RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Future Ruger rifles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:13 pm 
Bearcat

Anyone know what Ruger has up their sleeves for a future rifle? I would love to see an M1 garand.

Post subject: Re: Future Ruger rifles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm 
Single-Sixer

I know I'm dreaming but I would love to see a lever action.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:44 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm seeing more chamberings and variations of the American. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:46 am 
Hunter

9mm Texan wrote:
I know I'm dreaming but I would love to see a lever action.

I am surprised we have not already. Winchester is not an option and recent Marlin production has been terrible. Would think Ruger would jump into the market with a SR94. They have a following already for their handguns with the Cowboy Shooters would seem like a ripe market for a companion lever action. Not to mention those wanting a traditional lever action made in the USA.

Only other thing I would like is a M14 type semiauto. Springfield could use the competition.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 am 
Hawkeye

Ruger has already done both(more or less) and they both went belly up. Remember the Ruger XGI in .308? I think that very few if any hit the commerical market---an accuracy issue was one of the problems that I heard mentioned. Ruger also made a lever action 44 mag rifle(Ruger Model 96 Lever Action .44 Magnum) for a while and sales must have not been very good. It was dropped from the line in a short period of time. They also made a lever action .22LR(Ruger 96/22 Ruger Rifle) and it has gone bye-bye as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 am 
Hunter

Fully aware of both guns. The XGI I think was a Bill decision, made too quickly. Plenty of life in the product with the right engineering. Think something went on with the XGI that really ruffled Bill's feathers and he said to hell with the project.

As for the lever guns they are great and I own several. But they never could compete against traditional lever guns just too different in looks. The 96/44 suffered from low magazine capacity and the stock did it no favors either.Also there was in house competition. Why buy a 96/22 instead of a 10/22? Basically the same gun with a lever attached to it. The 96/22 mag competed against the 10/22 mag for a short time as well. Too many strikes against these guns for them to be a success.

Now the traditional lever gun market is opened up quite a bit. A well built moderately priced american made traditional style lever gun would be a money maker. Would also be in line with Ruger's habit lately of taking a proven desirable design tweak it a bit and struggle to meet demand and make all kinds of money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:28 am 
Buckeye

Nothing wrong with my war years model '94 Winchester, later models, no thanks.

These guys would get my business if I needed another.

http://henryrepeating.com/henry-rifles.cfm

USN 1967-1971
™WildCalls2K
™Digger Wars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:03 am 
Hawkeye

mike7mm08 wrote:
A well built moderately priced american made traditional style lever gun would be a money maker. Would also be in line with Ruger's habit lately of taking a proven desirable design tweak it a bit and struggle to meet demand and make all kinds of money.

Kinda like Mossberg did? Although I haven't heard that they are cashing in on it, not even with a "tactical" version available.

The only area where I can see a demand is for straight-stock and short-barrelled models. Used Winchester and Marlin models command a premium on the used gun market.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am 
Hawkeye

I kind of wish they'd make a folding-stock/handle for the Mini-14 that's more like the 1980s version. I know a couple 3rd parties make them but I don't like the plastic front end or the grooved handles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 am 
Blackhawk

I just wish they offered the M77s with iron sights, I would love a nice M77 in 257 Roberts with iron sights....

Gun Owners Prayer: PLEASE Lord, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I said they cost.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am 
Hawkeye

Ruger and the other US manufacturers are fighting for their lives right now. Market analysts document a real possibility of a ban on semi-automatic rifles and shotguns in the next two years. We're not talking about doomsayers, these are people who report to Boards and stockholders. I expect to see production being focused on whatever is selling hotly for the next two years at least. New product introductions will probably be kept to design mods and variants.

If you voted for the HWP, you're part of the problem. The market is in defensive mode, pure and simple.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm 
Hunter

My wish would be for their 77/44 & 77/357 to have a baby!
Lets call it 77/32,....(H&R mag or 327) :D

Come on Ruger.....

A true American, just happen to live north of the forty ninth. "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:10 pm 
Buckeye

Critch wrote:
I just wish they offered the M77s with iron sights, I would love a nice M77 in 257 Roberts with iron sights....

They did. The M77ST round top (pre Mark II Series) had open sights, was drilled for scope bases and was available in 257 Roberts. Just a matter of finding one for sale.

Picture of a M77ST 270Win...

USN 1967-1971
™WildCalls2K
™Digger Wars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:29 pm 
Buckeye

Critch wrote:

Another vote here for an M77 with iron sights. How 'bout one in stainless, with laminated stock, in 35 Whelen, .338 Win. Mag., or .358 Norma Mag.? Quickly, please, before I spend the money to have my M77RS Cerakoted. :wink:

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:03 pm 
Blackhawk

this may sound odd, but maybe someone ought to pass it on to ruger. instead of gambling on people who change their minds after asking for somthing and then dont buy it.....why dont they make one gun that concensus asked for and show it at real gunshows like the shot show, or with new devices and media, take orders, and when they receive your payment, run a line of guns after the buyers pony up?
making guns and hoping for a sucess later is killing the u.s gun market.

call it the squeaky wheel theory. instead of paying designers to make flops.

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com