LC9 Accuracy Info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I bought an LC9 yesterday for a secondary/off-duty gun. I took it to the range and fired 150 rounds to check it out.

The trigger is a bit long, but it's not too bad. Accuracy is AMAZING for a small gun. I was shooting a 4" group off hand (1-2 shots every 2 seconds) at 50'. Just to test it out, I brought the target in to 21' and fired 5 rounds slowly into the same hole (1" group).

The muzzle-flip is not bad and recoil is definitely manageable.

I highly recommend this weapon for CCW, BUG, or even target shooting if you wanted to. Very accurate and very easy to handle! :D

Loco Weed

Bearcat
I had my LC9 out at the range yesterday and put 55 rounds through it. It shoots a little low and to the left at 30'. I'm going to have to do some work on the sights. In comparison my new LCP, also at the range yesterday, was extremely accurate and shooting out the bullseye. I'm going to feed my LC9 some different kinds of ammo (I was using American Eagle) and will see what that does to the POI. I was surprised at what a mild shooter the LC9 is.

OpsMgr

Bearcat
Loco Weed said:
I had my LC9 out at the range yesterday and put 55 rounds through it. It shoots a little low and to the left at 30'. I'm going to have to do some work on the sights. In comparison my new LCP, also at the range yesterday, was extremely accurate and shooting out the bullseye. I'm going to feed my LC9 some different kinds of ammo (I was using American Eagle) and will see what that does to the POI. I was surprised at what a mild shooter the LC9 is.

Mine shoots low and left as well. And I agree - Recoil and muzzle flip is mild.

Have tried American Eagle 115 gr FMJ and Blazer Brass 124 gr FMJ so far. Picked up some Federal 115 gr FMJ and plan to test from the bench rested on sand bags. Got to make sure I'm not causing the "Low & Left" POI...

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Best wishes and congrats on the new firearm. That is very impressive shooting! I love my LC9 as well....so far 320 flawless rounds.

You left out the pic, so I'll add mine:
LC9GC.jpg

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Loco Weed said:

Generally speaking, if you shoot right handed, and your shots are going low/left, it has more to do with the trigger pull then the sights. you may need to practice more with your finger position on the trigger, and a slower, smoother pull. I say this so you can try things before you mess with the sights. There was a thread on this not too long ago with a chart that shows problems and common corrections.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I handled one of these pistols today. I had to wonder what I'm doing with a P-95 polymer pistol when these LC 9s are available. It was so handy and thin. I think I'll have to see about changing that around.

OpsMgr

Bearcat
Big Stu said:
Loco Weed said:

Generally speaking, if you shoot right handed, and your shots are going low/left, it has more to do with the trigger pull then the sights. you may need to practice more with your finger position on the trigger, and a slower, smoother pull. I say this so you can try things before you mess with the sights. There was a thread on this not too long ago with a chart that shows problems and common corrections.

Well Big Stu, I confirmed your observation this afternoon. Just got back from a quick range trip and my off hand "Low & Left" POI is all my fault. Only had time to fire 30 rounds of Federal 115 gr FMJ (WM5199) off the bench resting on sand bags but the POI was almost dead on the POA at 30 feet.

I would encourage all new owners of the LC9 to try their's off the bench as a check if your LC9 is shooting low & left off hand before changing the sights or sending the pistol back to Ruger.

I am going to spend much more time with my LC9 before it becomes my primary CCW now that I have determined I'm the problem - As always, practice will be the key...

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Try putting the tip of your trigger finger on the trigger, it's usually when you have the trigger closer to the first joint that you get the low/left. Do some dry firing and watch the sights.

Sounds like a good little pistol.

OpsMgr

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
Try putting the tip of your trigger finger on the trigger, it's usually when you have the trigger closer to the first joint that you get the low/left. Do some dry firing and watch the sights.

Sounds like a good little pistol.

Getting used to the long DAO pull will take some getting used to. Haven't shot a DA pistol in a long time. Much different from my Kimber Super Match, Glock M23, S&W M41 and tricked out Mk IIs... :D

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
The POA=POI on mine. Try putting a quarter on top of the slide near the front sight and dry fire. The quarter should stay in place if your fundamentals are squared away.

OpsMgr

Bearcat
StonewallRuger said:
The POA=POI on mine. Try putting a quarter on top of the slide near the front sight and dry fire. The quarter should stay in place if your fundamentals are squared away.

Gotta get some 9mm snap caps but will definitely give that a try - Simple is always best IMO. Thanks...

OpsMgr

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
OpsMgr said:
Getting used to the long DAO pull will take some getting used to. Haven't shot a DA pistol in a long time. Much different from my Kimber Super Match, Glock M23, S&W M41 and tricked out Mk IIs... :D

You might have to double-clutch on the pull :D

+1, lol. The LC9 trigger must be staged smoothly to get a good release - Not a target pistola trigger by any stretch of the imagination. :shock:

Apologies to the OP for being a thread pirate... :oops: