RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Although I never meet Carl in person, I still feel like I have lost a good friend.

Maybe someone more eloquent than I can tell the story of the serial number 100 guns for the benefit of our newer members. I doubt anything like that has ever happened on any other gun forum and it shows how much we all liked Carl.

Here are some of the serial number 100 Ruger's:
https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =6&t=61227

Here some photos of Carl's Bearcats:
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Tulsa2004_3.htm

John

Last edited by SAJohn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:44 pm 
Hawkeye

I have had scant dealings with him over the years, but considerable contact in various ways. He will be missed here.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:34 pm 
Hunter

RIP Flatgate.

Good Sam Club Life Member
Christians United for Israel
Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.
'Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths.'— C. H. Spurgeon
https://youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:07 pm 
Ruger Guru

Wow. Sad news on one hand, but on the other he hadn't really had any quality of life to speak of for the last few years. Let's hope he's in a better place.

When I joined this forum, I was a newbie collector with a handful of SA Rugers and had just acquired my first .44 flattop. It had no box and I found this forum and innocently posted a want ad for old model Ruger boxes, specifically for a .44 flattop. I said if anyone had a pile collecting dust in the attic, I would pay what I thought was a good price. Carl "laughed" at me (in a friendly way) for being so naive and we started chatting. He kind of took me under his wing as an apprentice collector and we became good friends. We used to swap a dozen or so emails in any given day. Carl was in charge of snow making at Jackson Hole and he would wake up really early for work. He would be up drinking coffee in front of his Mac out in the Mountain time zone before my alarm ever went off out in Eastern time where it was 2 hours later. By the time I got up, I would generally have at least one email from Carl waiting, usually in response to something I sent the night before, plus color commentary on the local happenings in the "wilds of Wyoming". He had a Masters degree in geology with a special (and professional) interest in meteorology and the weather was one of his favorite topics (aside from Rugers, skiing, Jeeps, dogs, and whiskey).

I think the first time I met Carl in person was in Denver when I was back home visiting family and he was coming to town to go to a gun show with another Denver area collector who was also a forum member. The 3 of us got together for a few hours over breakfast and had some fun gun talk, but I had my then young son with me and we had family plans that day, so we couldn't join them at the show. I think that was 2003. Then in 2004 Carl and I shared a room in Tulsa when we both went to that show. In 2005 I drove to Denver in my then new (to me) 2004 Silverado with the "SIXGUNS" license plate and then we took the "long way" back to Vermont by way of Carl's place in Star Valley. Carl took us to Jackson Hole and showed us around, got us free passage on the gondola up the mountain, and a free ride on a bungee jumping contraption for my son who was 12 at the time. My son and I then headed up to Yellowstone, out to Cody, and across South Dakota toward home. I remember being surprised to find that that was the week of the Sturgis bike rally and there were no motel rooms open anywhere from Cody, WY to Sioux Falls, SD. There was one room in the Sixguns Motel in Cody, but because of the demand, they had jacked the rates up to something ridiculous and my license plate didn't even qualify me for a discount (I tried). Carl and I got together a few more times over the years. He came to Vermont once on a sales or repair call to a local ski area after his days at Jackson Hole when had gone to work for the outfit that made the snow guns. That was before he went to work for Freedom Arms. Last time I saw him was 2013 on another long road trip through Wyoming, this time with my fiancee. We had dinner with Carl and his wife at our hotel restaurant and then went to our room where we all had many, many drinks while Carl and I talked guns and the ladies talked and giggled like schoolgirls about who knows what on the other side of the room. He had hurt his back real bad in 2010 in kind of a freak accident getting firewood and ended up on disability, never to go back to work. The cancer and other medical problems followed. I don't think he was able to make more than a handful of posts on here after about 2014.

Carl had the usual eye for mint condition original guns that most collectors have, but he also wasn't afraid to take a solid shooter and build whatever dream gun he felt Ruger didn't, but should have offered. One of those was a 7.5" barreled flatgate Single Six. He shared his vision for it with me and said the hardest part was going to be finding a "non-INC." take-off barrel from an OM 9.5" Single Six that he could cut back to 7.5". It had to be non-INC. marked because he wanted the result to seem as period correct as it possibly could. I had a fairly good supply of parts by then due to buying up a lot of cut-frame parts guns from a guy with law enforcement contacts. Wouldn't you know it, I had a non-INC. barrel from a 9.5" Single Six! I traded it to Carl for something, I forget, and he used it to build the 7.5" flatgate that some of you may recall seeing pictures of on here or seeing in one of Carl's displays. That gun now resides in my safe and it is one of the Rugers that I am most proud to own. It doesn't really have much "collector" value, but the story and the memories are what matter and now that Carl is gone it means even more to me.

A year or two ago I talked with the new forum owner, and he mentioned how he didn't see me posting the way I used to. We both knew Carl and I told him that I just wasn't feeling it anymore, that not having Carl online here to tease and joke with just kind of broke my spirit.

Carl has been and will continue to be missed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm 
Hunter

Damn,

I'm truly sorry to hear this news.. May he rest in peace..

When I die, I want to go in my sleep like a friend's grandfather did. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car did.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 pm 
Blackhawk

RIP Flatgate. I was always intrigued by his 32 H&R handloads with H110 up to the base of the bullet (hard cast 115gr IIRC), small rifle primers and one helluva crimp. :mrgreen:

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, sadly. He was always willing to help people new to the Rugerforum and shooting, etc. I have missed his posts the last several years.

He will be missed...

32Magfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:47 pm 

RIP Carl.
He was a great mentor when I joined in 2008 and asked some typical newbie questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm 
Blackhawk

Sad to hear, but he made this forum a special place for so many of us.
RIP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
Buckeye

I only knew him from this forum, but He'd answer any questions that I had...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm 
Hunter

I have had several dealings with Mr.Laco when I first joined this forum. He was both helpful to a newbie and a perfect gentleman. RIP Flatgate.

Conservative Republican

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:31 pm 
Hawkeye

Armybrat wrote:
Sad to hear, but he made this forum a special place for so many of us.
RIP

Ditto! RIP Flatgate, and this forum is a great legacy.
gramps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:35 pm 
Ruger Guru

I, like so many here was touched by Carl's friendship. As with so many, who started out knowing him only as "Flatgate" but later on,, knowing him as Carl, and a friend,, knew my life was enriched by him.
I was fortunate to have been able to meet with him a few times,, and I cherish those memories.

I guess,,, when I started reading the replies here,,, I was taken way back in the dark ages of my being a newbie here. I recall the friendly banter between Flatgate & weaselmeatgravy,,, about the Rugermobile,, and the pictures they posted. The adventures they shared,, made me laugh out loud,,, while all alone here. I saw a deep friendship & respect among them,, as well as others.
Carl was like that.

I have tried to keep a check on Carl as best I could,, and yet,, I did not know he had been called home to the Lord.

May he rest in peace,, and in his passing,, know many, many people have lost a good friend.

I'll toast him,, and remember the good times. He sure gave us a lot of them.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 pm 
Blackhawk

RIP Flatgate.

I never had any interaction with you, but I was aware that you were the reason I and others are able to post here. To be honest, I thought you were the main admin and owner of the forum sir.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA RSO
NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
NRA Recruiter
Click here to get a discounts on membership in the NRA

USA Carry Registered Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 pm 
Ruger Guru

RIP old friend, he is in a better place. Carl and I were talking and trading Rugers back in the 80s. That was back when we wrote letters to communicate, I still have some of them. He was a good man and good friend. He will be missed.
FT44/aka Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 pm 
Single-Sixer

Not much more can be said about how he helped the Ruger shooting and collecting communities. He did answer some questions directly when I was a newb and he was always genuine, friendly and the answers were as complete as they could be.

On a humorous side, I can see him sitting around that campfire FMC mentioned and seeing who won the bet on how long it would take us to find out. We have had a few well respected and treasured members pass through the pearly gates in the past few years. Who do you think collected? :mrgreen:

Rest in peace, Carl.

Matt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next