RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm 
Hawkeye

Why did restaurants ever let people throw peanut shells on the floor or advertise it as a feature? I don't eat peanuts so I have absolutely no idea. Are they like crab legs where it's actually work to eat them and you kind of have to brush them onto the floor because there's so many of them? Do make the restaurant smell good or did some western from the 1950s popularize it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 pm 
Hawkeye

Peanut shells are somewhat like sawdust on the floor, very absorbent. Soaks up the tobacco juice on the floor.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Buckeye

I dunno! My family went to a restaurant like that when I was a kid, it was the first time my lil' sisters or I had seen it. As the waitress seated us & left a bucket of peanuts on the table, my lil' sister leaned over & asked my Dad- "Do they think we're elephants or something?" :lol:

NRA Member
VFW Member
AUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
Blackhawk

A chain nearby used to do that (Lone Star or Texas Steakhouse?) but I heard they weren't allowed to do that anymore, by order of health dept. Can't verify though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm 
Buckeye

Texas Roadhouse does that (has peanuts for you to eat). When they first opened they had real nice hardwood floors and everyone tossed the empty shells on the floor (I guess it added to the rustic demeanor of the place). Well, they found out that peanut shells and smooth hardwood floors don't mix, the floor gets VERY slippery (read dangerous and someone fell). So, you still get peanuts there but the floor is covered with a surface that is not slippery even with peanut shells tossed there. They now give you a bucket of peanuts and an empty bucket for the shells :wink: . Also, if you want, when you leave, at least at the one I go to, they will give you an small bag to load up to take some with you if you want.

NRA Endowment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm 
Hunter

Mmmmmmm.

Texas Roadhouse.

"Blinkin'! Fix your boobs. You look like a bleedin' Picasso!"-Robin Hood: Men in Tights-1993
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"-The Presidential election of 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm 
Ruger Guru

I have ate at several places that do that, but I never throw them on the floor myself. Just the way I was raised.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Alot of honky tonks used to do that, they had the bar snacks (peanuts) and it just got where it was easier to sweep the floor at closing then all the tables and bar??

Karl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm 
Bearcat

Logan’s Roadhouse is my favorite peanut shell littered restaurant. I think the salty peanuts and the causal disposal of shells help them sell beer.
I know you are supposed to order the BIG steak at these places but at Logan’s I just love the meatloaf.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm 
Buckeye

Oh my!

Must be another one of those "Southern Thangs"!? :mrgreen:

Get ya some of them goober peas! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm 
Hawkeye

737tdi wrote:
Alot of honky tonks used to do that, they had the bar snacks (peanuts) and it just got where it was easier to sweep the floor at closing then all the tables and bar??

Karl

The the only place I've seen that was in a couple of them old beer joints. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 pm 
Hunter

Used to be a place near Denver called Trail Dust Steakhouse. Same thing; peanut shells everywhere. They also had walls covered with neck ties that they cut off and pinned to the wall. It was sort of a local tradition to wear a tie in there and wait for the wait staff to ring the cowbell and come after the tie.

For a while, there were two of them. One eventually closed. The original one burned down, was rebuilt and closed its doors for good a few years ago. Peanut shells on the floor usually mean it's a fun place to eat.

"Blinkin'! Fix your boobs. You look like a bleedin' Picasso!"-Robin Hood: Men in Tights-1993
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"-The Presidential election of 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm 
Buckeye

I remember a music/disco bar here in Pittsburgh back in the late '70's that had "free" unshelled roasted peanuts for all customers and had a very copious following (yea, me too <<GGG>>). All shells were dropped onto the floor and crunched up by dancers following the very loud music.

They eventually were forced to closed because of a very large rodent infestation.

Rats!!

NMLRA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:55 pm 
Hawkeye

There is still a Traildust here in Dallas. At least I think it is still open. Was it Traildust or Old Spagetti Warehouse that would bring out loaves of sourdough bread and a brick of swiss cheese?

Karl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm 
Hunter

Was in one of those places and saw a young employee get hurt because of them. He was bussing tables and working his tail off on a busy night. He was headed back to the kitchen with a full tub, rounded a corner, slipped and wham...down he goes. Smacked his head hard on a low wall gashing his scalp. Adding insult to injury, that full tub landed on him upside down. It was not a pretty sight. He was back at work the next week...moving a bit more carefully.

Deac45