RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 am 
Buckeye

good luck. you are at the age where people are just waiting to take advantage of you and cash in on a deal that took you decades to acquire.
so, you must decide, cut your losses and sell for less than its value, break even, or wait for an honest buyer who likes the things you like.
the issue today is, not many young people like old things. so your market will tend to be older people like yourself.
not an easy problem.
im going thru this with my Winchesters, brownings, and my entire literature library.
I just went and listed some of it on gunauction.com to show it to the world.
im finding out fast, no one likes what I liked.
maybe its dumpster time because im for sure im not moving it all again. kinda sad to see 50 60 years of amr go away, along with all the promo flyers I collected since the 70's. I thought for sure someone would like that stuff, but todays world people don't read off of paper and are more interested in having apps to get donuts delivered to their door.

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 am 
Hunter

I've reduced down to a pretty small number of handguns, and a single long gun (12 gauge pump for when and if the SHTF). But when I am honest with myself, even the small number of handguns is several more than I need or regularly shoot. A few placed strategically around my home (safely), a couple that I use regularly as my concealed carry, a couple for plinking at the range is really all I need. On the other hand, the relatively low amount of money I would get by further reducing what I own is not something that I desperately need, so why bother getting rid of them? I'm just pretty resigned to the reality that when I croak, my anti-gun wife and anti-gun grown kids will likely sell them to the first gun shop that they walk into, for a fraction of what they are worth. But so what? I'll be long past caring about any of that when I am 6 feet under. I have one son who will appreciate my oldest gun, and the only one I have sentimental attachment to, a S&W nickel Model 19, 4 inch and I have asked my wife to make sure he gets that before getting rid of the rest. I like my Rugers and my Glocks, but only that one S&W brings out any emotion in me.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 am 
Hawkeye

I carried a S&W model 19 with the 6" barrel in Alaska for many years. I wish I'd kept it. I don't "need" it down here in the South 57 but I do miss it.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 am 
Buckeye

-

Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:28 pm 
Bearcat

Wow. Some good ideas here, some I had thought of and some that were new to me. Thanks to all of you for the input - and it looks for sure like I'm not alone with my "disposition" problem! One thing for sure, I'll post stuff on these classifieds before I go anywhere else. Like one of you said, I'd be more comfortable selling something on this forum than to a lot of folks we might run across in a face-to-face situation. I've bought a few from rugerforum folks so it seems fair to give this bunch of hooligans a shot at getting some of it back!