RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping an air pistol?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:59 pm 
Hawkeye

I have an air pistol, the one that takes those co2 cartridges and I’m thinking of selling it. But it looks so much like a “real” gun, I actually feel a little nervous about shipping it. It’s got a serial number; (I’m not sure if they all do or not?)

Question: Am I allowed to just ship it through the USPS mail? Assuming it isn’t going to a state where they are prohibited of course.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:19 pm 
Hawkeye

Since black power pistols can be shipped via USPS I see no reason a CO2 pistol would be any different. I would call or visit the local PO and ask to be sure.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:29 pm 
Hawkeye

Pretty sure it is okay to mail as long as you are not sending it to someplace that it is illegal. I actually think there are some cities that they are.....

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 pm 
Hawkeye

Yes, it is confusing, I went to the USPS website, that's why I asked here. On the USPS website, they talk about if it meets the definition of a firearm etc... So yes, it is concealable, and fires a projectile and has a slide and a hammer, trigger, and firing pin (I think) etc.
Here, here is a picture.

It's got a serial number. It is the same weight and feel of a Smith and Wesson 1911 pistol, It's metal and made in Germany. That's why I'd hate to ship it and have it scanned or something. Some Postal employee who doesn't know any better might "confiscate" it (for lack of a better word.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:50 pm 
Hunter

You can ship a compound bow or crossbow or slingshot so why can’t you ship in Airgun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm 
Buckeye

There are 100's of bb guns and pellet guns , both pistol and rifle for sale on Ebay and most of them are shipped through USPS.
It is perfectly legal to ship air guns through USPS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Just because it looks & feels like a firearm, doesn't make it a firearm.

The mailing restrictions are for "firearms".

State or municipal restrictions are up for grabs - but the onus on following a state or municipal law is on the BUYER, and not on the seller.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm 
Single-Sixer

I don't know the rules for shipping them, but it seems that airguns would be shipped by airmail. Get it? "air"mail? Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 pm 
Hunter

Kevin,
You can ship an air gun by USPS. It does not meet the BATFE description of a firearm.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:13 pm 
Hawkeye

RoninPA wrote:
Kevin,
You can ship an air gun by USPS. It does not meet the BATFE description of a firearm.

Hi,

If still in doubt, have your local postal employees dust off their DMM--the Domestic Mail Manual. It's the "Big Book" of postal regs. That should ease their minds. Be sure to insure it adequately and send with a signature request (Priority price included $50 insurance for starters last I sent something that way, a few months ago.) Higher insurance and signature are extra.

Don't try to send any CO2 cartridges, though!

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

It would seem that iron is rusting through...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:34 am 
Buckeye

I bought one on Amazon a few years back, but I can't recall how it came. UPS? USPS?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 am 
Hunter

You can ship them and it's done all the time. If asked at the P.O. what you are shipping, just say "sporting equipment".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:33 am 
Hawkeye

I do not believe it is a firearm! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:33 am 
Hunter

The BATFE definition of a firearm is:

Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; or any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm.

So, since a BB or pellet gun expels it's BB or pellet by use of spring action or a gas such as CO2, it doesn't meet the definition of a firearm and can be sent through the US Mail. As the others have said, you don't have to tell them it is a BB or pellet gun and if it is boxed up they probably won't ask. Don't volunteer any information. They will only ask if there are liquids, gas or perishable items in the package. You say no. I agree with sending it Priority Mail and insure it for what it would cost to replace it. Priority Mail gets there quicker, it must have a signature to receive it and it is handled quite differently that normal packages. I have shipped guns all over the US using Priority Mail for more than 20 years and have never had one come up missing.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 am 
Hawkeye

Thanks all,

Yes Ron, I saw that definition of the BATFE’s gun definition on the USPS’s website. I read it a couple times. The way the USapS writes it, “something is mailable it’s it doesn’t meet the definition....”

I guess it’s all written by a lawyer.

Thanks for helping.