RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:35 pm 
Single-Sixer

I bought a 700 square foot cabin built in the 50's. I'm putting in about 300 square feet of wood floor over 1960's linoleum and an oak floor base. What's the best kind of nails for this job? I'm thinking 1-1/4" galvanized twisty nails would do the trick. Wanted to know what you thought.

Other random info:

I don't want to use a nail gun. I've done this before with hammer and a punch, slowly and carefully with good results. The type of nail is still undecided though.

The oak original oak floor is not economically restorable as the previous owner dumped a thick tar-like substance to glue it to the floor. it's there for good.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:45 pm 
Hunter

am I to assume you will use 3/4" t&g random length hardwood flooring? If so and not using any sort of nail gun I would use 6 penny finish nails and pre-drill with the proper size bit. The nails go in at about 45° and stay put. Any boards you have to surface nail can use the same nails. If you are doing another type of wood flooring i don't know because my ex-wife took my Tarot cards when she left many years ago. Good luck with your remodel job.

"There are men running the government who shouldn't be playing with matches"
Will Rogers

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Abraham Lincoln

when a cowboy is too old to set a bad example, he hands out bad advice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 pm 
Hawkeye

When I was building houses with hardwood floors, we were completely satisfied with a pneumatic nailer, using nails recommended by the flooring manufacturer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:21 pm 
Single-Sixer

Chief 101 wrote:
am I to assume you will use 3/4" t&g random length hardwood flooring? If so and not using any sort of nail gun I would use 6 penny finish nails and pre-drill with the proper size bit. The nails go in at about 45° and stay put. Any boards you have to surface nail can use the same nails. If you are doing another type of wood flooring i don't know because my ex-wife took my Tarot cards when she left many years ago. Good luck with your remodel job.

Yes. I am using 3/4" t&g hardwood flooring.

By the way, you no longer need those tarot cards as you read minds just fine!

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:24 pm 
Hawkeye

I have used ring shank nails in this application. They won’t back out typically, but the I am not a flooring expert. :wink:

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Harbor Freight has a floor nailer as well as floor nails. Not super cheap but would make the job quicker and easier with no damaged nails or boards. Probably could get it cheaper with a discount coupon too.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=floor%20nailer

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:43 am 
Single-Sixer

Thanks guys. I'll consider all options. A 6 penny nail is 2" long. I'll look at various options in that size: twist shank, ring shank and smooth. A small head (finishing nail, most likely) would be a must, since it needs to bury itself into the corners nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:03 am 
Buckeye

How about some GRK, star drive, trim head, finish/trim screws? They come with the driver. You'll still have to predrill holes in your HW flooring. I love these things.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Fastene ... /203525312

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 am 
Hawkeye

I'd use the pneumatic nailer as picture above. Years ago I put down a hardwood floor and tried to use one of the nailers you set and hit with a big hammer... could not get the hang of it an so put the floor down like you mentioned drilling pilot house and using finishing nails..... lots of time involved in that but it will work.

As a side note, there is a way to remove that black adhesive .... I've done it.... but you really don't want to know and it is probably one of the worst and most dangerous jobs in the world....

(WI-5)

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 am 
Hawkeye

Pete44ru Has the ticket right there an air powered stapler. never ever will pull up.
Many places that sells flooring will supply one to you if you purchase your materials from them. All you'll need is a compressor and fasteners. It IS the way to go!
I put in more hardwood floors than I care to remember. Use rosin paper between the sub floor and your new floor stop the squeak. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:25 am 
Hunter

I've removed some of that old linoleum black goo with acetone and a floor scraper. Then a final sand with a rental floor sander. You need lots of fresh air moving through with the acetone though. If you go your route I wonder if the twisty nails would even drive into oak? The ring shanks might be the best compromise for holding but easier to pound. I'm sure power nailers work well but A man with the patience to hand nail a floor or roof will always result in the best job in my opinion. Definitely bragging rights for sure!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:12 pm 
Single-Sixer

I'm definitely not messing with the black goop. I tried some "less than lethal" methods of removal, and it got me nowhere. Besides, I already have the wood. Got it dirt cheap from three different sources: garage sale over 10 years ago, free from my brother and a great deal from the local Restore Store. Might as well use it.

I will pick up some rosin paper as well.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:12 pm 
Hawkeye

We want pics of the cabin! A 70 year old cabin in t he woods of Michigan (I assume) sounds like Heaven!

Are you gonna cowboy up, or just lay there and bleed?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 pm 
Single-Sixer

wolfsong wrote:
We want pics of the cabin! A 70 year old cabin in t he woods of Michigan (I assume) sounds like Heaven!

Thanks. It's our dream property.

No pics on my tablet. Sorry. The place is like Heaven. My ashes will be spread under the virgin white pines some day. Wife loves it even more than I. Here's the run-down:

65 acres
700 square foot basement with a basement.
Large stream close to source
Pond
Completely wooded
1 hour 15 minutes from home
Bought it for a song
One owner (old ww2 vet).
Deer, turkey, trout, salmon
Underground fallout bunker (10x10 room). Fully intact, safe and dry.

Work to do:
Ay year's end I will probably end up putting about $2,000 to $5,000 in the cabin for various repairs, upgrades, materials and remodeling.
Lots of dead trees to cut down near cabin.
Need to instal wood floor.
Bunker entrance partially blocked by load of roofing shingles.
Pond flow dam and drain needs updating.

Work completed:
Many dead trees cut down near cabin.
Lots of trimming.
Septic tank service.
Drain pipes rooted.
Inside painted.
Cleared out original owner's possessions, furniture, lifetime accumulation of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:44 pm 
Hunter

Another comment about the black goo under the linoleum is that given its age it likely has asbestos in it. Not a problem if it’s not removed and covered up with wood flooring.