RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new computer is useless
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:49 am 
Hunter

My 10 year old winXP laptop has hadsome hardware problems, even though I have been getting around software uncompatable problems for years,

SO

I got a new laptop computer, had it for two days now and all I can do is turn it on, don't even know how to cut it off, just close the screen. the store I bought it from was suppose to install software and set it up. to add insult, the screen that comes up has my name spelled wrong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 am 
Hawkeye

Take it back. Have them explain the features to you. If it is Windows 10 look at the bottom left for a little white box. Click on it and scroll till you see "power". Should say 'restart', 'shutdown', 'restart and update'.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:08 am 
Hawkeye

Take it back? I agree!

If they represented it in one form and did not deliver as represented,
they get it back. As to the misspelling of your name, that's an easy fix,
but they should correct their errors.

While you are there, have them show you the way to do all the things
you need. Once again, since it was not delivered as represented, it is
up to them to correct their errors AND while they are in there, have them
show you what you need. :wink:

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:15 am 
Hunter

Fox Mike wrote:
Take it back. Have them explain the features to you....

That is my plan for next week. I bought it from a local computer repair company (sort of big for area and great reputation with small buisness). so part of the deal for buying through them versus direct from Dell was assistance

I just can't believe software has changed SO MUCH, that i can't navigate and figure out how. And I hate to admit it :(

the things that bother me most, when opening Word, Excel, or Outlook, It wants to connect to the "cloud"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:04 am 
Hawkeye

JFB wrote:
My 10 year old winXP laptop has hadsome hardware problems, even though I have been getting around software uncompatable problems for years,

SO

I got a new laptop computer, had it for two days now and all I can do is turn it on, don't even know how to cut it off, just close the screen. the store I bought it from was suppose to install software and set it up. to add insult, the screen that comes up has my name spelled wrong

Once the 'puter is up, there's a small square located at the extreme LH end of the toolbar that runs across the screen.

If you click on it, a large menu will popup, but ignore it (for now) and look at the smaller/black vertical menu connected to the large menu at the bottom LH corner.

In that small menu, the lowest symbol ( circle with a small vertical slash at 12:00) is the power on/off/restart control.

Just above that is a toothed gear icon, which you click on to set/arrange your settings.

In the settings search window, typing in "control panel" will allow you to perform many different changes in your computer (it's OK to look, w/o changing anything - for now....baby steps)

Along that same toolbar that runs across the bottom of your screen, displayed after powering up, is an icon that looks like a yellow manila file folder - clicking on that will open a window that allows you access to all the sections of your computer files (pictures, documents, downloads, music, videos, etc).

Don't be afraid to just play around, as it's difficult to hurt anything - unless you actually perform a deletion/removal.

The Windows 10 change is strange, appearing complicated - but with use will soon become familiar (E-Z-Peazy)

Men tracht und Gott lacht - (Man plans, God laughs)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 am 
Single-Sixer

There are a couple of free programs that you can download to make Windows 10 work a bit better and be more like Windows XP. The first on called Open Shell "formerly called Classic Shell" replaces the Start Button type menu. The 2nd one called Winareo Tweaker allows you to stop a lot of the built in Windows 10 spyware and also allows you to eliminate the lock screen and a whole host of other tweaks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:40 pm 
Blackhawk

The first thing I do for people when they get a WIN10 box is to install 'Classic Shell'...

Makes it look like every Win version from 95 to 7 (ie. Start Menu)...

http://www.classicshell.net/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:51 pm 
Hunter

Return it walk out the door and down the street to the Apple store and buy a real computer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:51 pm 
Hunter

THANKS for the tidbits. I can now turn it off! I also was able to get it to connect to wireless, surfed the net and got Outlook to retrieve emails.

Not getting guidance when I picked it up is MY fault. (complicated sad reasons) They offered to come to the home for a couple hours, but things at home were too hectic.

the tips provided have been great, any more would be appricated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:36 pm 
Hawkeye

When I first got Windoze 10 I was lost. But, rather than 'throwing in the towel' I went 'looking'. I would open one of the apps and click on each and every little dot or hashtag or arrow till I figured out what things do. Am I now an expert? Not by any stretch of the imagination, but I can now do most anything on here that I need to do. The 'type here to search' block, at the bottom left, has been used many many times.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:31 pm 
Hunter

What my problem is, is what programs can I uninstall? There is so much added right at the start when you buy it that you don't know what you can delete and not mess something else up. I would like to delete a lot of things but I can't figure out what deleting them might do to my system.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:42 pm 
Hawkeye

FWIW, I would NEVER un-install/delete ANY program that came with the machine.

I regularly open "settings" and search/go to the control panel, then click on "Programs (un-install a program)" and eyeball it for any "programs" that have an installation date after I bought it, then un-install those. (some sneaky app seem to install themselves when you use the computer for browsing/etc.)

Men tracht und Gott lacht - (Man plans, God laughs)

Last edited by pete44ru on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 pm 
Hawkeye

I recently replaced my old laptop and bought an HP for $400. Nice 17" touch screen fairly large memory, even has a disk drive which are becoming rare. I've had it for several months now and sure like it. Preloaded with Windows 10 and Edge browser. I'm using Firefox and Thunderbird for browser and email client. They are free and word very well.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 pm 
Hawkeye

RoninPA wrote:
What my problem is, is what programs can I uninstall? There is so much
added right at the start when you buy it that you don't know what you can
delete and not mess something else up. I would like to delete a lot of
things but I can't figure out what deleting them might do to my system.

Easy way (but tedious) is to NOT delete them, but rather RENAME them.
WRITE IT DOWN as you do it. That way when (not if) you "get rid" of
something that is essential, you simply name it back to to what it was.

This IS a slow process (unless you are lucky) but it keeps the system
running AND without having to hire someone else to restore your system.

I like to add an X to the start of the name. That way you can find them
easily (search for X* to get them all), and then rename them back, as
needed. :D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:24 pm 
Single-Sixer

I had Windows 10 on my new computer and hated it. It took twice as many steps, some of them with complicated steps to do the same thing I used to do with a single tap of a button on XP. I hated it when I shut off programs, only to have them running next time I turned it on. Plus Windows 10 allows Microsoft access to your computer at any time they wish. You don't own the license anymore, it is leased. Read your license agreement. Why should I pay this kind of money for a computer that I own, but don't own.
So I wiped it entirely from my hard drive and installed Linux. And I have been happy ever since. Mint cinnamon looks like windows 10, but works like windows XP. Best move I ever did.