RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:57 pm 
Hunter

i just stopped in Wal Mart in Miles City MT yesterday. They had about 6 Ruger American bolt rifles in stock and the counter guy said they are still ordering in guns, ammo and reloading supplies. The Miles City Wal Mart is the only one I am personally aware of that has reloading supplies. I bought 2 boxes of 6mm Ballistic tips and 2 boxes of .357 125 gr. XTPs. The XTPs were only 15.00 a box (100) which I thought was a great price. Most ammo was sold out as were all .22 rimfire. Across town at Red Rock Sporting Goods there were literally cases of .45 ACP, A good supply of .357 mag for as low as $16 a box. and cases of .17 HMR. Also a good supply of primers and powder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:09 pm 
Bearcat

Is there any truth in the rumor that Ruger and other firearm manufacturers make special runs for Walmart and these guns may have slight cosmetic or other differences?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm 
Bearcat

Missoula, MT has reloading supplies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm 
Hunter

Walmart has in the past got special runs of Rugers. One was the stainless longer barrel 10-22 Rifle with regulat flat buttplate and no barrel band in a checkered birch stock. Another was a regular 10-22 carbine in Stainless with a green laminate stock. They were not seconds or lower quality at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am 
Hawkeye

oleballcoach wrote:
Is there any truth in the rumor that Ruger and other firearm manufacturers make special runs for Walmart and these guns may have slight cosmetic or other differences?

Absolutely not.

Distributors do order special runs with some different features. They know what sells. Lipsey's currently shows two 22" checkered 10/22 sporters, one blued one ss. The stainless ones were once all sold to WM as an exclusive.

Local WM just restocked rifle and shotgun ammo, and 22 WRFM stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 am 
Bearcat

Have both Wally 22's. The 22inch barrel K 22/22 says Ruger Rifle on the receiver and not carbine which may be a little rare. I have had other ones that stated carbine. Can someone please enlightened me. The laminated carbine was bought back in the middle 80's-stainless with green lam. stock.

SSG Ret.
TANG
66-06

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 pm 
Hunter

Andy H wrote:
oleballcoach wrote:

Completely false. I used to manage one.

Ruger will not ship a gun it knows to have defects.
However your question has a partially correct answer in that manufacturers, not just guns but sporting goods, appliances etc. do make 'special runs' of their products for the big box stores. What that means is you may buy a lawn mower that has a different engine or wheels that will allow the cost to be lower than normally seen so they can sell it showing they are cheaper. As far as guns, it may be a different grip and a different finish, a combo of parts not normally cataloged, and their large quanity buying power gets them a discount, therefor a different product at a lower price than yopu might see in a local store or as cataloged.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm 
Hunter

I have one of the 22" Stainless ones from WM, great Rifle, shoots Superb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:48 pm 
Hunter

Location: The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi River
I also have one of the WM 22" stainless 10-22s and it does indeed sa, rifle" instead of carbine on it.
Had FTE/FTF problems out of the box. Contacted Ruger and they said to return it, even sent me a new box. I instead installed a Volquartsen extractor and it absoutely devours ammo.
With a 3( X 50 scope with raised rings it looks neat and shoots like a dream.