RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas Facts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Texas facts :D :D :D
Here are some little known, very interesting facts about Texas:

1. Port Arthur to El Paso: 889 miles. Port Arthur to Chicago: 770 miles.

2. Brownsville to Texline (north of Amarillo): 956 miles. Texline to Canada: 960 miles.

3. El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.

4. World's first rodeo was in Pecos, Texas, July 4, 1883.

5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water. Destroyed by Hurricane Ike - 2008!

6. The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full-time coach at Rice University in Houston, Texas.

7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.

8. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

10. The worst natural disaster in US history was in 1900, caused by a hurricane in which over 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston", but the Space Center was actually in Clear Lake City at the time.

12. The King Ranch in South Texas is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a US rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July of 1979.

14. Texas is the only state to enter the US by TREATY, (known as the Constitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union) instead of by annexation. This allows the Texas Flag to fly at the same height as the US Flag, and Texas may choose to divide into 5 states.

15. A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period in Dr Pepper.

18. Texas has had six capital cities: Washington-on-the Brazos, Harrisburg, Galveston, Velasco, West Columbia, and Austin.

19. The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the US which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington, DC (by 7 feet).

20. The San Jacinto Monument is the tallest free standing monument in the world and it is taller than the Washington Monument.

21. The name 'Texas' comes from the Hasini Indian word 'tejas' meaning "friends". Tejas is NOT Spanish for Texas.

22. The State Mascot is the Armadillo. An interesting bit of trivia about the Armadillo is they always have four babies. They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have four males

or four females.

23. The first domed stadium in the US was the Astrodome in Houston.

24. The Beck family ranch land grant is one days ride by horse (25 miles) in each direction from the headquarters.

25. The name of the XIT ranch in Dalhart, Texas stands for "ten in texas". That means 10 counties in Texas!

Post subject: Re: Texas Facts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:04 pm 
Hawkeye

God Bless Texas!

Thanks for the fun and interesting facts!

"When we, the people ordained and established the Constitution, we created the Federal Government. It is our creature. We are the creator. It is the creature. It is not our master." Publius-Huldah

"The Best Way To Protect Freedom For Ourselves Is To Protect Freedom For Everybody." -Sonny Barger

Μολὼν λάβε
Member RCA, RENE, NRA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:14 pm 
Hawkeye

First time I ever entered Texas was just west of El Paso a couple of years ago. Just after crossing into Texas on I-10 I saw a couple road signs. One said, I dunno "Joes Junction 4 miles" or some such. With it was a sign that read "Beaumont 852" or something. I had to laugh. I'm guessing the last thing someone entering Texas wanted to know was how far Beaumont was. Either you knew or didn't care. The nearest I could figure was that was a brag about just how big Texas was. Folks, I already knew how big Texas is and wasn't impressed by the reminder. I already knew how far it was to Fredericksburg from El Paso, and was just thinking I'd be spending night at Fort Stockton; I'm something of a wuss and don't usually drive more than eight hours in a day and started that day in the middle of New Mexico.

Yup, Texas is a big place; a little bigger than Montana. :)

I wouldn't mind moving to Texas, just don't know where, but certainly not one of the big cities.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:31 pm 
Ruger Guru

I spent some time in Texas in the late 1970's. Some of that stuff brought back memories.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:15 am 
Single-Sixer

Texas is where I always thought that I wanted to live.

Stan in SC

45/70 Govt.- It's almost a religion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:56 am 
Blackhawk

Been to the top of the San Jacinto monument. It is Tall!

From the top, the Battleship Texas almost look tiny and it is a big ship

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 am 
Hunter

One day I spent a week crossing Texas. :wink:

Great state!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 am 
Buckeye

I was driving in snow in Dallas last week. Now I am driving in snow back in Idaho. Both good states. Steve

I can't live in the shadows any longer.
From now on I will make the shadows.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:51 am 
Single-Sixer

Compared to Alaska Texas is a small pimple on a big butt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 am 
Hawkeye

I went into a store in the Study Butte Mall and folks were gathered around a TV with a video showing. Turned out to be a video of rain.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 am 
Hawkeye

dhstadt wrote:
Compared to Alaska Texas is a small pimple on a big butt.

But Texas has swimming pools. And the women to go with them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 am 
Hawkeye

Nita and I took a horseback tour once down near Big Bend. Our guide rode an old blue nosed mule, name Moses.

Returning to town, the guide told us "You can tell folks you were led through the desert by Moses."

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:44 am 
Shootist

I ALWAYS thought I would retire to Hereford, TX. It did not happen, my pal there, Jerry Curtis, was killed in a horse wreck, and I ended up in the Dakotas from which they'll carry me out feet first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:53 pm 
Hawkeye

Wyandot Jim wrote:
24. The Beck family ranch land grant is one days ride by horse (25 miles) in each direction from the headquarters.

Hi,

Thanks for a nice memory jog, Jim!

Dunno if he was associated w/ these guys, but I remember a fellow who was a fixture at many of the major Western trapshooting tournaments thru the '80s, a rather wealthy Texan named Don Beck. Rumor was his money came from old time oil interests. When you pulled into the parking lot and saw a beautiful Prevost coach nicknamed "Myassis Dragon" along the line, you knew Don was there.

He's gone now, but was one of the nicest guys on the planet to just sit and talk with...

Rick C

"If you bought only one (gun) through an FFL, the .gov knows you have it. And you can rest assured by my iron clad guarantee that the .gov will not come for it." --Le provocateur formerly known as CDFingers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 pm 
Hunter

Texas is a great place, my wife came from there, but we both spent most our working lives in Alaska and have to say Texas is in second place. Alaska could divide into two and make Texas the third largest state. Until they jiggled them for convenience Alaska had three time zones. Alaska has no income or sales taxes. Alaska has constitutional carry. Alaska also has abundant deer, moose, caribou, mountain sheep, wolves, bears, salmon, halibut, steelhead, grayling, etc. etc. Shooter and hunter's paradise.
Weather we won't argue about.