Handgun loads with W540/WST??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I have an old can of W540 and a WST that I used to use for shotgun shells. Can these powders be used for 44/41/45 loads? If so, does anyone care to share recipes?

ETA: ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! :D

sixshot

Buckeye
I shoot a lot of WST, it was my main powder in my 40 S&W revolver when I was competing, I also use it a great deal in my 41,44 & 45 caliber guns with light loads. Its very similiar to W231 in burning rate.
One of my favorites is 5.5 grs of WST or 231 in my Lipsey's 44 special using a 250 gr Keith.

Dick

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Thanks Dick - I will give that a try. I also searched around and found that WST does seem to be popular with the comp guys and saw a couple more loads that I want to try.

I also read that W540 is basically the same as HS-6. I would like conformation of that before I fully trust that. If true, there is plenty of load data to play with.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I use starting HS6 data for ww540 and then work up my load, just like usual. Got lots of 540 to use and it had yielded good loads so far in 357, 44 & 45. WST goes fast in my place, use it for SASS loads in 45 Colt and other cartridges, 32/20, 38 Spl, 44 Spl. Similar to 231 but has more bulk.

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
W-540 WAS the same as HS-6, when both were offered for sale.

W-571 WAS the same as HS-7, when both were offered for sale.

How long at it been since Winchester sold either?

W-540 start loads would be a good place to start.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RedFalconBill":1ruxi5t7 said:
W-540 WAS the same as HS-6, when both were offered for sale.

W-571 WAS the same as HS-7, when both were offered for sale.

Hi,

I'd be hesitant to make that statement myself.

I still have a fair amount of Win 540 which gets loaded in 9mm and .38 Spl.

When both flavors of both brands of powders WERE offered, the data for the calibers I load differed slightly and I never saw a "they're the same" statement from either mfr.

AFTER Winchester discontinued them, Hodgdon's DID put a statement on their website that HS-6 is identical to the DISCONTINUED Win 540, and a similar statement indicating HS-7 being identical to the DISCONTINUED Win 571.

I emphasize that because, as we've seen w/ the two 4227's, it's not impossible that Hodgdon's put one powder in a jug w/ the other label. So when you buy HS-6 today, it may BE the old 540 and the old HS-6 went away. I dunno.

Since I'm not a chemist, ballistician, or other professional capable of judging otherwise, I continue to use data published for the label on the jug, and appropriate to the mfr. So, for example, if I'm using IMR xxxx made by DuPont (old stuff!) I don't use data for IMR xxxx made later by IMR Corp or even later data appropriate to whomever is now supplying the brand for Hodgdon's.

Erring on the side of caution's admittedly not particularly exciting, but it's hurt me far less than going the other way... ;)

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RedFalconBill":3s2l09xv said:
Rick,

Do what you think is prudent.

Hi,

I DO!

And my definition of the term prudence leads me to refrain from making statements such as "Powder A is identical to Powder B" when I have evidence--or even a reasonable suspicion--they're not... ;)

Personal testing of certain Hodgdon's products and advice leads me to practice greater caution w/ their products than some others I've used for years.

My experience or practice may or may not be shared by others. "In MY gun" is a statement I try to remember at all times when sharing advice.

Rick C