Having problems with my P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

b-ran

Bearcat
I don't know whats going on stovepipes, FTE's, FTF's, and it doesnt stay back when its empty. It usually doesn't do this until about after 2 mags after cleaning. I clean my gun after every time i shoot it. It seems to like federal a little better than other ammo. Had a gun smith look at it at the range I go to and he seems to think that the extractor isn't holding the bullets straight when its feeding causing all of this. I had multiple guys shoot it to rule out limp wristing. Anybody else have problems like this with their P95? I have about 500 rounds through the gun so far. It had a good period of about 200 rounds or so where it didnt have any problems but lately its been terrible.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
The slide not staying back can be caused by faulty magazines. When you clean your slide how far do you strip it? The extractor is easily removed if you want to clean behind it.
With the gun field stripped, use a pick or other small tool to push the extractor towards the outside of the slide and pull forward(towards the front of the slide).
If this doesn't fix it, you can buy a replacement extractor or call Ruger and see if they can help.
As far as the extractor to holding the bullets straight when it is feeding, I didn't think the extractor held a shell until it was chambered or nearly chambered.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Simple test for one possibility... when it starts doing this the next time you are out... have a shooting bag on the bench in front of you.... hold the pistol tight down on the rest and shoot it and see what happens.

fw72

Bearcat
Yes, I had the same thing with my P95. I bought it about a year ago. I experienced stovepipes, FTF's and FTE's around 50 to 75 rounds after cleaning. I had a RO at the local range shoot it to be sure I wasn't causing the problem. He experienced the same thing every other round or so. I also tried different brands of ammo with the same results. I also expereinced a gouge in the feed ramp of the barrel. I contacted Ruger customer service and sent pictures of the gouge. They sent me a shipping label to return it to them. I also mentioned the problems of stovepipes, FTF's and FTE's.

I received the P95 back in two to three weeks. They had replaced the barrel, extractor and ejector. They test fired a full mag through it and said it was good. I have not had any problems with it since.

To summarize, call Ruger customer service. They are very helpful, knowledgable and actually call back when they say they will.

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
i had the same problem you are all mentioning, i was so sick of it, i sold it..really turned me off to the ruger pistols. i will stick with ruger revolvers and my sig.

I have three P95s and they all work perfectly, but if one started to act up and i could not figure it out.... how hard is it to send it to the factory and get a customized practically brand new pistol back? Sounds like a good thing to me.

b-ran

Bearcat
fw72 said:
Yes, I had the same thing with my P95. I bought it about a year ago. I experienced stovepipes, FTF's and FTE's around 50 to 75 rounds after cleaning. I had a RO at the local range shoot it to be sure I wasn't causing the problem. He experienced the same thing every other round or so. I also tried different brands of ammo with the same results. I also expereinced a gouge in the feed ramp of the barrel. I contacted Ruger customer service and sent pictures of the gouge. They sent me a shipping label to return it to them. I also mentioned the problems of stovepipes, FTF's and FTE's.

I received the P95 back in two to three weeks. They had replaced the barrel, extractor and ejector. They test fired a full mag through it and said it was good. I have not had any problems with it since.

To summarize, call Ruger customer service. They are very helpful, knowledgable and actually call back when they say they will.

Thanks, I called them but they want me to overnight it myself at Fedex or UPS, I wish they would send me a label so I didn't have to spend the $ on something I suspect is their problem but I could be wrong. I wish I had something obviously wrong with it that I could take a picture of like you did. Maybe I'll call them back and hound them a little.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
A gouge in the feed ramp like this:
Picture059.jpg

This gouge appeared almost immediatly and hasn't gotten any worse. It doesn't affect functioning.

Sorry OP is having problems. I had failure to extracts that would cause next round to feed into empty case still in chamber. This was due to a weak extractor. Does your extractor leave a nice dimple in your finger when you move it by hand? Ruger sent me a new one for $25. I maybe could have gotten one for free, but that meant talking to a tech. But after a couple of weeks of not getting through I just ordered it. I ended up bending the old one anyways so if anyone needs an extra extractor let me know :) My gun went about 200 trouble free rounds before I started to have failure to extracts. I was told by someone who said they worked in Prescott facility as a machinist that the extractor is a proprietary cast that recieves a heat treatment to make it like spring steel and that my particular extractor must not have taken the heat treatment right...or something to that effect.
There was just another post where someone had to file on there slide where the ejector was rubbing. That was causing feed failures. I too had that problem. I doubt this is a problem since gun was fine for 200 rounds. I still like the p95, but it's the only auto I've owned that has given me so much trouble.

I think you need to hold Ruger's feet to the fire on this one. My gun is two years old so I'm screwed, but there is no way you should have to ship it on your dime. Over night fedex is like $50 or so isn't it? I know you can't send it USPS, but could you have an FFL send it for you usps for $20?

It seems I got all the good 89's and 95's since none of mine have given a bit of problem. Mine get all sorts of reloaded ammo with an occasional aluminum cased Blazer or steel case junk thrown in. Just luck I guess. The only Ruger CF semiauto I've had issues with is one I got as a box of parts and foolishly had Duracoated. Maybe after another 2 or 3 hundred rounds, it will function properly. Can't get it apart so I just drip a little CLP in it and do my FTF exercises, but it is getting better. I use it for load testing in case I get carried away and mess it up not so much is lost.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
b-ran said:
fw72 said:

Thanks, I called them but they want me to overnight it myself at Fedex or UPS, I wish they would send me a label so I didn't have to spend the $ on something I suspect is their problem but I could be wrong. I wish I had something obviously wrong with it that I could take a picture of like you did. Maybe I'll call them back and hound them a little.

I was told by Ruger Customer Service that they will reimburse the shipping charges to you if it proves to be a manufacturers defect.

fw72

Bearcat
pistolpete said:
A gouge in the feed ramp like this:
Picture059.jpg

This gouge appeared almost immediatly and hasn't gotten any worse. It doesn't affect functioning.
----SNIP---
I think you need to hold Ruger's feet to the fire on this one. My gun is two years old so I'm screwed, but there is no way you should have to ship it on your dime. Over night fedex is like $50 or so isn't it? I know you can't send it USPS, but could you have an FFL send it for you usps for $20?

FWIW, the gouge in my feed ramp was exactly like this one, same location and appearance.
I agree with holding Ruger's feet to the fire on this one.

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
i look at it this way, you buy a 300 gun, thats the quality you get...no better, no worse. i like there revolvers but i will never own there pistols

fw72

Bearcat
Ruger will do you right. I have been shooting my P95 in competition practice at a club I joined in Feb. It runs great and my scores have been getting better each week. We shoot approx 125-150 rounds each week. One time I did not clean it between shootings (I know, I know) and it was flawless the second week, for a total of 250 to 300 rounds.

HTH,