ELK & THE 41 BISLEY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I recently mentioned that I had invited some Ruger forum buddies to harvest an elk here in Idaho, I also explained that it was a cull hunt, this would be high fence, not on public land. At first it was just going to be a shoot in the field thing because they were removing 35 head of cows to the slaughter house where they would be shot. I talked him into releasing them on the mountain. He was somewhat nervous about some guys with sixguns taking something as large as an elk. The mountain is about 2 miles around the base & has lots of pine pockets, quakies, sagebrush springs & cedar trees.
There were several large bulls on the mountain & it made it much more of a challenge to stalk the cows. Just before dark on the first day I heard a shot & started working my way up a logging road, after several minutes I spotted some cows (6) working there way below me in the quakies. I eased down through the trees stepping over a lot of blow down. My knees aren't the best anymore & stepping downhill can be a little tricky. The cows were 200 yds off & I closed the gap a little, set down & drew the Ruger Bisley 41 magnum, now my load is a monster, everyone knows you have to shoot 350 gr slugs at 1400 fps to kill a bull grasshopper, I knew I was under gunned! :cry: The load consisted of a 250 gr LBT WFN & 9.2 grs of Unique, this loads screams out at about 1100 fps, maybe less.
As the lead cow brought them along I waited until she was directly broadside, stopped them with a cow call & lined up on the front shoulders, at the shot she dropped straight down, she never took a single step, her head came up as I approached & I gave her a finishing shot in the head & it was over.
My shot had taken out both shoulders & exited, I'm sure I should have used more gun & a lot more power but I got lucky & didn't end up with a mess on my hands. :wink: The distance, ranged after the shot was 74 yds, slightly downhill & perfectly broadside.
My cast slug is made up of 5 parts lead & 2 parts linotype, I haven't hardness tested this slug but this cow on the hoof was close to 700 lbs & my feeble load passed through both shoulders, I probaly didn't need any more.
If you take 3 guns, a 223, a 270 & a 300 Ultra Mag, with all 3 capeable of shooting 1" groups at 100 yds & then had 10 different shooters fire all 3 guns which gun would they shoot best? You have to shoot a gun & load that you are comfortable with, yes it has to be capeable of doing the job but accuracy is pretty important. :D
I'll let the others tell their own stories but I'll say this, I had a wonderful time hosting Zeus, Contender, Sam & Jeff, they were a lot of fun & I'd do it again with these forum members.

My cow with the 41 Bisley & Barranti's great shoulder rig, the Northwest Hunter.

100_2227.jpg

An old fatboy with his 27th elk, I'll put an asterik beside this one because it wasn't on public land but still a decent challenge with a sixgun, I was happy.

100_2228.jpg

Very good damage to both lungs.

100_2230.jpg

A very special gun & my ever present walking stick.

100_2233.jpg

The exit hole on the offside shoulder, you could eat the bullet hole.

100_2238.jpg

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Great job, Dick! Wish I could have been there. I look forward to more pics and stories from the other fellas.

Fowler

Single-Sixer
Dick that is one big cow! Dang! And shame on you, you know a 41 can not kill coyotes much less elk! When will you learn...

I spoke with Zeus this evening and I sort of wish I had gone on that trip of his, seemed like a real dream trip...

I talked to Zeus yesterday about 30 minutes after he got his and it sounded more like a marathon for Glenn. He was still breathing heavy but I don't know if it was from running through the aspens or excitement over the big cow he took. Like I told him, this isn't Kansas and these babies aren't whitetail Toto! :lol:

callshot

Blackhawk
Sorry that I wasn't able to get out with you fellers. When you hung that cow in my building the main stringer that holds the roof up straight sagged and snapped into. I had to hold it up with one hand and fix the roof beams with the other hand. It is a good thing that I am a handy person at times like these. I am waiting for the other stories to be posted, then I'll compare and let you know which one I liked the best. It is good that you all got them when you did. as the weather is cold and nasty now. Go ahead and put your feet up and have another lemonade. Steve

Zeus

Blackhawk
Fowler is right, it was definitely a dream trip. Spending time with Sixshot and Mrs. Sixshot was an incredible experience!! Elmer Keith museum, some of the best food you can possibly imagine from Mrs. Sixshot, good stories, and even slipped in some elk. Even got to meet and spend some good time with Callshot, what a great guy!! I sure hated to fire up the truck today and head out but the weather was looking pretty rough :)

The meathammer struck early in the expedition. He wastes NO time :) I think maybe if you had used a lot more powder, lead, and diameter, she would have fallen quicker. I'll have to hold off on my story until I much more time as I will have to go back and retrace my steps to make sure that I account for all the shots :) Great pictures Sixshot!!

mt

Single-Sixer
Very nice.

That photo of the exit hole tells the tale...no wasted meat. When a man puts meat in the freezer on a regular basis, his choice of firearm and ammunition must be working.

Thanks for the write up Dick, you know we've all been waiting for it!

mt

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
sixshot - congratulations on a great look cow! thanks for sharing your pictures and tales from this season's hunts.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Well, that should put to be the question on if the 41 is adequate for deer :wink: I am not qualified to say this, so take it for what it is worth (nothing) but I would have assumed the 41 would have been a bit too light for elk. Obviously skilled shooter, excellent shot, and good bullet helped but certainly performed very well.

sixshot

Buckeye
quarterbore, lots of people think the 41 is too light for any big game, the main reason they think that is because they've never used it. The comparison is always being made about it and the 44 or maybe to the 45. There's no need to compare it to anything, its great just as it is, I've taken many animals with the 41, mostly using the 230 gr Keith. My friend Callshot took his bullmoose with the same setup, one shot facing us at 68 yds, the cast slug penetrated about 5 feet, the moose was dead in 10 seconds & didn't move 10 feet.
The only thing wrong with the 41 is people won't give it a chance, they have to go even bigger because of all the print about the big guns. Believe me, if I thought I needed more gun I would have written it off a long time ago, the truth is, its never failed & I've been taking elk with it since the mid 70's.
You're correct about the argument being put to rest.......maybe!! :cry: Use the 41 with great confidence, its a proven winner.

Dick

flatgate

Hawkeye
Good stuff, as usual, sixshot!

Yeah, that puny 0.41" cartridge just can't possibly be even close to that huge, firebreathing monster sized 0.430" now, can it?

:D

flatgate

Arnold Stuart

Bearcat
Dick: As always a great story and great shooting, can't wait to read the others experience. I had a redhawk in 41 cal years ago and Ruby (wife) would not shoot nothing else, she was accurate too, reading your stories makes me want to buy another one, only this time in a blackhawk.
Don't forget, next time your down to Cedar give us a call, we also love Mexican food.

Arnold

contender

Ruger Guru
We had no doubt as to the effectiviness of that 41 mag. Sam started the action with his Ruger No 1 in 30-06, (he's not a handgun hunter,,, yet,,,,!) But he thought he missed. Unfortunately, he did hit her, and the shot was a few inches off, and she slipped away, no blood trail, and Sam thought he missed. We found his cow the next morning.
Dick's cow was the first elk ever taken on Thunder Mtn Elk ranch with a handgun, followed by mine the next morning. Just a short 30-45 minutes later, Jeff hammered his cow after me. I used my Contender in 7X30 Waters, while Jeff used his Ruger Hunter in 45 Colt.
I'll add a bit more tomorrow after I get home from a NRA State Grant Committee. I've spent all day cutting & packaging elk. :D

sixshot, If you ever ever need a second career writing short stories would be it. Great story pics and hunting trip. Keep em comin.lol

Contender congrats on your cow elk. 7-30 waters is a fine caliber although may be a bit lite for elk good shot placement is a must. Nice shootin and enjoy your fresh meat. ps

sixshot

Buckeye
I know Contender will respond later when he gets caught up but believe me he's a bad boy with that 7/30 handgun & its easily enough for elk. Bullet selection is important & then shot placement is next, he's got both down real good. Just don't let him tell you a fixed sighted Ruger is accurate!! :wink:
I have to take some of the blame for Sam losing his elk, I should have spent more time looking, he told me he had shot high & all the elk walked off but instead he had made a good shot on her, she didn't travel very far, I searched in the direction they had traveled but should have widened my search, he actaully hit her good.

Dick