RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:22 am 
Ruger Guru

Just plain sux in some respects.
As we age,, our bodies change,, and along with it,, we experience things that make us frustrated.
Our minds seem to age well, gain knowledge & experience & we feel pretty good. But the body starts to turn against us & say; "It's gonna cost ya!"
A good example,, our eyes,,, as we age,, our eyesight wanes to where our gun sights aren't quite as sharp,, or,,,,,,,,,, gasp,,,,,,,,,, we have to get glasses,, which creates new habits for us to learn.
Some folks enjoy good health,, and their changes are more subtle & slower than others. Or,, some folks get a sudden & rude awakening by a drastic diagnosis of an issue unforeseen.

I've enjoyed a pretty good life of mostly good health. As such,, I like to think by not abusing my body with tobacco, alcohol, or drugs,,,, along with a healthy diverse appetite,, I've managed pretty good. I'm not saying I don't enjoy an occasional drink with friends,, but I've never been one to abuse alcohol. But tobacco, & drugs,, heck,, I don't like taking anything chemical, designed by man. Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Tylenol, etc are even suspect to me. I like to live by the mantra; "Your body doesn't know the difference between a "good" drug,, or a "bad" drug. It only reacts to what you put into it!"
As such,,, The current attitude in this modern world to "take a pill" is not my way.

But, just like all of us,, ageing is slowly creeping into my daily life.
I didn't need glasses until I was in my late 40's. My loss of hair,, well, that was easy,, God decided my genetics long ago. I accept that. The extra pounds,, well, Since I don't have any other bad habits,, I do enjoy eating all kinds of foods & as long as my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure stay good,, I don't worry about that.

But,, I have noticed a change,, that just irritates me to no end.

I'm an active guy. I still work hard. I climb ladders, crawl into tight places, & do manual types of labor. Both on my job & for myself.

Well, lately,, my back has decided that it likes to sneak up on me & force a few days of relaxation. A few months ago,, after a pretty long day of physical work,,, for myself,, my back muscles tightened up & went to hurting to where I had to modify my actions for a few days. I was having a hard time getting up & down, or bending at the waist. My lower back muscles just didn't like it. A few days of rest, and at the HARSH insistence from Miss Penny, I actually took some Ibuprofen. All settled down & I went back to doing my normal stuff. I was careful & understand to not "over work it."
Now that sneaky muscle decided to fool me and put me down again. And,, I wasn't doing any hard work etc. I was just sitting on a bench seat at the Cancer Clinic with family,, awaiting my DIL to finish her final radiation treatment & celebrate with her & all. We had a long wait as she finished it all, & did whatever they needed her to do,, and I noticed my back started a slow & slight pain creeping into that muscle area. I got up, walked around & tried to loosen things up.
Nope,, nada,, wasn't gonna work. As the day progressed,, it got worse. By the time I got home,, I was slow walking, taking very short steps & couldn't hardly step up my few porch steps.
That was tuesday,,, and by that night,, I was miserable. I had to postpone work for a few days,, (I had 2 hard home repair jobs, on ladders etc, to do,) and took it REAL easy wednesday. And yes,, under Miss Penny's stern direction,, I had her put "K" tape on the muscles,, and took some Ibuprofen.
Well, it is much better now,, but it is still tender & such if I try to bend at the waist. I'm on the upswing again.

But,,, we had our monthly USPSA match at my range yesterday. I'm the one normally building stages & such on Fridays. I had to call in a friend to help & he was super nice in doing so. I have another gentleman who helps each month with about 2 stages,, who was also there. And,, of course,, I always shoot my matches here.
Well, yesterday,, I did not shoot the match,, as I was smart enough to know that despite my knowledge of how my back was doing,, I KNEW I'd forget to be careful when the buzzer would go off & I'd overdo it or twist wrong etc.

IT IS NOT FUN BEING AROUND A BUNCH OF SHOOTERS & NOT BE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!

Getting older sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all have a great Father's day! I'm still blessed & know it. I don't have worse issues & such,, so if I have to suffer a bit of aggravation occasionally,, I can always say; "It beats not doing it at all!"

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 am 
Hawkeye

Well, Tyrone.... welcome to the club of: "old worn out geezers"

You can now get into our private bar and grill for free...

"The Foul Wind Tavern"
(This is where the old farts hang out)

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

Last edited by blume357 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:39 am 
Single-Sixer

Been there done that and have the pains to prove it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:42 am 
Hawkeye

Know of what you speak.

I started wearing glasses at 19, because I was stupid enough to wear
some el cheapo plastic sun glasses (that were heavily distorted) all one
Summer. I also experienced macular degeneration, for a while. Found
a home remedy that cured that, then developed cataracts (surgery fixed
those).

My back has given me intermittent problems for the last ten years, until
I made it to 74. Since then it is every time I do anything of consequence.
The part that REALLY pi..(oops) severely annoys me about my back is
that for a long time I could dead-lift 250 pounds, twenty five times, in
less than two minutes. I would also bench press 250 lbs twenty five times
and the follow that up with 340 lbs. twenty times after the first one.
Not no mo. :roll:

As my doctor in CO said, getting old isn't for wimps. :wink:

:D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 am 
Hawkeye

Getting older is better than not getting older! nuf said. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:46 am 
Hunter

Five weeks ago (mothers day) I took a bad fall and got a hip replacement. It`s been hell and I am just in the last few days starting to live with it better. Still need my walker. I turned 78 years old less than two months ago and also have arthritis. Think that played into my fall. Do what you like while you still can. I lived to ride the trails with our RZR and now I cant even climb in it. Thank God my wife takes good care of me. Most of my life I was single. I would be in big trouble now if I still were.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:02 am 
Hawkeye

Ty,
Take care of that back. Wifie has had to have two back operations due to arthritis/degenerative disks.

I have been lucky in the health department so far. I'm 76 and all my parts work with no pain and I'm pretty active. I have not been sick since 1969 when I had the flue real bad. Yes I have had to ware reading glasses since my mid forties eye sight is still 20-15, but still have most of my hair which is mostly silver. I did loose sight in my right eye at around 60 due to glaucoma caused from a childhood injury when I was 7 YO.
Yes when Mom said be carful that can put your eye out I should have listened :D :D
Hang in there old man :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:12 am 
Ruger Guru

I know I'm younger than many here,, but at almost 61, (next month,) and being active,,, this back muscle crap is not funny.

And yes,, I do feel like an old phart at times too! I had a funny thought the other day as I was laying around thinking about all this. My Dad would always say; "Hard work never killed anyone." Well, maybe not,, but it sure as heck makes him hurt sometimes!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:23 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
I still remember one of my TOB's giving a little laugh and saying all the things that made a man out of him back in the day are making an old man out of him now. I don't call those guys tough old birds for nothing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 pm 
Buckeye

I am not old.
I am chronologically enhanced.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:47 pm 
Hunter

Sorry to read about your issue. Pain is not fun, & as we get older it takes more time to heal & get over it. I am a little older than you Tyrone & doing things that I used to only 10 years ago seems tough. Never used to nap it the day time but seems most days now that it helps to get through my day...Like you I try to resist the chemical when it severe pain but sometimes you just need to take something. Mostly for me it is either Tylenol or ibuprofen...

I hope you feel better soon & try to support your back with a pillow while sitting, it will help! :)

A true American, just happen to live north of the forty ninth. "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:24 pm 
Single-Sixer

Sorry to hear about your back. Although I've never had those issues I have seen how debilitating they can be. Just do what Miss Penny says and get better. I'll be 84 this Thursday and don't have any health issues, thankfully. I attribute it to good genes and the fact that like you, I have never smoked or done drugs. I lost my wife 7 years ago and don't look forward to needing care without her around. Just remember, as my FIL always said, "Don't resent growing old, many are denied the privilege." Happy Fathers Day to all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:47 pm 
Buckeye

Good luck to us all keeping the old man away!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:52 pm 
Blackhawk

Contender,
Core strengthening exercises, stretching and weight lose will all
help. Takes a while though.
The older I get the more effort it takes to keep feeling good.
Gotta do the things you always knew were good for you but never
actually had to bother with.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 pm 
Blackhawk

About 20 years ago I really hurt my back bad. To a point where I slept on the floor and had to crawl to the bathroom. Went to see a MD who referred me to a back surgeon. Back surgeon told me there was about a 50% chance surgery would help. He suggested some fairly simple stretching exercises and told me that if my back started to hurt, stop whatever I was doing, do the stretches, and rest for a while.

I took it easy long enough for my back to get well, and followed his advice from then on. It worked so well, I have never gone back to the MD with back trouble.