Scored a Single Six 4 5/8

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Scored me a Single Six today. In the 4 5/8 inch barrel. For some reason these are kinda hard to find in these here parts. I have owned many, many Single Sixes over the years, but this is the first one in my prefered barrel length. Gonna shoot it tomorrow!
singlesix001.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Terrible, too short, ugly, just plain wrong. Send it to me before it affects your judgement!

:D :D :D

Great find! Looking forward to the range report!

3040krag

Bearcat
I've got one that really love. I wish Ruger would put the 4 5/8 in SS in the regular line up.

BuddyK-9

Bearcat
I bought a Ruger Single Six Convertible stainless steel with 4 5/8" barrel from Lipsey's and just love it. :roll:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gunman42782 said:
Scored me a Single Six today. In the 4 5/8 inch barrel. For some reason these are kinda hard to find in these here parts. I have owned many, many Single Sixes over the years, but this is the first one in my prefered barrel length. Gonna shoot it tomorrow!

Bravo!! I'd be as happy as you to find that one. I had to cut down several 5 1/2" guns to be happy before I started finding 4 5/8" guns. Finally got two in SS with 4 5/8" plus some blue ones:

orig.jpg

I have a NM w/fixed sights and short barrel but no pics yet.

martyj

Blackhawk
I have an old RSS4x that I bought along with a lwac and they were both hard to come by in good condition.
Nice find and enjoy

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Big Larry said:
If it is a "Star" gun, it is actually a very rare piece. Big Larry

Larry, could it be a star model with the 'manual message' on the barrel?
I thought the star models preceeded the barrel message (c. 1977).
Thanks,

Good Eye!!! :wink: Heres the left side of an S4.

HPIM1550.jpg

Big Larry

Bearcat
No message on the "Star" bbls. The photo is not clear enough to see the message. Here is a "Star" KS-4 I bought a few years back. Shipped 1-1975, they made 900 of these. The blued "Star" is quite a bit rarer. You could not pry my cold dead hands from this Ruger. One of my favorites. Big Larry

standard.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Big Larry said:
No message on the "Star" bbls. The photo is not clear enough to see the message. Here is a "Star" KS-4 I bought a few years back. Shipped 1-1975, they made 900 of these. The blued "Star" is quite a bit rarer. You could not pry my cold dead hands from this Ruger. One of my favorites. Big Larry

Larry,

That's a beauty! I have one from the same year #63-30100 that I bought new. And my grips are the same as yours, just a little small for the grip frame.

americal

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
gunman42782 said:

Bravo!! I'd be as happy as you to find that one. I had to cut down several 5 1/2" guns to be happy before I started finding 4 5/8" guns. Finally got two in SS with 4 5/8" plus some blue ones:

orig.jpg

I have a NM w/fixed sights and short barrel but no pics yet.
I want the one with the ivory grips :lol: :lol:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Here's how it turned out: barrel was cut to 3 1/2" to make it a shorty. Turned an additional 90 degrees, the barrel rollmark is now on the left side so it wasn't covered by the front sight. A super ss NM sight has been modified by lowering it to shoot to point of aim after dialing it in at the range. Overall it's only 8 1/2" long. It's no safe queen but rescued to be used and enjoyed.
orig.jpg

A USFA cammed slot ERH was fitted to allow for sufficient ejection rod travel by going around the cyl pin to eject cases, especially 22 mags. It also allows removal of the cylinder pin for cylinder changes in the field w/o removal of the ERH. A dimpled ER was shortened and pointed (to more easily find those 22 chambers.)

orig.jpg

The grip frame is a steel short one from the NM 32 Mag single six "Baby" Vaquero for proportion with the short barrel and for easy packin'. The wide SBH trigger fills the wide hole in the NM grip frame. The new grip medallions were exchanged for the Old Model blackhawk style.
A flat loading gate was used because they are cool.

orig.jpg

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Now thats a slick little revolver!! I really like that EJRH set up! Sweet.
I have a shortened NR4 so I might have to look into that setup.
Thanks for sharing
Terry

williamc

Single-Sixer
Hondo44, that's a sweet sixgun! I love it!

Here's my KNR-4. I got it about 5? years ago as a Lipseys special. It's my favorite gun and nearly always makes the trip to the range. In fact, I posted a pretty good run with her at a bowling pin shoot this afternoon.

ss4.jpg