RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 am 
Hawkeye

no5shooter,

I kind of have the same problem.... it did not seem very important to me until this past April when I had the big one and almost was not here. I see the two choices as to either start to divest or find someone who can deal with it after you are gone or incapable of maintaining them. I will say that I personally would be more comfortable selling a gun to one of the members here than locally.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am 
Hunter

kmoore wrote:
Sell them to a dealer, maybe get 80% of their value after all they are a for profit business.

No. It is the dealer who will get 80% of the value, after he offers you 20% of their value.

When my father died many years ago, I took a list of his collection to "The Gun Broker" in Gladstone.
They have another location in Tigard, maybe more by now since it's been 14 years.

The owner, Royd, offered me about 20 cents on the dollar for the collection. No joke. :shock:
I declined.

I've also been in the store when people have come in to sell just one or maybe two guns. The shop always lowballs the crap out of the gun(s), and amazingly many people take the offer. It was all I could do to restrain myself from offering more on the spot for a couple of nice pieces, but that would be bad form. Also probably get me 86d permanently. :lol:

Figure out what your gun is worth in today's market, then cut the price by 40 bucks or so for a quick sale.
Otherwise, wait until the next time it looks like a liberal Democrat is going to win the Presidency. Prices will go up. Anything will sell. Especially things that look like they might get banned. :wink:

#Iwillnotcomplyfu

They want to "have a conversation". I want to grease the guillotine.

If you don't turn in your guns, they can't make you ride in the cattle cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am 
Ruger Guru

I'm pretty lucky in that my Miss Penny enjoys guns,, and so do our boys, and most of the family. They will each get a selection. But the others,, Miss Penny knows how to get on GB and auction them. I've got a complete detailed description & info in a spreadsheet on my accumulation. That way,, she can easily give excellent details & any specific info that may help a sale. And as we've discussed,, by selling a single firearm at a time,, over time,, will allow steady "extra" income for a period that can easily help her along. And she'd get a fair, current market price for them.
While it may seem tedious, or somewhat difficult to do,, we've discussed the hows & whys etc to make it easier for her to do. I've even got a list of specific instructions laid out for her to follow in case she forgets somethings or needs help with something. Included is a list of a few folks who can help her if necessary,, including a couple of FFL dealers.
As we like to say in the BSA;

"Be Prepared."

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 am 
Buckeye

Watchman, I had good luck at the Gun Broker. They are now closed at 1 point there was 3 locations. I just went through my records I sold them 20 firearms some were better deals than others. Best was a 10-22 bought for 199 in 2005. In 2013 he gave me 199. I think worse deal was a Rem 700 LH .338 win mag. 1994 I paid 525 in 2003 he gave me 250. I know others thought he was lowball. NW armory was 50% the several times I was selling. The normal deal with many dealers who buy guns is to sell 100% or close of what they pay. Consignment was the best way to sell at gun broker. I checked the gun broker several times and my guns were on consignment at 20% over over what we settled at.
Auto dealers, pawn shops, gun shops etc seem to all want something for min and sell for max. I just traded in a excellent 2001 f350 7.3, real low miles. Street worth 15,000 maybe. Dealer and I settled for 10,000 after they came down 5,000 on new truck. I figured they would sell it for 18,000. No way they put 21,750 on the window the next weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:51 am 
Hawkeye

It takes time and effort to get any money from a collection, beit guns, stamps, hammers, or 60's Mustangs. Time is the factor on which none of us have a guarantee.
I know a little about this. All I can meaningfully add is "act today".

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 am 
Hunter

Lots of great info here from lots of good honest guys willing to help. If you are close to me, I know I will make the time to help you out. I buy and sell quite a few for friends and family. I really don't do anything that they could not do themselves, I am just a bit more "in tune" with the market. Ok---alright---I admit it, I spend way to much time on firearms forums. :wink: This allows me to keep an eye out for things friends/family are looking for or looking to sell.

My dad will be 83 this week and has a safe full. Between sons, and grandson's and granddaughters, I am pretty certain he has someones name on just about every one of them. In the past few years I have sold off a few for him. I always give friends first choice before I list something. Even if I give them a little better deal, it beats the time, expense, and hassle of shipping. Yes he has taken a beating on a few due to the soft market, but also hit a home run here and there.

Another idea is to look into passing along one or more to an organized shooting team or club. Trap shooting is currently RED HOT here locally with young folks. Currently run of the mill shotguns are really soft so instead of taking a huge loss, why not donate and take a tax break if you can. Wayno or Heliman might be able to check into the Canby gun club needs for youth shotguns.

Personally I would do what you can to sell them off right here on the forum. I know if you posted a list you would get slammed with everyone here wanting this one or that one so stick to one at a time. I would also suggest hooking up with a good local FFL that will handle the shipping and everything else needed for you. If you are in the PDX area and would like some help, don't be afraid to reach out to me via PM.

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 am 
Single-Sixer

May be a sore topic around here from some, but you could donate them to the NRA Foundation.

Donating them will get you a tax break if you donate while still alive.

The NRA Foundation will either sell/auction them off and use the proceeds to fund one of their programs such as Eddie Eagle to teach kids gun safety, or if the firearms are of good quality, place them in their museum.

No monitory gain other than the tax break.

The consignment idea at a local gun shop is a good bet if you're looking for cash.

There are guys on Gunbroker that handle cosignments, all the postings, pictures and headaches are left to them.

You just have to get the firearms to them.

I sold a lot of stuff on GB years ago, but no firearms.

I believe the consignment method would be safest way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:07 pm 
Hunter

Why not offer them up for sale here on the classifieds?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:03 pm 
Blackhawk

well the media thinks 5 is a stockpile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:22 pm 
Buckeye

I'll be 69 this year about 3-4 years ago I decided to thin the heard - a small Garand collection and misc stuff. One guy wanted to trade my XP100 for a Ruger No1. Now I have 6 of them. Then the 80% craze hit. I had a mill in the garage so I opted for a raw (except for the mag well) forging. Now I've got several of those I've build 223, 308, 458 Socom.
Now I have to start all over again. The daughter and grandson will of course get the ones they want but that leaves me about 20 to sell.
I started a spread sheet with what each one was worth and what I paid for it - in case I die before they are gone. With my selling and then buying I have more guns and nearly 4,000 profit. I also had to buy another safe because a lot of handguns I sold have been replaced with rifles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:12 pm 
Hawkeye

kmoore wrote:
If no family is wanting any firearms, in Oregon you have 2 options. Sell them to a dealer, maybe get 80% of their value after all they are a for profit business. You are paying them to sell them without the problems of face to face with a stranger or transferring them 1 at a time, still at a gun dealer. Cabelas will buy them.
No print papers I know of allow guns for sale. You could go online to Douglas Ridge Gun Club is one place and sell that way.
No matter how you sell them, to be legal seller and legal buyer it must go through a dealer. Private party sales, make the buyer pay the check and transfer fees. You will need to spend part of each day a gun sells at a dealer.
It is a silly law,but look who has been running this state for 40 years. It is going to get worse not better.

I don't know about other Oregon newspapers but the Medford, OR Tribune often has guns listed in it's classified section.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:52 am 
Buckeye

I guess I should have said in the PDX metro area. Where 2/3 of the states population lives. Nickel Ads was once a great place to find find them. I have seen dealers list their sites and gun shows. Good to know not all paper print co.s in this state are anti firearm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:48 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
When Dad retired he gifted about half his "collection" to family members he thought would appreciate them most. Since that time he has gifted a few to neighbors that he has taught the finer points of hunting to. Oddly enough he gave one to a young man who at 16 was caught trying to steal the copper wiring from one of the out-buildings on one of the "homesteads." Rather than report him he had a talk with the mother (single parent) and gave them the choice between legal action or his own version of "Manhood 101." Last I heard he was given a Marlin rifle that his mother has for safekeeping for the moment. He is due to graduate boot camp in the next few weeks.

That said I realize it's different in a metro area but could it be you could become a resource to training some child to being trustworthy enough to pass on your excess to? Maybe find a church with a healthy size CYO or the Protestant equivalent and volunteer, Or 4H, JayCees perhaps? Who knows? You may fool around and be the inspiration for the next generation of heroes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:01 pm 
Hawkeye

Basic or Boot Camp and a hitch in the military have done good things to a lot of young men. That is unless they've made it a lot different after obummer tried to make it a kindergarten. If nothing else a kid who's never been disciplined at home will learn a lot about doing what you're told. Pronto.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 pm 
Hunter

I declared a moratorium when I hit 150. No close relatives or legal heirs, I have a closet full of safe queens.