Ruger Service and light primer hits

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I've posted on the light primer hits before...I had four light hits out of 20 new WWB. And that's AFTER I had about 250 trouble-free WWB rounds with my new SR9c.
Showing you these again. Light primer hits...

SR9cliteprimerhits.jpg

and these are my normal good hits...

SR9cprimerhits.jpg

I just got my gun back from Service. They are good folks and I am grateful for their help. I must admit that I have been highly skeptical of the magazine disconnect and its possible interference with the travel resistance of the striker.

The folks at Service replaced my Striker Assembly, according to their workorder. Here is a pix of my new striker assembly and magazine disconnect. As you can plainly see, there is a significant amount of grease on these assemblies, dabbed on by Service. I am completely happy to leave that grease on it. I have not, with the previous 300 rounds, seen any amount of crud at all in my striker tunnel.

Strikerandmagazinedisconnect.jpg

I had previously torn this gun apart, from stem to stern, on quite a few occasions, thanks to Josh Hearne's fine pix and instructions. Here is what I was accustomed to with my original gun, with the slide removed:
1. Push down the spring-loaded Striker Blocker and...
2. Push down the spring-loaded magazine disconnect.
3. Then I could move the striker back and forth in its channel, with little or no resistance, with my finger, and see the striker point protrude from the breech-face.

Now for my gun as just received from Service...
1. Push down the spring-loaded Striker Blocker and...
2. Push down the spring-loaded magazine disconnect.
3. and...Wow...the striker snaps forward with the point protruding from the breech-face.

So, what did I see different? A much stronger striker spring. I wasn't aware that the "new gun" spring was weak until I saw the difference with the new spring, fresh from Service.

I don't know that this is (was) the cause of my light primer hits, but I do have high suspicion of the same. So, if you are having problems with light hits, check out that striker spring. Press down those buttons and see if that striker SNAPS forward or just can be moved freely back and forth with your fingers.

Good luck,
Sonnytoo

Mike J

Hunter
I'll be watching to see how it does for you Sonny- I hate to see someone have to go through a hassle with a new gun. I just hope they've got it right now.

jhearne

Buckeye
Interesting find Sonny, doesn't surprise me to see this slight revision. Not so much a stronger spring, but a tad longer. Hope this time around you get to experience a flawless gun.

Josh

ruger_fan

Bearcat
FWIW, the striker will pop forward with an audible click when both the MD and the Striker Blocker are pressed. Noticed this last week when I watched Josh's video on how to get the striker out.

My SR9c has never been in for service, I've never had light strikes (yet, and its only seen a few hundred rounds so far). My example is one of the first 350 made.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Striker guns sometimes have this trouble.
I have had it with Glocks, Smiths as well.
Probably the main reason I cannot trust them100%

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
ruger_fan":3v81bswz said:
FWIW, the striker will pop forward with an audible click when both the MD and the Striker Blocker are pressed. Noticed this last week when I watched Josh's video on how to get the striker out.

Of course, Josh is correct when he states that the new striker spring is longer rather than necessarily stronger.
And, if I had watched his videos instead of just printing out his "How to" instructions, perhaps I would have picked up on this a long time ago.

I see NO DIFFERENCE in the trigger pull.

I need to clarify something. I had said that Service put in a heavier spring. But I may have been wrong. The difference may just be that the new spring is LONGER, not stronger. The new spring puts a "positive pressure" on the striker...even when in the "rest" position.
I am hopeful that I have seen the last of light primer hits.

:) Sonnytoo

satman2300

Bearcat
I had the same light primer hits in my SR9 after 500 rounds or so, thought it was the ammo. After buying the SR9c, we took it apart to compare the striker to the larger one, at that time we found small metal shavings in the sticker shaft of the full size one. We cleaned it out with several Q-tips and it worked flawlessly the next time out.

We then took down both guns again and there were a few small flakes in both guns. Just wonder if this is what slowed down the striker the first time? Is this normal? Also with all that grease, I think it will collect grit like no tomorrow. Just keep 'em clean

kscott

Single-Sixer
Man Sonny, you have the absolute worst luck with this SR9c. I'm glad you've really given it a lot of chances because its needed it. It just kinda sucks that you have so many problems with yours, but many have been flawless. Weird... Well good luck and don't lose faith!!

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd sure get that grease off there, and wipe that mechanism with a rag or Qtip that had some Mobil One 0-30 or 0-20 synthetic oil on it. I wouldn't dribble oil on it, but just wipe the striker with a rag with oil on it.

I bet it works perfectly after that.

Are you sure that it's metal shavings and not powder residue that's gunking up the striker ?

REV

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
satman2300":2qnhtngc said:
I had the same light primer hits in my SR9
Also with all that grease, I think it will collect grit like no tomorrow.

Yes, you are correct; the grease is gone. I had cleaned out my original striker, trigger assemblies and MD when I first purchased the gun, before I ever shot it. After I had shot about 250 perfect rounds through that new gun, and THEN I got the four light hits of out 20 WWB, I took all of those assemblies completely apart and inspected everything: striker and channel, MD, trigger assemblies and trigger bar reset. (I was playing back and forth with the GHOST Ultimate unit.) I really didn't find any collected crud at all from those 250 rounds, except, of course, in the bore.
For quite a few years, I use RIG Stainless Steel Lubricant for the rails and a very light film of RemOil on the Striker and MD and other assemblies.
Sonnytoo

satman2300

Bearcat
revhigh":1r4rxyd6 said:
Are you sure that it's metal shavings and not powder residue that's gunking up the striker ?

Positive, I rubbed that Qtip between my thumb and forefinger and Ouch, one stuck right in.

Like that idea of synthetic oil, thanks.

Latest posts