RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Hell and Back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:47 pm 
Hunter

Just finished watching “To Hell and Back”. Kinda like that story and the movie. My late father-in-law was in the 3rd Infantry Division during WW II. My late wife told me that there were two people her father admired; Audie Murphy and General Patton. I never met my father-in-law; he died a month before I met her in June 1972.

Most of my uncles and some of my brothers-in-law to be were in the army and served in WW II. Some walked across North Africa and Europe as well. I’m one of the youngest in my generation of the clan.

What is most remarkable about Korea, WW II, and wars before, is that Infantry soldiers wore no armor; their only armor was a helmet. In Europe and in the United States most combat was open terrain. The soldiers walked wherever they went. Sometimes went into a zone by truck and then walked.

In the Pacific during WW II fighting was mostly forest and jungle, likewise Vietnam but was for the most part carried to the operational area by helicopter, with some very heavy body armor.

Now in the mid-east, no lines of battle, heavy body armor, and an incredibly fanatic opponent.

My youngest nephew, Matthew, served in the 10th Mountain Division for two tours in Iraq. He is now out of the army; and I am very proud of him for his service. Of all of my 23 nieces and nephews Matthew is one of the three who served in the armed forces.

During my two tours in Vietnam I was assigned to U.S. Army organizations but did not serve with a line unit in the field; always pretty much in the rear with the gear.

Those folks who wear the Combat Infantry Badge have always had my utmost respect and admiration.

Post subject: Re: To Hell and Back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm 
Hawkeye

And to think the only service he was able get into was the Army. Marines and Navy didn't want him because of age and size. :( :(

By the way I saw it at the movie when it first came out for 10 Cents :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:50 pm 
Hawkeye

Wyandot Jim wrote:
And to think the only service he was able get into was the Army. Marines and Navy didn't want him because of age and size. :( :(

By the way I saw it at the movie when it first came out for 10 Cents :D

And even the Army wanted to move him to a non combatant position. Never judge based on looks...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm 
Hawkeye

It has been a few years since I saw it. He was a country boy with strong hunting and survival skills from what I remember.

In some ways,it may be harder for current troops. I know a Navy corpsman with 15-in and might not stay for 20. He was in Iraq twice and now is at Ft Sam teaching students but seems to hate it. There's Army,AF and Navy involved in the conglomeration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 am 
Hunter

I used to drink with a Marine. He was no taller than, 5'2". I made the comment once that he was the smallest Marine I ever met. He got a sparkle in his eye, and said "They learned their lesson with Audie Murphy"!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 am 
Hunter

Audie insisted on playing himself in the movie because he didn't want the role to be too overdone.. He was a very humble guy. I have To Hell and Back", and another movie... a western who's title I can not recall at the moment.. he costarred with Jimmy Stewart. Also a good flick...

Canning cranberry juice.... https://youtu.be/jDvhNc6N03U

http://homesteadingonadime.blogspot.com/ My blog.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 am 
Hawkeye

Not to put Audie Murphy down at all but after reading some first person accounts of Medal of Honor winners I realized that not only were they brave men but they also were very lucky... usually in just about all the events that lead to the account that got them their medal... a number of just as brave men died.....

I remember my father telling of after the evacuation from the Chosen Reservoir and the retreat back down to Seoul and how two men in his company waded out in the line of refugees... thousands of Korean citizens.... and killed Chinese and North Korean soldiers, trying to infiltrate, by hand.... he also told me about a guy in his company taking out a Chinese tank single handed... when asked where he was...."pinned down."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:29 am 
Hunter

reuben_j_cogburn wrote:
Audie insisted on playing himself in the movie because he didn't want the role to be too overdone.. He was a very humble guy. I have To Hell and Back", and another movie... a western who's title I can not recall at the moment.. he costarred with Jimmy Stewart. Also a good flick...

I think the movie you mean is Night Passage.... A good movie. :)

NRA Life Member since 1976
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Endowment Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 am 
Hawkeye

Here is my dad's view of WWII.
http://www.unlikelywarrior.com/aboutauthor.html
When he went to Ft Riley for boot camp, he weighed 124lbs, he carried over 60lbs of gear
He ended up a radioman in a halftrack in the 9th armored and his unit rolled into the Battle of the Bulge right as it ended and went to Ludendorf to take Remagen bridge.

Dad is 87, still going strong, amazes me every day, if you want a signed copy of his book, contact him

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Audie Murphy was a great combat soldier because he had the killer instinct. The same could be said about Chuck Yeager, Alvin York, Erich Hartmann, Thomas McGuire, Jr. and many more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm 
Blackhawk

If you haven't read the book "To Hell and Back", put it at the top of your list. Not to put down the movie, but the book is amazing. It was the first WW2 biography I read that really said it like it was, brutally honest. After reading his book, the movie didn't have anywhere near the impact.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:51 pm 
Hunter

How does the saying go-"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!" Audie Murphy had guts, that's the most important thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm 
Hunter

Daveboone wrote:
If you haven't read the book "To Hell and Back", put it at the top of your list. Not to put down the movie, but the book is amazing. It was the first WW2 biography I read that really said it like it was, brutally honest. After reading his book, the movie didn't have anywhere near the impact.

The book is in my library. It lies flat on top of other books on that shelf; that is to say I have read it more than once and is there for ready reference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:15 am 
Hawkeye

As a side note, Audiy Murphy wanted to join the L.A.P.D. after the war, but because of his combat wounds he couldn't pass the physicial test so they turned him down .
Bad move on their part he would have made one hell of a cop.
So instead he started acting and made a pile of money and I'm glad he did .
After his service to this country he deserved to come out on top .
He's one of my hero's .
He tells in his book he wasn't a hreo,just a soilder doing his job ,like every M.O.H. receipent I've ever heard speak about it ,none of them were medal hunters ,all those guys got zaped .They all say that they were just one of the guys doing their job that got noitced by the brass.
Not taking away anything from any M.O.H. recp., lots of guys in combat went above and beyone the call of duty and were never reconized for their bravrey .
To me ANYONE that served in ANY way is a hero ,from low end bottle washer on up thanks to you all .
Lou

Private Security/ Executive Protection
RETIRED!
X Volunteer firefighter/ E.M.S. Captain, Deputy Sheriff

"I won't be wronged ,I won't be insulted ,I won't be laid a hand on .These things I don't do to other men ,I require the same from them!"
A quote from "The Shootist"
words to live by

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 pm 
Newly Registered

I was a kid when that movie came out and loved it. I think I watched that movie on TV at least thirty times or more and will watch it again if I come across it. Murphy was the most decorated GI till I think Nam. It rains in my house whenever that movie comes on!