RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:46 am 
Bearcat

This is my first venture into The Lounge, so be patient, OK?

Here's my problem: I'm 75, and I've accumulated a bunch of guns over the years - notice I didn't mention a "collection," since it's more of a general accumulation. Rugers, Smiths, a couple of Colts, and several hunting rifles of various shapes and sizes. The problem part of all this is, like I said, I'm 75, and none of my family is particularly interested in owning any of this stuff when I'm done with it. What to do?

I'm wondering if anybody else has dealt with this situation, or at least thought about a plan for dealing with it. It's getting harder to just put an ad in the paper and sell a rifle or (Gawdfabid!) a pistol - especially in Oregon, since the lefties managed to pass a law about any and all transfers needing to go through a dealer so's a person doesn't sell a gun to his felonious nephew by accident - not everybody wants that hassle or extra expense, so either the law gets ignored or the gun doesn't get sold.

I'm thinking one or a few dealers might take some of this stuff off my hands, but I'm pretty sure the prices would be low-balled from the outset. I'm not looking for top dollar on everything I own, but I'd like to not get screwed either. So, what's anyone else doing, or what have you done? Thoughts?

Jerry (no5shooter), in Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am 
Hawkeye

Don't know about Oregon, but down here they often get sold at Estate Auctions, sometimes for more than you'd get from a pawn or straight sale. Some folks will also set up a Trust, which bypasses many legal issues regarding transfers, including out of State transfers. Check with a lawyer about that.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:26 am 
Hawkeye

" none of my family is particularly interested in owning any of this stuff when I'm done with it. What to do?"

Go make sure each piece you have (cannot be named in a will/trust) bears a clear tag reading "property of (insert name of a pro-2A friend) stored only by me). This assures them as "not your property" when the executor opens your safe... out of consideration for probate. And your chosen friends remember you forever.

PC = Political Submission

Last edited by mohavesam on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am 

I think our long time members WAYNO and Heliman are from your area. If I'm right, those guys may be a big help to you especially about local sales.

Local stores here will take consignment for about 10% of gross sale. Maybe your area has a place like this too. (??)

Of course you can always use the Classified section here at no charge.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:44 am 
Hunter

I am 78 and have your same problem. I used to have tables at gun shows back in the early 1980`s and did well. The best bet today is the internet, gun broker etc. My problem is I am not high tech and dont know how to post clear photo`s etc. I also only feel comfortable dealing face to face. I especially dont want to cope with a buyer complaining about the quality or whatever once I sold the gun on the net. Face to face there should be no argument. I probably wont sell any until My IRA is almost gone. My wife is incapable of dealing with my guns so if I likely croak before her, (I am seventeen years older) my daughter will inherit the problem. I know what I SHOULD do, I just cant drive myself to do it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 am 
Hawkeye

Some of us are thinking about this, and have been thinking long and hard for quite some time.

I also am in the same boat...My kids have little interest in my guns, so I am now liquidating some of my collection before the need arises.

Heliman and I have an agreement. Those guns that are not given to a family member, which is still very legal and appropriate here, will be inventoried and disposed of by whichever of us is surviving. We know how to transfer thru legal channels, and we will assist and direct the widow and family with this transfer. I know this only works for the first of us to go, but it's a start.

Remember too, in Oregon it is legal to give a firearm to a rather long list of family members, without the need of a FFL transfer. Here's a link to a site with such information, with a list of relatives that can receive your guns without a transfer.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.435

And a paraphrase of above of the family members that can receive your guns without a transfer...

The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(c) The transfer of a firearm to:

(A) A transferor’s spouse or domestic partner;

(B) A transferor’s parent or stepparent;

(C) A transferor’s child or stepchild;

(D) A transferor’s sibling;

(E) A transferor’s grandparent;

(F) A transferor’s grandchild;

(G) A transferor’s aunt or uncle;

(H) A transferor’s first cousin;

(I) A transferor’s niece or nephew; or

(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 am 
Hawkeye

I divested my self of myriad firearms over 15 years ago, to fund my early retirement @ age 62.

I gifted quite a few to family & younger friends, giving each their pick of which ones & how many - which is a non-starter for some folk's situations.

(I kept only a few for my continued use)

Later, it took me a couple of years, selling each gun in the venue where I thought I would get the widest viewing and/or a ready market for whatever.

I sold most online, in guns-only auction websites & the free classifieds of various firearms forums I frequent.

I also sold many FTF via marching a couple at a time around gun shows with a simple "for sale" flag flying from a drinking straw in the muzzle.

For a few, however, I had to bite the bullet (so to speak) and sold through a gun store consignment (paying a % to the GS owner).

Men tracht und Gott lacht - (Man plans, God laughs)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm 
Hunter

I have a neighbor that volunteered to do stuff for us like service our air cooler on the roof etc. A few months ago I gave him a handgun. Five weeks ago I fell and broke my hip and had to get a hip replacement. Coincidentally the surgeon that did it is his son in law. He also did a knee surgery for me in the past and one for my wife. While this entire event has been one of the worst events of my life I somehow think there is karma at work here.
I have a fairly large collection of good guns built up from many years. Smiths, Colts, Winchesters, Rugers and NO plastic. As I aged these last fifteen years or so my view on collecting has changed considerably.
Except for about three guns I haven't bought another gun in close to twenty five years. I have developed "the shakes" with age and no longer am a good shot. 90% of my guns I haven't fired in the 25 years. I get a charge out of reading where some guys might have a specialty collection of maybe thirty guns all of the same exact model to show every production change over it`s lifespan or whatever, leave alone the lousy paper boxes etc. What we all worked and saved for, hunted for, found bought and worshiped usually sits in a safe, never see`s the light of day and when we croak is likely sold for a small fraction of its worth to some unworthy, unappreciative, unwashed, uneducated gun type. That`s probably the reality of the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm 
Hawkeye

Classified ads in the paper, Hunting shooting clubs and friends and neighbor.
Do not know the laws where you live here Private sale no paper work perfectly legal!
It's private property YMMV. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:07 pm 
Hunter

I'm 81 Y.O. and in the same boat. Tried the gun show route but after three shows at $100 table and no sales, to hell with that. Nobody seems to want nice sporting rifles these days. Only the black rifles seem to sell. My gunsmith is close to shutting down as no one wants guns that aren't ARs or AKs these days. :(
Paul B.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:40 pm 
Buckeye

If no family is wanting any firearms, in Oregon you have 2 options. Sell them to a dealer, maybe get 80% of their value after all they are a for profit business. You are paying them to sell them without the problems of face to face with a stranger or transferring them 1 at a time, still at a gun dealer. Cabelas will buy them.
No print papers I know of allow guns for sale. You could go online to Douglas Ridge Gun Club is one place and sell that way.
No matter how you sell them, to be legal seller and legal buyer it must go through a dealer. Private party sales, make the buyer pay the check and transfer fees. You will need to spend part of each day a gun sells at a dealer.
It is a silly law,but look who has been running this state for 40 years. It is going to get worse not better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 pm 
Hawkeye

kmoore, and Wayno gave you the ins and outs of Oregon. The legal part you need to know. Now the general information.

If you don't spend time around selling guns, the truth is you have no idea where the market is. In the last two years the market has gotten very soft. If you haven't sold any guns for a while then you have no idea. Do your homework. Start looking at the classifieds here, 24hourcampfire.com, Gun broker (what guns sell for). Take a few guns into a gun shop and see what they will give you for them. My guess is it's 50% of what you thought they were worth, maybe less. Get a table at a gun show. Start going to the guns shows. There are two kinds of people there. People that sell guns and people that don't sell guns. ANYTHING sells if it's priced right. If you go to a gun show and don't sell any guns, they are priced too high. I don't care what you sell, you have to price it according to what the market says the price is.

The guns you have are the guns people our age bought back years ago. But two things happened. One is they bought the guns they wanted and the other is they already have the guns in that caliber they want. If you are going to sell them you have to price that at a level that they think if they buy them, they can make a few bucks. It's still going to be more than you can get them from a gun shop that's trying to keep up with the prices that continue to go down. Those guys, are in panic mode trying to figure out what they can buy them from you and still be able to make a profit when they are already sitting on guns that aren't selling. I can tell you, that AR's and AK's aren't selling either unless they are priced very low. There goes your theory that those are the only things selling. Forget the idea that you know what they are worth, because you know what you paid for them and they used to go up in price. NOT HAPPENING. Sell them for what you can get for them, or sell them for less, at a gun dealer. If you don't want to hassle with it, take it to a couple of gun dealers (5 or 10 guns at a time) and sell them to who ever offers you the most. Key thing is do your homework, you aren't the only one who is whinging about prices. Prices aren't going to be going up again. Just like clothes, styles change in guns and if you think guns are bad, sell your old clothes. Peoples interest in guns have changed. Why do you think manufactures are changing what they are offering. What they don't change they are trying to figure out how to lower the price. There are guns out there that are still in demand. Figure out if you have any of them and what the current price is. Most of those are "collectibles" and price is still determined by condition, condition, condition. If they aren't 95% or more, prices drop fast.
It doesn't help to wait a few more years, while prices have continued to fall, to try to sell. Truth is on many of them, you've waited too long as it is. Figure out what you want to hold onto till it's over and sell the rest.

Probably should add, that handguns sell better than rifles. Shotguns, slower yet. If you are a rifle looney (spoken in love) you will be pricing your stuff lower yet to sell them.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Last edited by Bear Paw Jack on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 pm 
Single-Sixer

You guys can decide to sell your guns or do what ever you want to, I already know what I'm going to do with mine and selling them ain't it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 pm 
Hawkeye

"Heliman and I have an agreement......" Yes, WAYNO and I do. I have gone as far as inventorying my firearms. I am working on a disposition allotment for each one. A handful are heirlooms and will go to the family. I have decided to give my 2 Sons a a choice of a handgun and a rifle. The rest will be sold and the proceeds will go to my wife or heirs.

I have a good friend who worked for Cabela's in the gun library. His main responsibility was purchasing collections. Upfront he would tell the family representative that they would see a return of about 60% of retail value on their firearms. By reputation he was VERY knowledgeable and gave fair appraisals. They would purchase the ENTIRE collection at the 60% rate.

I know of a few shops that will sell guns for about a 10% consignment fee. Most others seldom exceed 20%.

If I am asked to sell a firearm for a friend I expect nothing in return. They are made aware that I will arrange the deal, but they are responsible for the official legal transfer under the law. WAYNO and my understanding is different. For him I will follow all the way through the process in a completely legal sale. For me it is a favor that requires no compensation......

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 pm 
Hawkeye

That's because you two are genuinely nice guys. Good for you both.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell