SR9 Barrel Tab Peening, Pic added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
We saw a few posts regarding this a week or so ago. I haven't been to the range in a long time and won't be able to for a little while now. I was digging into the gun for a question I was emailed about and while disassembling I noticed some shiny spots on my Barrel Tabs. The two Lugs sticking out the back of the chamber that help align the barrel with the slide.

I have pics but haven't uploaded them and won't be able to until after 330pm. I checked the tolerance of the tabs vs the slots in the slide and there's about .003" tolerance in my case. This was measured at the base of the tabs, outside to outside, the slots are squared up so the point I measured is of little concern. The tabs have a pretty severe chamfer on the leading edges where they slide back into place. Also when the gun's slide is locked back there's quite a bit of slack in the barrel once it's out of 'lock up'.

My theory is that the play is so bad, the tight tolerance required to properly 'align' the barrel and slide with the tab design, the severe chamfers hit on either side. One side's machined with a different profile than the other and I am only writing from memory from about Monday afternoon. The thing is, I measured that .003" at the base of the tabs, the tips of the tabs have considerably more room for the play, but is the play out of lockup more than the tolerance allowed at the tips?? I can explain this better if anyone needs me to.

My peening is noticeable visually but it doesn't effect anything yet, will have to go shoot it and see what's up, maybe I can grab my grandfather's camera, it has a high speed setting and I could set it up to capture what goes on with the SR9 during a few cycles....he likes guns so I think he wouldn't mind ;), he'd probably operate the camera :lol:.

Anyone else having issues with their tabs, I know I'm not the only one.

Josh

Pic: Sorry, don't have the other side in pics yet and have only a few minutes atm to get this one online and in here, but the right side is worse than the left I think.
DSCN0694.jpg

Ski

Bearcat
Brite spot on the tab on the right (looking top down muzzel pointing forward). No deforming of metal at that point yet. There is, as you mentioned, some side to side play in the barrel just prior to the slide reaching lockup. About a 1000 rounds through the gun.

Rhino

Bearcat
SR9_002.JPG

Its not the best picture but its as good as I can get with my camera.
Hopefully you can see the slight indentation on the right ear, the left ear remains unaffected.
Also there is a slight ridge that has formed on the top of the ear which is probably smaller than a human hair.

This became present after the first 250 rds I put through the gun, since that time I have put another 800 rds through it and it has not gotten any worse.

Unfortunatley the gun is going back to Ruger, not for this problem but the fact the slide likes to slam into full battery when I put the magazine in. :shock:

Other than that the gun has performed like a champ and is a total tac driver.

Regards.

Landshark

Bearcat
Mine has a small bright spot on the the left barrel ear and a small ridge there as well. The ridge is about the size of a human hair like the above poster's barrel.

My SR will cycle FMJ's fine and I am going to try some Rem Golden Sabre JHPs later today.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Having the slide drop spontaneously when a magazine is inserted is common if the magazine is slammed home so if that's what you are doing, the gun is pretty much normal. If the slide drops when the magazine is inserted easily, that's abnormal. My M&P9 and CZ85 will drop the slide if I ram the mag in but not if I'm a bit less energetic about it.

Rhino

Bearcat
22/45 Fan":2bxvcgyq said:
Having the slide drop spontaneously when a magazine is inserted is common if the magazine is slammed home so if that's what you are doing, the gun is pretty much normal. If the slide drops when the magazine is inserted easily, that's abnormal. My M&P9 and CZ85 will drop the slide if I ram the mag in but not if I'm a bit less energetic about it.

Thats exactly what happens 22/45 if i put the mag in with some force it gose to full battery but if im gentle it stays open.

I did contact ruger and explain it to them and they asked me to send it in?
If this is common i really dont want to send the gun in as its my carry weapon for my job (Armed security) and at this time i dont have a back up.

graygun

Hunter
The tabs on my barrel look ok but looking at Rhino's photo...at a rt angle down from the middle of the 9 in '9mm x 19'... following down to the lower edge of the block see how it looks a little lighter in color.

Mine has that...a slight deformation...inverting the barrel reveals two small arc-shaped indentations. These marks are maybe 1/8" long and a few thousandths of an inch deep.

GaryT

Bearcat
The slide going into battery is a normal occurrence if a mag is inserted with some force. It happens to my SR9 and my M&P. It's also happened with a few Sigs and Glocks I used to have. It's never been a concern.

jhearne

Buckeye
Pic added, yes some SR9s can return to battery if a magazine is slammed home....though the force isn't necessary when the slide's locked back, less the ego needs a good showing :p.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Jumping Frog":1fzcqemz said:
Looks like my gun wasn't the only one.

Lol yeah, just assumed mine was ok without checking, 95% of my posts are from work. No SR9 on hand to check against. Can't monitor it until I can find some range time.

Josh