RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:10 pm 
Hunter

Yes, growing old beats the alternative. I will be 70 in September, a lifetime of exercise and avoiding tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. had left me in good shape, most days I can pass for 50, feel like I'm 35-and most people who know me say I act like I'm 13.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:25 pm 
Hawkeye

Sometimes when I'm outside working on one of my tractors and getting into all kinds of weird positions and getting my hands into all kinds of small places after coming inside and start to relax, my hands will start to cramp up. Sometimes the muscles in the back of my legs also. I tried some stuff I saw on TV. It's called Theraworx. It's a spray stuff but comes out like a foam that you rub into the spot and it works.

I also get those nasty muscle pains in my right lower back, the Theraworx works very well on that too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:54 pm 
Hawkeye

There is a large list of those here that truly understand what you are going through. Let me count the malidies. Losing my hair, can't hear well even with aids, been wearing glasses since my late thirties, back messed up after a fall, left knee is 'iffy', oh and last but definitely not least my COPD. Yep, age catches up to all of us. Personally I have been rode hard and put away wet way too many times earlier in life; that may have some bearing on things.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:59 pm 
Ruger Guru

I know many of y'all here feel my "pain" so to speak. And many also have it a lot worse than I do. I just had to vent a little,, and face the fact I'm not 30 anymore.
I am doing a back exercise suggested by a chiropractor. But,, that will take time to have a lasting effect.

But hey,, I knew may of y'all understood!

I know I'm blessed & very thankful for the good things I enjoy. Still bugs me to know my body is protesting a bit.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:33 pm 
Single-Sixer

powder smoke wrote:
Getting older is better than not getting older! nuf said. ps

This. :mrgreen: I'm only 67, but some days most everything hurts or doesn't work the way it used to.......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:09 am 
Hawkeye

Sorry to hear that Ty! I used to use Chiropractors for back issues. I found a Sacro Wedgy, and using that has kept me out of the Chiropractors office.
https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=sacro ... 1&pmnc=480. Good luck!
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 am 
Hunter

Over the years I’ve noticed hard work keeps you young. It’s like the fountain of youth. Until it all catches up to you and you are just flat out worn out. Even without any major injuries all the little ones add up and come back to haunt you. But a shot of whiskey helps, for a while then it’s 2 shots.

Opioid abuse is a huge problem now in the construction trades. They are saying we are overdosing at 6 times the national average. Again it’s self medicating gone awry. Just trying to make it through the day. Hell even Motrin can get your liver in trouble.

That’s the part of alcolohlism that many do not understand. Self medicating is a trap. Makes you feel better in the short term. It works for a while then makes it all worse. I don’t even remember all their names but I can see them all in my mind. Old beat up broken down tradesmen I’ve worked with. Putting vodka in their coffee cup to stop their hands from shaking.

I’ve done all I can my whole life to avoid becoming one of those guys.

To any young Guys listening. The trades are a great way to earn a living. Use your brain not your back. Wear the gloves and the safety glasses and use the dust masks and the knee pads. Ask for help lifting awkward heavy things. Don’t rush anything. Take your time. Slow and steady. Going home the way you came is the number one goal.

That’s my advice to all here, If the aches and pains start to get the better of you don’t self medicate.

God help all of us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 am 
Hunter

I won’t bore you with the details, but while only a few years older things hurt more or don’t work like they used to. Joining a gym and getting regular work outs has helped me. My daughter, in her 20s, has had back problems for a while and finally found a good physical therapist that helps. She went through a few before she found him. He also gave her exercises and other thing to do that gave her relief.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am 
Hawkeye

eveled wrote:
Over the years I’ve noticed hard work keeps you young. It’s like the fountain of youth. Until it all catches up to you and you are just flat out worn out. Even without any major injuries all the little ones add up and come back to haunt you. But a shot of whiskey helps, for a while then it’s 2 shots.

Opioid abuse is a huge problem now in the construction trades. They are saying we are overdosing at 6 times the national average. Again it’s self medicating gone awry. Just trying to make it through the day. Hell even Motrin can get your liver in trouble.

That’s the part of alcolohlism that many do not understand. Self medicating is a trap. Makes you feel better in the short term. It works for a while then makes it all worse. I don’t even remember all their names but I can see them all in my mind. Old beat up broken down tradesmen I’ve worked with. Putting vodka in their coffee cup to stop their hands from shaking.

I’ve done all I can my whole life to avoid becoming one of those guys.

To any young Guys listening. The trades are a great way to earn a living. Use your brain not your back. Wear the gloves and the safety glasses and use the dust masks and the knee pads. Ask for help lifting awkward heavy things. Don’t rush anything. Take your time. Slow and steady. Going home the way you came is the number one goal.

That’s my advice to all here, If the aches and pains start to get the better of you don’t self medicate.

God help all of us.

Good advice. I have a nephew that lives next to me. He's 57 years old compared to my 72. Rather than tackle something that I could probably do but know that I shouldn't, I always call him to help me. More times than not he won't let me help him, he'll just jump in and do it. I bought a vertical tank air compressor from Lowes a few weeks back and I needed help lifting it over the height of cinder blocks that make up the foundation of my storage shed. As I was telling him how we should do it, he just grabbed it with a bear hug and did it himself.

He's a good kid and is always ready to help me when I need it. I just wish I could get him to slow down before he screws up his back. He's a good strong kid but he is 57 and he just won't listen to me. I hope he doesn't find out the hard way that he shouldn't be doing some of this stuff alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:29 am 
Hunter

You know you’re getting old when the “kid” is 57. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am 
Hawkeye

coach wrote:
You know you’re getting old when the “kid” is 57. :)

Yeah, he's always been a kid to me, but a good kid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:53 am 
Single-Sixer

Being healthy is just the slowest possible way of dying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 am 
Hunter

Today would be my dad`s 106th birthday. He died about two month`s short of his 90th in 2003. Breaking my hip has got me started thinking about our mortality this last month. We all know but dont really take it to heart or dwell on the fact of getting old and infirm until we get hit with it.
https://postimg.cc/Bj2wngQj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 pm 
Hawkeye

Funny isn't it? Only the lucky live to be old. What a prize. I'm going downhill pretty fast now at 76. Especially since I have aids. Hearing and seeing aids. I as a blond once so I've been going bald for quite a few years now. The last ten years have not been too good to me. Chronic kidney disease, diabetes, prostate cancer and a knee replacement. The worst of it is not being able to do things I used to do with ease. One other infuriating thing is that my Bullseye scores are falling like a rock. I used to be a mid 700 shooter which while not great wasn't too bad. Now I struggle to average 600. I really shouldn't complain though I've pretty well completed my bucket list.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 am 
Hunter

Sometimes when I think about growing old. I think about James Dean and Elvis Presley. In my mind they more or less started out the same.

James will always be young to us because he was taken in his prime. We got to see Elvis deteriorate over time. To be blunt would you rather go out in your prime in a spectacular car wreck, or a fat old man on your toilet? I guess we don’t really get to decide. I know I’m not old yet but can no longer die young. Lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next