RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 am 
Blackhawk

How about the Buick Verano (four cylinder) where there is a stone (?) shield covering the oil-drain plug, eliminating the concept of a tidy oil change? I bet the Buick mechanics had a party once they learned that the model is no longer offered for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:38 am 
Single-Sixer

Any more if someone says "I am an Engineer", I ask them what kind of train they drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 pm 
Hawkeye

dg101win wrote:
Any more if someone says "I am an Engineer", I ask them what kind of train they drive.

Hi,

Now I'm having an identity crisis! I've never said I'm an engineer. But I have driven a freight train... am I missing out on some braggin' rights?

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:02 pm 
Hawkeye

Maybe so. I have done a couple of sanitation engineering jobs in the past. One of my kids plugged up the john.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:53 pm 
Hawkeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
dg101win wrote:

Hi,

Now I'm having an identity crisis! I've never said I'm an engineer. But I have driven a freight train... am I missing out on some braggin' rights?

Rick C

I drove an aircraft carrier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 pm 
Hawkeye

caryc wrote:
Rick Courtright wrote:
dg101win wrote:

Hi,

Rick C

I drove an aircraft carrier.

Me too, if hauling an OH-6A on a 40' lowboy counts.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:38 pm 
Hawkeye

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
To change the oil filter on my moorsickles the oil sump must be dropped. The spin on filter is inside.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 am 
Hunter

arfmel wrote:
I was at the nearest Ford dealership in the service department a couple weeks back and they had the cab taken off the frame of a Super Duty pickup to do some kind of work on the engine. ridiculous.

Yes, major engine work on the 6.4L diesels is a cab-off proposition. I think the newer 6.7L is better. Mines the older 6.0L.

I was going to replace a failed headlight bulb for a female co-worker a few years ago on her little Honda CR-V. Picked up a bulb (there were two types for the same model, you had to know which one you needed) and thought I'd just pop it in at lunch one day in the parking lot. Ha. It's a three-handed job for someone with hands the size of a 7 year old girl! 45 minutes, a YouTube video, and a lot of sweating and swearing later, I had it changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:41 am 
Single-Sixer

Don’t say that the old way was always better. My 49 Jeepster had the add on oil filter. Without it the manuals say to remove the pan a wipe the sludge out .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 am 
Hawkeye

6GUNSONLY wrote:
arfmel wrote:
I was at the nearest Ford dealership in the service department a couple weeks back and they had the cab taken off the frame of a Super Duty pickup to do some kind of work on the engine. ridiculous.

Yes, major engine work on the 6.4L diesels is a cab-off proposition. I think the newer 6.7L is better. Mines the older 6.0L.

I was going to replace a failed headlight bulb for a female co-worker a few years ago on her little Honda CR-V. Picked up a bulb (there were two types for the same model, you had to know which one you needed) and thought I'd just pop it in at lunch one day in the parking lot. Ha. It's a three-handed job for someone with hands the size of a 7 year old girl! 45 minutes, a YouTube video, and a lot of sweating and swearing later, I had it changed.

I still remember the many times my Dad was working on something and he said, "you've got small hands, see if you can do this for me". The good old days. It was always great to help Dad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:26 pm 
Hunter

My late wife's 98 Explorer just past the 55K mile point and methinks is needs a tune up or something. Gas mileage just took a bit of a downfall and looking under the hood it'll take an act of God to even see the plugs. Wonder what that's gonna cost me? Before my stepson passed from cancer I could go to the dealership and get stuff done with the employees discount but not no more. Tail light lens $250 plus labor. Employees price, $125 plus tax and they put it on for free.

Same thing with my 2015 F150 4x4. Sticker price was $45K plus and I got it for $30,800. Those days are gone I looked under the hood and where in hell are the spark plugs. If they're in there, they're well hidden. The good news is they'll probably outlast me.
Paul B.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:06 pm 
Buckeye

I remember one of my mechanic buddies telling me about changing the oil on a now long forgotten vehicle. He said when you removed the plug on the oil pan, the oil hit a crossmember and went everywhere. He too hoped to some day meet the guy that designed that lash-up. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 pm 
Hawkeye

I think that guy is working for BMW in Germany. I have a 650cc BMW scooter that does just about that same thing during and oil change. It's necessary to make a aluminum foil spout to keep one of the three oil drains from drooling all over the center stand pivots.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm 
Hawkeye

exavid wrote:
I think that guy is working for BMW in Germany. I have a 650cc BMW scooter that does just about that same thing during and oil change. It's necessary to make a aluminum foil spout to keep one of the three oil drains from drooling all over the center stand pivots.

Hi,

For many years I've carried the idea in my head that each new vehicle designed and built in Germany (each new model, each new year) must entail the development of at least three new tools, without which, the job can't be done by mere mortals. By law!

A buddy has had, and/or worked on, quite a variety of motorcycles since the mid-70s. Hondas to Harleys, with Nortons, Triumphs, most of the other big Japanese names and a few others I've forgotten thrown in. A few years ago he retired, then did some consulting work, which enabled him to afford a new BMW, something he'd wanted since college. He came home with an RS1200T, which I gather is the civilian version of the popular police model. It was an addition to a Kawasaki KLR 650 already in the garage, probably one of the most "bubble gum and bailing wire will keep it going" bikes out there today.

Since he'd always done all his own maintenance, he bought "the book" and set about the first of a seemingly interminable series of "simple" routine maintenance jobs. He said he found himself chanting a mantra to himself after about the first hour, of a simple oil change: "Guys, it's ONLY a motorcycle, it's ONLY a motorcycle."

Some things have gotten easier after buying a special tool. Others? Well, we've both got a drop or two of Teutonic blood in us somewhere, which is his lead in to the question, "Have I ever told you why our ancestors lost the last two big wars?" I just chalk it up to the the myth of Teutonic engineering: "If ze rest of ze vurld can do it mit 4 bolts, ve vill use 20. Und if somezing doesn't verk, it's operator error (ALWAYS!") The Japanese probably love this mentality--it oughta sell a lot of THEIR bikes. ;)

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 am 
Blackhawk

A few years ago,when I was working at a Suzuki motorcycle shop,a man came in on a new BMW,that was having final drive problems,leaking,and making a grinding noise.
The nearest dealer was still 60 miles away,and he wanted to know if we would add some gear oil so he could make it the rest of the way.I looked all over and could not find a drain,or fill plug,so we called the BMW dealer to find out.
He said there isn't one,they are filled at assembly,and you had to replace the entire unit if there was a leak or any other problem.
We loaded it on a trailer,and took it the rest of the way for him.It was fortunate for him that it was under warranty,but what happens after it expires?
BTW,the bike had a little over 1200 miles on it!