K77/44 Magazine Removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jkc

Bearcat
My K77/44 magazine is a SOB to remove --- depressing the magazine release frees the rear engagement, but the magazine hangs up tenaciously at the front. Anyone able to suggest a technique/procedure to quickly remove the rotary mag, or, a modification to improve this disfunctional flaw?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think my Deerfield uses the same latch. I usually turn the rifle over on it's side and mash my thumb into the latch and grab the front of the mag with the tip of my middle finger and wiggle and yank it out. It is never easy but with practice it can be done without too much trouble. Have you tried with the bolt open? 8) 8)

...Jimbo

PJR

Bearcat
This gave me fits too when I first got mine. Heres's what I do: With the bolt open I press the magazine release with my middle finger while pushing down down on the rear portion of the mag from the top with my thumb and then pull it out from the front with my index finger. It is cumbersome and requires a little practice but I can smoothly remove the magazines either loaded or unloaded without a problem.

What I wish is that Ruger made extended magazines for this rifle.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
I think my Deerfield uses the same latch. I usually turn the rifle over on it's side and mash my thumb into the latch and grab the front of the mag with the tip of my middle finger and wiggle and yank it out. It is never easy but with practice it can be done without too much trouble. Have you tried with the bolt open? 8) 8)

...Jimbo

I had a 77/44, now have a Deerfield and they are the same. My method's simliar.

I turn the rifle over, place my middle finger on the top of the mag in the cut out in the stock but apply no pressure. With my thumb I depress the mag release but here's the difference - I place my thumb on the latch with the thumbnail pointing back to the safety and "depress, role the thumb and lift" that end only of the magazine release. At this point the rear of the mag is out and released but the front is not, the mag release lever should still be depressed. I now use the middle finger to press down on the top of the mag and out it comes. Works every time. The reason some folks get stuck is because they apply pressure to the top of the mag while the rear of the mag is not clear of the gun or mag release.

Almost forgot - I swear alot too .... :lol: