Ruger Stnlss BlackHwk, Talon model 3" gr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike Sr.

Single-Sixer
Nebr GOV Motto: It's your money and WE WANT IT NO
A lot of rifleman buy handguns to match a rifle caliber me thinks the Talon model has a concern/issue: pixs up !

I was overjoyed when I got my Talo, 3" stianless Super Blackhaw...so happy to get it....and I sold off my 4n3/4 ", stainless 44 mag on Saturday, to pay for another one I committed to buying...this may have been a big freaking mistake...............................

Today I fired 6 rounds thru it. Hit everything I aimed at distance: 15 to 35 feet. Reloads: 200 grain cast bullet, flat top round nose at approx 1,000fps. Abslolutely love the over all design, ESPECIALLY THE COMPACT PORTABILTY OF THIS RUGER.

Problem: THE EJECTOR ROD IS TOO G.............D................SHORT. IT PUSHES THE CASE INTO THE RELOADING CRADLE BUT NOT PAST IT....you can barely get a grip of the spent case to pull it out and even with the barrel straight up ya still have to finagle the case past the reloading gate to get it out...In the cold if you wear cotton glove forget extracting the case by pulling it out...

Suppose I want to try a hotter load and the case expands a bit, but the primer pocket does not show a pressure sign and the case sticks a bit...ya think it will fall out when barrel is pointed to the sky....that's when this will be a real P I T A ....

Carry some needle nose pliers ..........................

What I should have done with my 4n3/4" model was have it cut to 3.5 " and used the ejector rod set-up to completely clear the case from the cylinder or at least get it out far enuff to pull with my fingers....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

REP1954

Blackhawk
mike sr., I'm supprised that you actually get that much stroke to remove the cartridge. This is my Colt 45 Colt that the Colt factory bobbed to 3 1/2" and this is all the stroke I get. By the way thats one awesome gun it would also make a nice ejectorless.

shortstroke.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
It's a law of simple physics. You want a certain gun, in a certain caliber with a certain barrel length. Something has to be sacrificed.
When you take a medium or large caliber, and add a very short barrel, you can only have so much of an ejector rod.
Yes, I know a simple solution would be to add 1/4" to 1/2" to the barrel, to where you can add the longer ejector. But so many people clamor for "shorter & shorter," that they complied with their wishes.
I can recall some OLD pocket pistols from the late 1800's & early 1900's that didn't even have an ejector rod assy due to such short barrels.

Ya gotta give somewhere.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
REP1954 said:
mike sr., I'm supprised that you actually get that much stroke to remove the cartridge. This is my Colt 45 Colt that the Colt factory bobbed to 3 1/2" and this is all the stroke I get. By the way thats one awesome gun it would also make a nice ejectorless.

shortstroke.jpg

Metal finish on that Colt is awesome, what a beauty!
Sal

mike Sr.

Single-Sixer
Already have lot's of C-notes invested in this and I'll hesitate to put more c-notes to make a seeming simple and obvious change...

But I am wondering if altering a longer factory ejection rod may do the trick......or just milling down the thickness of current ejection rod on the side facing the cylinder face.

Might just be enuff to get the case outside the cradle for a finger-tip-grab enuff for fingers with a glove on..........................

just wondering

mike Sr.

Single-Sixer
contender said:
It's a law of simple physics.......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a different perspective:

The factory ejection rod at the 'push' point is quite thick and this could have been thinner to give a little extra length to the rod in order to get the case rim out of the cradle...

I'll post pic's of this ejector rod later tonite.

DON'T GET ME WRONG: THIS IS A DANDY SET UP ...it coulda and shoulda been a bit DANDY-ER..... And I am waiting for a 357 stainlss blackhawk like this.....and I have been waiting for over 40 yrs for a stainless ruger 41 blackhawk and those idiots won't make one!!!

If I am gonna spend 6 C-notes plus a transfer fee then I think this detail should have been addressed by the engineers. Not every shooter is will be shooting this Ruger in 75 degree Weather in some parts of the country it will be cold, and at my age cold and shivering and wearing gloves. Now I have to expose my hand to the cold and try and get a grip of a spent case to reload.....

As for the nice Colt, shown to us by Sal1950...I would not own one with such a lousy extraction set-up other than to re-sell it. The only Colt single action I would ever want to own, would have had to have as a prior owner: Custer, Holiday, Harden, Earp, Masterson...etc...

Colt has Nostalgia, Ruger has strength and rugged durability.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
My 45 Birds head does about the same thing. If I eject them with "enthusiasm" they'll come right out. Sometimes they are hard to catch when you have to eject them that hard though.

Isn't that a 3 3/4 barrel like the sheriff model Vaqueros and New Vaqueros? If you would have chopped your 4 5/8's (or was it really 4 3/4?) down you would have either made a custom ejector rod housing or you would be using the same short housing that you have on your new one.

RugerHound

Hunter
contender said:
It's a law of simple physics. You want a certain gun, in a certain caliber with a certain barrel length. Something has to be sacrificed.
When you take a medium or large caliber, and add a very short barrel, you can only have so much of an ejector rod.
Yes, I know a simple solution would be to add 1/4" to 1/2" to the barrel, to where you can add the longer ejector. But so many people clamor for "shorter & shorter," that they complied with their wishes.
I can recall some OLD pocket pistols from the late 1800's & early 1900's that didn't even have an ejector rod assy due to such short barrels.

Ya gotta give somewhere.

Yep.. There's prolly a good reason why they stopped at 4 5/8" barrels years ago! ;)

tacklebury

Single-Sixer
Perhaps some jewelers rouge and a .45 cal cotton bore mop hooked on a hand drill at low speed could polish it up a bit. Smoother chamber might keep it from sticking so much. ;)

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
I would try and polish the chambers in the cylinder to try and get the emptys to be easier to pull out.

However I do agree with you if you were to fire a really hot load the empty would be a real bogger to pry out due to the case swelling.

Don Lovel

Hunter
That is the big problem with trying to convert a 8 shot 327, if I get a 3 1/2" barrel I will have to drag the brass out of the gun with my thumbnail. But, if 8 shots of 327 is not enough, speedy reloading is probably not going to improve the situation.

I

Corbi

Single-Sixer
Mike, That is one good looking pistol and I have to admit that I sure do (did) want one. I would be unhappy too!

Corbi

paul105

Single-Sixer
Freedom Arms modified the ejector rod tab on their 3 1/2" M97s. My M97 .45 Colt's ejector moves about as far (maybe a bit more) as Sal's Colt pictured above. If I work the ejector virgorously, cases pop right out with loads as hot as 320gr over 21.5 H110 for about 3 cyls full if I start with a clean cylinder. Don't know if this little mod would help in your case, but it should be simple enough to try.

http://gunblast.com/Boge_Freedom97.htm

Paul

G2

Hunter
Same Problem here with the 45 Colt,,, SO I found a 45 ACP Cylinder and it is the E-Ticket. Made the shooting experience muchmobetter. :D
P1010005-20.jpg

I feel your pain, and what is with the big O'l hole Ruger has with the mis-matched hammer/ grip frame now??? fugly :roll:

I am assuming that they used the "SHERRIFF" Base pin with the next to nothing button. If not make your own and grind away.
Kinda see it here;
14lsghv.jpg

5l2c1z.jpg

You could also thin the backside of the ERB to gain another ~1/8th. Kinda the same thought as the freedon arms/ gunblast artical above.

REP1954

Blackhawk
[quote
5l2c1z.jpg

[/quote]

G2 this scratched up birdshead is just the cats meow. Are you going to do a matching 45ACP cylinder for it?