah they are going to have work real hard to find that money on me.

As for growing old: as my signature says:

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:52 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm glad that I'm qualified for VA Healthcare; they did L 3-4-5 ; spent 3 days in the hospital and NO COST to me. Cataract surgery the same thing; NO COST. I DO have AARP United Healthcare, but I had United BEFORE I retired and it automatically slid into the AARP version. Don't care for the AARP, but don't want to mess with my healthcare in that area.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 pm 
Hunter

The more you study this stuff the more confusing it gets.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:40 pm 
Buckeye

When you pass 70, you just got to be optimistic... you can't let $500,000 doctor/hospital bills over the last 5 years worry you!
Fact is, I'm thinking about being a part time jigalow to pay for hunting and fishing supplies!
Like I told my cardiologist when he said did I know I had three heart attacks in the past?
I told him.. you just gott'a be tough, doc!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:56 pm 
Buckeye

I hurt my back at work in the late 80s. Twisting injury caused a couple discs to pop out. Lived with it and it going out at odd times every couple years. It's finally gotten bad enough with the chronic pain that I've finally agreed to let them fuse 3-4 discs. Their usual caveat is well it could help - you could stay the same - it could get worse. Hope it will let me enjoy retirement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:10 am 
Hunter

I'm not sure why I even read this thread. I'm 76, in relatively good health for that age and have a lot to be grateful for, but I still feel down in the dumps a good deal of the time. With a caring and loving wife of 53 years, 5 grown kids and 12 grand kids, and fairly good financial shape (unless I live TOO long like my mother did, making it almost to 104) I should be smiling in my rocking chair. But a lot of the time lately I have been hearing that old Peggy Lee song playing in the back of my mind "Is That All There Is?". I don't go to the range as much anymore. Its just not much fun with my poorer vision and less steady hands, but I go often enough to remember which end of the gun to point at the bad guy should he enter my home. I still ride my motorcycle almost every nice day, but sometimes all it does is wear me out rather than pump me up as it used to. When I think about some of my days where watching a good movie on Netflix is the highlight of my day, I get discouraged all over again. And I certainly now understand the phrase "The mind is willing but the flesh is weak" in more areas of my life that I can safely discuss in this family friendly forum.

But it is what it is. None of us can go back in time, or start to grow younger. I should have taken up some new hobbies that age doesn't affect, like my wife has with her knitting and quilting. I'm considering drinking as a new hobby, but as friendly as my old friend Jack Daniels is, I know that truly it is not a good idea to get into the bottle. And at least part of me knows that relatively speaking, I have it pretty good so I should stop complaining, even to myself. And the rain today has seemed to stop, and the sun might be trying to peek through the clouds, so maybe that Goldwing needs to be fired up and that will get the adrenaline pumping for awhile. Stay safe and well, all of you.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:06 am 
Hunter

The biggest thing that is bothering me with my insurance worry's is my wife's possible outcome. My past "unconventional" life seems to have caught up with me. My wife is almost seventeen years younger than me, not in the best health and yet she well could outlive our IRA`s. Especially if the medical bills and company insurance shenanigans are all as bad as it looks.
I have only been married about 20 years out of my 78 between two marriages. That means I was single 58 of them. Besides almost living on the job my world was motorcycles, guns, gambling trips, flying, and other girl friends.
I have never "stiffed" a creditor in my life. Yet these still unknown medical bills look like they could be a problem. Screw it. My God will get us through it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next