LCR Troubles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NMCB3

Bearcat
I recently bought a LCR for my wife and myself, at the range we put about 250 rounds through each gun. They functioned flawlessly and were very accurate. Although I`ve been carrying a SP 101 for a decade I figured I would switch to the LCR as my daily carry gun, the lighter weight plus the similar accuracy and recoil of the SP 101 cinched it for me....until I got home and started cleaning it that is. There was what appeared to be some sort of powder residue caked on the side of the cylinder over each hole right at the front of the cylinder. Upon closer inspection this "powder" turned out to be molten aluminum caked on the cylinder where the hot gasses were blowing a hole through the aluminum frame right above the barrel at the barrel/cylinder gap. S&W uses a shield in this area to prevent this from happening, Ruger alas does not. The frame has a good sized hole in it about the diameter of a six penny nail. The blow back actually damaged at least the finish on the cylinder above some of the holes, and actually ate into the metal on others (sorry no pics) So, I`ll be sending it back to Ruger tomorrow for repair. My wifes gun has no such issues. Something must be out of spec on my gun, I`m kind of bummed because I really like the gun, hopefully its just a fluke with mine. Anyway back to the SP 101 for awhile....nothing wrong with that is there :wink: I`ll take the opportunity to send back my SP101 22LR while I`m at it, the chambers are really rough making extraction very difficult. It almost looks as if they were drilled out in someones garage with a 18v cordless drill. Anyway I know Ruger will make it right. Does anyone know what the turnaround time is these days? cheers. :D [/b]

Depends on the work load obviously. Probably has a bearing as to what needs to be done. Regardless, I'd think Ruger's service dept would know a date better than us here. Give 'em a call.

NMCB3

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":1ivh8yyz said:
Depends on the work load obviously. Probably has a bearing as to what needs to be done. Regardless, I'd think Ruger's service dept would know a date better than us here. Give 'em a call.
They`re closed on Sunday, but I`ll call tomorrow. Just figured someone on here has dealt with them recently.

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about this. I hope Ruger isn't going to be recalling this one too. I really love the Rugers I own, and would like to get the LCR eventually. Keep us posted if you would.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
That would be a shame if Ruger's got issues with the LCR after some of the recent problems on other new models.

Hopefully it was just something on yours that was out of spec and causing more gases than usual to escape in that area. Ruger will fix it, but it's always a huge frustration, plus it takes a while for your confidence to be restored when it returns from repair.

NMCB3

Bearcat
mustang99":1ot8v238 said:
Shooting factory or handloads?
Factory, 150 rounds standard velocity and 100 +P but I dont see how it would matter in this case. I`ve been hand loading for over 20 years and the gasses never blew out the frame because of it...especially in 250 rounds. 20,000...maybe

pvq

Bearcat
Just bumping this thread to see if you have had any feedback from Ruger on what the issue is with your LCR? I sure wish you were able to post some photos. I am a huge LCR fan as I think it is the best shooting, and most comfortable snubbie I have ever owned. As I write this I am awaiting the arrival of a second one at my local dealer, who said he will give me an even trade on a lightly used S&W 340. I would like to see what, if any issues may exist before I get my next one.

As for the first...I've only put about 50 rounds through it so far but its fine.

NMCB3

Bearcat
Well I just got off the phone with the service department and they are going to replace the whole gun. I figured they would because with the frame and cylinder both being damaged the gun is pretty much totaled. The woman I talked to didn't know exactly what caused the problem, maybe if I have time I will call back and try to talk to someone who has the scoop on the exact cause, then I`ll fill everyone in.

On my 22 cal SP 101 they`re going to replace the cylinder. They said turnaround on repairs are running 4 to 6 weeks for the SP, but I`ll get my new LCR before that. All in all very good service from Ruger I think, and they definitely stand behind their products. cheers :D

DGW1949

Hunter
Interesting thread.
250 rounds ya say?
And the gun is damaged beyound repair.
Wow.
I've hosted training-sessions that involved more shooting than that.
I'm glad to hear that Ruger is replacing it for you.
It'll be interesting to see how well the new one holds up.
On the other hand....being's how it will be a NIB gun, might be the perfect time to resell it.

May the Force be with you.

DGW

jamstutz

Bearcat
I have more than twice that through my LCR with no gas cutting at all.

Sometimes things just happen, even with high end guns--the difference lies with how good of customer service a company has.. Years ago I worked at a gun shop where we had three NIB Colt Pythons come in that if you opened the cylinder and pushed the ejection rod, the cylinder would fall off. The first one cracked the display case. Colt replaced all three and I never saw the same problem again. (Colt did NOT replace the display case glass...)

pvq

Bearcat
Another bump....any more info on the gas cutting that was experienced here?

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I have had excellent experience with Rugers service. My Red Label came back repaired properly and the way it should have been in the beginning. I just wish we didn't need to use the service. The gun should be right from the box! I know you can get a good one and you can get a bad one. My single six is incredible and works perfect but my Red Label was a problem from the get go. Its perfect now that they worked on it 8)

NMCB3

Bearcat
pvq":2yrr3aq2 said:
Another bump....any more info on the gas cutting that was experienced here?
I haven't heard anything more about it. I just received the letter from Ruger saying they will replace the gun. I signed it and sent it back last week....now I wait. :wink:

cas6969

Buckeye
Could be a heat treating step got missed on a batch of frames.
I saw that happen a couple times when I worked with aluminum fabrication.