Ruger SR9 Extensive Peening after 250 Rounds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gregnauman

Bearcat
Well add me to the list of those with the peening issue. Owned the gun for two years but hadnt shot it much.
Over the last few weeks I put 200 rounds through it of WWB. 50 in the first year and a half or so the rest in the last couple of weeks.

Here is a link to the large pics. Notice I had a camblock change early on.

If someone wants to post them large here feel free

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562097911DUxaTF

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Damn you were as lucky as me. I also got the rusty camblock and severe peening. My pistol went back four times to Ruger. Every single time they did not replace the camblock and peening came back. Eventually they replaced the pistol. It was a fun year and a half long process. Call Ruger and request a shipping label to return it. They will replace the barrel which may or may not help. Three barrels did not fix my problems. I would say ask for a new pistol but they will want to try and fix it first. When it comes back shoot it and see if peeing comes back. One barrel change I had peening after working the slide a about a dozen times. Good luck.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Wow. That's one messed up barrel. And to think I was getting up set with the little mark on mine. That looks like someone's been chewing on it. Got mice?

revhigh

Hawkeye
mike7mm08":1k5htil5 said:
When it comes back shoot it and see if peeing comes back.

THey're peeing now too ???? :D

Hope your gun is fixed in one try.

REV

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Mine was peened so bad in less than 150 rounds it would hold the slide back. They fixed it in 2-3 weeks and replaced the barrel and slide.

I put another 100-150 rounds through it with no issues and then traded it off---the magic (and trust)was lost and I figured I better get my money out of it before anything else happened.

Call me a P95 fan anymore---bought a P95 and am looking for another one once I get the cash up.

The P345--SR9--MkIII abominations need to be scrapped and Ruger needs to go back to making solid and simple guns.

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
rugerfreak":hxu593cd said:
The P345--SR9--MkIII abominations need to be scraped and Ruger needs to go back to making solid and simple guns.

But the are CA and MA legal. :roll:

I like the texture and feel of the P-345 over the P-97 and the light rail is a nice touch, but I do not think that these things necessitated a redo.

gregnauman

Bearcat
mike7mm08":gl5h7v4d said:
Damn you were as lucky as me. I also got the rusty camblock and severe peening. My pistol went back four times to Ruger. Every single time they did not replace the camblock and peening came back. Eventually they replaced the pistol. It was a fun year and a half long process. Call Ruger and request a shipping label to return it. They will replace the barrel which may or may not help. Three barrels did not fix my problems. I would say ask for a new pistol but they will want to try and fix it first. When it comes back shoot it and see if peeing comes back. One barrel change I had peening after working the slide a about a dozen times. Good luck.

Yea I told them about your situation on the phone. I said I am sending this gun in once and you better shoot it some rounds when fixed because it it comes back to me and I fire it and the peening or anything else happens again...... :twisted:

They said they didnt belive me so I told them to come here and look for themselves.

Blah Blah Blah...

They called me this week and i had forgot to put the mag safety back in. Now they want 33 bucks to do that. Amazing......

Oh well all i can say is it better be flawless when it gets back....

I would hate for these stories to get out to the news media...They would have a hayday

I probably wouldnt do that for obvious reasons but good grief ruger fix these things.

My wifes LCP, brand new passed the SR9 in the mail for jamming 4/6 rounds on every mag. Sent it in and got it back and now its perfect like my own personal LCP.

I just dont get the quality control there....

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Ask to talk to Susan Maxwell. Ask her about the SR9 belonging to Michael Sutheimer of Milwaukee Wisconsin. I emailed her and called her more than I do most of my relatives. With all my dealings with her and the way I was treated I am sure I am just referred to as that a@#$hole from Milwaukee.They also tried to hit me up for the mag safety replacement. Problem was it came back from Ruger the first time missing the mag release!! I got no response when I said their lawyers should be glad I did not find out the mag release was missing the hard way. I also went through hassle with my LCP. After recall work I found out that some guns were coming back from recall with the metal mag release butttons. I emailed Susan no response but the parts showed up in the box with my SR9. I was expected to completely disassemble my LCP without instruction. So it went back a second time. Just like when I called about my rusted camblock they sent me a complete trigger assembly with the camblock. Again it was assumed I was a gunsmith and did not need any instruction. I was able to figure it. But I should not be expected to do repairs myself on a new gun. You also know damn well if I broke something Ruger would be charging me to fix it as well shipping both ways. Ruger was great products which they execute poorly and have terrible customer service to back up their products. Never used to be that way. But last couple years I have not had a good customer service encounter.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
rugerfreak":1ak0pjgm said:
The P345--SR9--MkIII abominations need to be scrapped and Ruger needs to go back to making solid and simple guns.

Why do you consider the MkIII and P345 abominations? Both mine have been great, albeit the MK III is a pain in the a$$ to put together.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Mag safeties---loaded chamber indicators----key locks----all worthless and detramental to a proper functioning gun.

The barrel peening is just an added bonus.

Screw CA and MD--why should the whole rest of the country put up with the garbage that they bring down the pike?

Bring back the P97 and MkII.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm with you, Rugerfreak !!! Ruger tried to get fancy and really screwed the pooch.

REV

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
rugerfreak":35e1mtal said:
Mag safeties---loaded chamber indicators----key locks----all worthless and detramental to a proper functioning gun.

The barrel peening is just an added bonus.

Screw CA and MD--why should the whole rest of the country put up with the garbage that they bring down the pike?

Bring back the P97 and MkII.

I totally agree that the add-ons you mentioned are worthless features. I just wanted to get an understanding of what you meant by "abomination". As an after thought, I must agree that some modern firearms are abominations, and not just Ruger models either.

Fulmanate

Bearcat
I'm new here just retired been a hunter most of my life have a few firearms but always wanted more. One of the pistol I have been looking at is the SR9, now my question. What is this peening problem? Also from looking at other brand pistols the last couple of months seems to me most all have key locks, magazine disconnects, and loaded chamber indicators why is it so wrong for Ruger to design this into their firearms when other companies have these same features designed into theirs. I do like the SR9 it fits my hand and points better then most. The Glock and Springfield are too thick and both do not feel good in my hand.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I have a P95 and another one on lay-a-way---and will probably get another one after that to put away----the way Ruger is going--I can see them dropping it too.

That's how much I dispise the Nanny State edicts.

If it comes to a point where all they offer are guns with all the garbage on them---I'm done buying Ruger.

I really want to get another .22 also--I bought a pristine used MkII--but I want another to go with it---I'll probably go with Browning because it has less of the garbage on it even though I prefer Ruger----If they brought back the MkII--I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":1klafi73 said:
If they brought back the MkII--I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

No need for Ruger to bring them back. Just buy a nice used one. I kind of like having something that not everybody can just go out and buy anymore.

REV

ltbarber

Bearcat
It's a good thing that 9mm ammo is scarce as hen's teeth around here,or I would be experiencing that peening problem!! My SR9 performs flawlessly every day. I take it to bed with me every night,put it back in the pistol cabinet every morning. The safety cycles night and day,as advertised. I never have a problem with my SR9. I don't get to shoot it,either! :x

gregnauman

Bearcat
Well received the gun back from Ruger.

They replaced the barrel and shot it about 30 rounds. looks OK as of right now and I hope its fine when I get out and shoot it.

I really dont understand how just changing the barrel is going to fix it if its a timing issue.

Maybe the angle on one of the sides of the barrel that causes it to drop down before the slide comes back was off.....

We shall see.....

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Fulmanate ! Welcome to the forum.

The search function is your friend .... look for 'SR9 peening'. There's about 1000 threads for it. It almost seems like the SR9 peening problems are getting MORE prevalent ...

Regarding fit and pointing ... try a CZ75B.

REV