New SR9c is awesome

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Hi gang,

Just picked up a black SR9c and shot it this morning. It is absolutely great. No 200 - 300 round break-in, fluff and buff, etc., etc., was needed (just like my Glocks and Sigs).

Used fmj ball ammo and Rem +P HP def ammo with no hiccups. Very accurate. I was hitting shotgun cases on the ground no matter where they were. Both the 10 round and 17 round magazines fed flawlessly. Did find that my Glock 19 magazine loader worked better than the metal Ruger one however.

Found out something about the magazine disconnect however. As soon as I bought the gun, I tried the disconnect in the parking lot of the gun shop. Seemed like the striker would fire with or without the magazine. Went back in the shop and the other SR9c did this also. The dealer thought that maybe Ruger had stopped putting the magazine disconnect on the guns since so many people do not really like them (me included-my old LEA uses Sigs which do not have them and neither do my two Glocks).

Called Ruger after 5 PM and talked to a rep who said she did not know if they had stopped making the disconnect. She would have a technician call me back.

By the time the technician called me (about 6:30 PM the same evening), I had already figured this thing out by putting a pencil in the barrel and pulling the trigger with and without the magazine. The pencil shot out of the barrel only when the mag was inserted. It appeared that there is some type of striker blocking mechanism that is pushed out of the way only when the mag. is inserted.

The technician was very friendly and agreed with my assessment on this. He did advise not to dry fire the gun without the magazine in place since this puts undue strain on the blocking mechanism.

I know you old time Ruger owners probably were familiar with this mag disconnect mechanism. However, maybe a note in the owner's manual warning about the striker seeming to fire when it actually does not, would be in order for us new Ruger owners.

Just saw a blog showing how to remove this disconnect and I may do this later.

Has anyone removed the loaded chamber indicator? This thing is real ugly and sort of takes away from the sleek lines of an otherwise very good looking pistol. I think an aftermarket plug, nicely finished would sell well. I know I would buy one.

I for one would never trust this loaded chamber indicator since it seems so loose that lint or other things could hold it open.

All in all this seems like a great gun. It may really challenge my Glock 19 or 36, or my Sig 339 carry gun for a place on my belt or glove box.

Trooper Joe

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to the SR9 club.

As you've already concluded, the Mag DC only blocks the Striker's movement when a Mag is not present. It still goes click, but no bang. Continuation to dry fire with no mag could damage the Striker and/or Mag DC, just as the Tech said, and I believe there is a warning in the Manual somewhere. If you'd like to remove it, I have a lengthy how-to in text/picture form and video form in links present in my Signature.

As for the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) removal is simple and I cover it in my last How-To video. Though, as for it being not trustworthy, it's always worked on my SR9 and it is filthy (the LCI), I've never cleaned it except maybe running my finger along the sides that pop up when they are up. It's still dirty and I put another 200 rounds through it today. The spring that pushes it back into place isn't robust but where it's located and because it's so free moving on it's pivot it doesn't need to be. Simple but sturdy design IMO.

Josh

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
jhearne":259jd3jl said:
Welcome to the SR9 club.

As you've already concluded, the Mag DC only blocks the Striker's movement when a Mag is not present. It still goes click, but no bang. Continuation to dry fire with no mag could damage the Striker and/or Mag DC, just as the Tech said, and I believe there is a warning in the Manual somewhere. If you'd like to remove it, I have a lengthy how-to in text/picture form and video form in links present in my Signature.

As for the Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) removal is simple and I cover it in my last How-To video. Though, as for it being not trustworthy, it's always worked on my SR9 and it is filthy (the LCI), I've never cleaned it except maybe running my finger along the sides that pop up when they are up. It's still dirty and I put another 200 rounds through it today. The spring that pushes it back into place isn't robust but where it's located and because it's so free moving on it's pivot it doesn't need to be. Simple but sturdy design IMO.

Josh

Thanks for the quick reply Josh--I already found your video. Great job.

I know I am going to like this SR9c.

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Congrats Trooper Joe on a fine purchase! My SR9C has already replaced my Glock 19 on my belt, but I must admit that place is split between the SR9C and my Sig 250 subcompact. They are both the exact same size and weight, but I'm leaning toward the Sig only because I prefer hammer fired, and double action. The Sig also holds 2 more rounds.

250subcompact.jpg

SR9-compact.jpg

This month's issue of Combat Handguns has the SR9C on the cover along with a feature article. That same mag has an article written by Massad Ayoob about removing safety devices from a firearm. His advice: don't do it. He notes that if you ever had to use your firearm, prosecutors will say that you had no regard for the built in safety device on your firearm and therefore exemplify negligent behavior.

pb

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
buckshotshorty said:
Congrats Trooper Joe on a fine purchase! My SR9C has already replaced my Glock 19 on my belt, but I must admit that place is split between the SR9C and my Sig 250 subcompact. They are both the exact same size and weight, but I'm leaning toward the Sig only because I prefer hammer fired, and double action. The Sig also holds 2 more rounds.

250subcompact.jpg

SR9-compact.jpg

This month's issue of Combat Handguns has the SR9C on the cover along with a feature article. That same mag has an article written by Massad Ayoob about removing safety devices from a firearm. His advice: don't do it. He notes that if you ever had to use your firearm, prosecutors will say that you had no regard for the built in safety device on your firearm and therefore exemplify negligent behavior.

Thanks for the reply,

I agree about removing any built in safety devices. It would be interesting to see if Ruger made this an option for law enforcement (ie., with or without the magazine disconnector).

Interesting about the Sig 250. I guess it would be interesting to really compare both of them side by side (would also give me an excuse to buy another Sig :) :) )

Took my Sig 239 9mm and my new SR9c to the range today. I hate to admit it, but the Ruger was more pleasant to shoot (it was again flawless).

If I can just get used to that goofy loaded chamber indicator :( .

Trooper Joe

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Trooper Joe":hiclmv6m said:
Thanks for the reply,

Interesting about the Sig 250. I guess it would be interesting to really compare both of them side by side (would also give me an excuse to buy another Sig :) :) )

Took my Sig 239 9mm and my new SR9c to the range today. I hate to admit it, but the Ruger was more pleasant to shoot (it was again flawless).

If I can just get used to that goofy loaded chamber indicator :( .

Trooper Joe

I agree about the loaded chamber indicator. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't stick up so high. Maybe there's a way to grind some of it off so it doesn't stick way up?

Side by side the Sig and the SRc feel almost the same, but the Ruger is a tad thinner, and for my grip, the Ruger feels a little better, with slightly better (for me) ergonomics. The Sig is Double Action only, so the trigger pull is long, but extremely smooth and light, which I prefer in a carry gun; being an old wheel gun guy. But, the trigger is better than any revolver I ever shot! I also like the simplicity of the Sig. No safeties or unnecessary controls.

I actually sold a Sig 239 safe queen to finance the 250.

pb

Bottom line: I love them both!

CBennett

Single-Sixer
I love mine. Its a lot better than the Glock 23 I had and traded in on the Ruger SR9c. I dont worry about the loaded chamber indicator...i mean the only time you see it is when shooting and when its out of the holster and at those times I just dont care lol..when its in its holster for CC I cant see it so no biggie.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
I agree about the loaded chamber indicator. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't stick up so high. Maybe there's a way to grind some of it off so it doesn't stick way up?

Actually that & a manual safty is why i chose the SR9C for my wife 8)

BTW- I'm a Sig fan but DAM- that is ugly next to the SR9c :lol:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Once I fix my SR9c, I'm going to really like it. But I won't carry it until it's ready.
sonnytoo

revhigh

Hawkeye
buckshotshorty":p89ign9s said:
That same mag has an article written by Massad Ayoob about removing safety devices from a firearm. His advice: don't do it. He notes that if you ever had to use your firearm, prosecutors will say that you had no regard for the built in safety device on your firearm and therefore exemplify negligent behavior.

Uh OH ......

REV

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Wolvee":p92iepmb said:
Nice Sig but No it doesn't, 17+1 :lol:

Actually, it does accept the same mags as the Compact & Full size. I think the full size holds 20 rounds, and the compact 16. But, it does not have the sleeve. Since I already have a compact, I also have three 16 round magazines.

texasgunner: BTW- I'm a Sig fan but DAM- that is ugly next to the SR9c

You are right on the money there! The SR9C definitely wins out as being best looking of the two, but for me, looks is the lowest priority.

pb

Amos Iron Wolf

Bearcat
Re: Chamber loaded indicator. I was looking at mine (SR9 and SR9C) and wondering the same thing. Couldn't you just grind the tip a little so it didn't pop up so far? I like being able to make a tactile check for a round in the chamber. But, I don't care at all for how high that one sticks up. Naturally, I'm interested to hear if anyone has touched theirs up so it sits a little lower.