Old Model 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JD Press

Bearcat
This old Ruger sat in a gunsafe for the last 42 years after having fired less than a box of shells. I have been looking for one as a project gun for some time. This one is in such nice condition that I am rethinking having it refinished. In the meantime it shoots like a champion and functions perfectly.

J.D. Press

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
That gun is too nice to use as a project gun. Higher polish, OM, and in great shape. Collectors like such things. Plenty of shooters out there to find & use for projects.

JD Press

Bearcat
Contender:

I am beginning to think you are absolutely correct!

Thank you for your input and documenting your rationale.

With appreciation,

J.D. Press

Well,
To me it would depend on the project. To be honest a 80 pre-fix blotchy Super isn't much of a collector gun.
A 95% or better Super per the RENE is $520. I have a never fired 98% in the box 80 that I probably couldn't get $650 for
A project Super will probably go for around $350.
Jim

americal

Hunter
Wyandot Jim said:
Well,
To me it would depend on the project. To be honest a 80 pre-fix blotchy Super isn't much of a collector gun.
A 95% or better Super per the RENE is $520. I have a never fired 98% in the box 80 that I probably couldn't get $650 for
Jim
I don't see any blotchy :) only shadows from the shine of the gun and flash of the camera--looks 99 % to me :)

americal said:
Wyandot Jim said:
Well,
Jim
I don't see any blotchy :) only shadows from the shine of the gun and flash of the camera--looks 99 % to me :)

Looks to me like the left side. He also said haveing it reblued.
You could be right. Owner will have to solve the mystrey :wink:

JD Press

Bearcat
The current finish is 99%+ and the blotchy appearance in the photographs is from wiping the finish with a new silicone cloth. I should have used dry cotton patches to wipe off the oil and show the true finish.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and recommendations!

J.D. Press

Hey J D
Glad to hear that. :D I love it when I make that kind of a mistake. :oops:
I sure you saw my Supers in my post here in the Gallery. I kind of like those Ole 3 screw Supers :lol: :lol:
What type of project did you have in mind?
Jim

flatgate

Hawkeye
Wow! Nice Super! Do what I do..... stash those nice ones and find a beater to shoot. A quicky reblue job at a shop up there in Newport, NH has given me a couple of awesome looking and great shooting .44's!

357690092.jpg

This old Super is my favorite!

flatgate

JD Press

Bearcat
Jim:

Possible Project Plans:

Refinishing by Turnbull Restoration - Color Case Hardening for the frame, loading gate, hammer and trigger & Charcoal Blue for the remainder of the revolver, including ejector housing replacement with steel versus aluminum.

New Grips - Fancy Walnut with old style medallions and black hardware

J.D. Press

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree that project guns can be had for less money, AND they can be turned into beautiful custom guns. To find 99% condition guns, as they left the factory,, well,, they should stay that way if OM's and are quietly disappearing.
I have a nice OM 22 mag only Single-Six that was very abused. I have given thoughts to doing something to it,, but haven't decided. Dings, major blueing wear, rust blemishes, & more character than callshot. Those types should get new life as customs.

flatgate said:
12471545.jpg

Project gun? :D

flatgate

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh come on now flatgate. With a little cold blue daubed here and there that would be one ya could take to that big Tulsa show :lol: :lol: :lol: The Ruger guys from near and far would come and drool all over it. well they would do something all over it :wink: